Monday, August 31, 2015

Psalm 112:6-8 – “Confident in Him”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

6Because to ages he will not be shaken,
     a memory of ages a righteous one will be.
7He will not fear bad news,
    His heart being established, being confident in the LORD.
8His heart being supported, he will not fear,
    Until which he will look on his enemies.

My last two blogs have been composed looking at these three verses even while I have been facing what to me are insurmountable trials. I concluded my exegesis of the verses, thought I understood them, then went to work and got clobbered by two terrifying situations. Then as I struggled through those, it seemed like my workload snow-balled to where I don’t see how I can possibly get it all done. All the while, I have been very aware this is all from the Lord, that He is (very kindly) wanting me to learn how to have a heart that is “established” and how to be “confident in the Lord” even while I face what to me are terrors.

I am very thankful He teaches me this sort of thing. I have lamented for years how I am so easily given to worry and fear and I certainly would love to become (someday) a man who “will not be shaken,” who “will not fear,” and who really is “confident in the Lord.” What my present trials prove is that I’m not there yet. But I want to get there. And I know the only way to get there is by exactly what is happening here. The Lord teaches me Scripture that is precisely what I need, then gets out His blow-torch to show me I don’t “got it” and then puts up with all my whining even while (hopefully) I really am learning (a little).

What really stands out to me this morning is the phrase in verse 7, “confident in the Lord.” Interestingly, it looks like verses 7&8 are a chiasm:

            7He will not fear bad news,
                        His heart being established,
being confident in the LORD.
8His heart being supported,
he will not fear,

Casually surveying the psalm, it’s possible the whole thing is a chiasm and this is the apex – “being confident in the LORD.” That wouldn’t surprise me at all. That really is the key to all the other blessings in the whole psalm – being confident in the Lord. A legalist would take “fearing the Lord” and turn it into “all these blessings come to the man who obeys the Lord.” Grace would say, “That would be nice if you had it in you to obey the Lord, but the plain simple undeniable fact is that you don’t. Give up your hopeless quest for legalistic righteousness and instead fall into the arms of His grace. Be a Mary, sitting at His feet and falling in love with Him. As you grow in confidence in Him, in His wisdom, His kindness, and His goodness, you will more and more find yourself actually living those very “commands,” not because you’re legalistically “trying” but simply “because He is.”

Another thing I want to observe is that most translations render this phrase “trusting in the Lord.” As I was doing the exegesis, what bothered me was that the word translated “trusting” is a passive. I fear the translation “trusting in the Lord” changes it to an active, with the implication it is something I’m doing, that somehow I’ve achieved stellar success in choosing to place my trust in the Lord. That would be okay, I guess, but the word is not active. It is passive. You could literally translate it “being trusted in the Lord,” but that obviously doesn’t work. Finally I ran across another exegete who recognized the problem and proposed the translation, “confident in the Lord.” I don’t know if that yet quite accurately translated the passive, but it’s a whole lot closer, especially if, back to Mary, that confidence is not something I’ve “whomped” up but rather the fruit of my relationship with Him. I can see that is what I need, to actually be confident in the Lord. These assignments and events are from Him. He intends them for good. I need to simply trust Him and love my way through whatever it is that’s going on.

The other encouraging thought as I head back into the fray is II Tim 1:7, “For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a well-ordered mind.” A “well-ordered mind.” That’s the other thing I need. I thought of that verse, then wrote out all the things I have to do. Somehow, seeing them all lain out in one place, they don’t seem quite so impossible. I will try to keep that sense in my head, of when things need to get done, what it takes to get there, and tackle them one by one.

Well, God help me. I’m headed back to the fray. I pray I can go even just a little bit more “confident in Him.”

No comments: