Monday, August 3, 2015

Psalm 112:3 – “The Best Kind”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

3Wealth and riches [are] in his house,
    And his righteousness stands forever.

Here are a couple of interesting statements. Both lines of this verse need to be pondered.

The first line, “Wealth and riches are in his house,” would seem at first glance to be a straightforward statement of fact: When a person “fears the Lord” he will make far better decisions, order his life with more wisdom, maintain better relationships, and, in  general, do the kind of things which tend toward prosperity. As it says in Prov 10:4, “Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.” I don’t think anyone would seriously debate the fact that much of the world’s poverty is first of all a character problem. It is almost shocking to me, over my lifetime, to think of how many people I have known who were very talented, very capable, very intelligent, who could literally have been mechanical engineers or nuclear physicists, but lived in relative ignorance and poverty simply because they had always made the “easy” decisions. Some simply never set about the hard work to develop their talents (like going to college) but others chose the party life and self-destructed on drugs and alcohol. It saddens me to see their faces parade through my mind and wonder what could have been if only they’d had “the fear of the Lord” in their hearts and sincerely sought to do what is best – not necessarily what was easy or appealing. The Lord only knows how many Einsteins and Beethovens have been born and died and never made good on the talents He had given them.

So, again, when a person has been godly, the statement, “Wealth and riches [are] in his house…”is not at all hard to understand. On the other hand, we have the undeniable Biblical reality that faith and poverty have more often than not gone hand in hand. “Hath not God chosen them that are poor in this world to be rich in faith?” (James 2:5). It would be callously unkind for us to assert that poverty is always the results of bad choices. James would imply that poverty may actually be a benefit to most of the human race as it tends to breed faith (James 1:9) while riches, more often than not, seem to diminish it. “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God” (Matt 19:24).

So, clearly (to me), while it is generally true that godliness inclines a person toward better decisions and hence material prosperity, when it comes to that material “wealth and riches,” this verse can only be generally true. What is invariably and undeniably true is that godliness leads to spiritual wealth and riches. When it comes to people of real faith, we all know you could ask the poorest of men about his “wealth and riches” and probably bring a smile to his face. We can all hear him say, “No, I’ve never seemed to have two nickels to rub together, but, yes, I am a very wealthy man.” He would tell us of the wonderful hope he has of Heaven, the joy of knowing the Lord all day every day even as he goes about his struggling existence, about his wonderful wife and children the Lord has given him, good friends, good memories, and on and on. “The sounds of joyful singing and salvation are in the tents of the righteous …” (Ps. 118:15). “The blessings of the Lord make one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it” (Prov. 10:22).

So, I would conclude that the first line, “Wealth and riches [are] in his house” is generally true of material blessings, but absolutely true of the “wealth and riches” money can’t buy. I know it is certainly true of my life. I have made a lot of bad decisions that very predictably brought material poverty into my family’s life and, on the other hand, when I’ve let the Word rule my decisions it has directly benefited me financially. On the other hand, knowing the Lord and following Him (though, on my part, doing a very, very poor job of it) has granted to me a fabulous and almost incomprehensible wealth. I honestly don’t know, in a fallen imperfect world, and being a fallen imperfect man, how I could hope to possibly be any more blessed.

The Lord stepped into my life nearly 40 years ago and I took His hand hoping somehow He would fix the mess I was. And what utterly amazes me is, on the one hand, what a miserable follower I have been all along, while on the other hand, He has been to me such a wonderful Lord. I could never have dreamed just how true it would be when He said to me, “And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”

One last thought before I quit on this first line of the verse – it particularly strikes me how the Bible must be read in active relationship with the Lord. What I mean is that it is easy to read it like any other book, like something that was written down and now lies there to be read over and considered. The Bible is the Word, the words, of the living God and is itself alive and powerful. Some wise man once said, “To open the Bible is to look into the face of God.” One can read it simply as words or one can read it looking into the face of God, knowing Him and being known. The verse before is case-in-point. If I read, “Wealth and riches are in his house,” I can assert it is a simple statement of truth which obviously is teaching that every person who genuinely “fears the Lord” will be rich. And I openly admit, if you read it that way, that is what it seems to be saying. However, I am a follower of the Most High God, I am His child and He is my Father. I love Him and He loves me. As I read those words looking into His face, I see that little curve of a smile and He and I both know that “wealth and riches” are something far better than dollars in a bank account or gold chandeliers. He and I share the wonderful thought of the real blessings, the real wealth and riches that I know I enjoy and that I am quite assured are enjoyed by all those who “fear the Lord.” At that same time, He and I both know that what material blessings I do enjoy came from Him.

I don’t know if this makes sense to anyone else but I think it is exactly what Peter was talking about when he said (of Paul’s writings in particular) that “therein are many things hard to be understood, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction” (II Peter 3:16). I have come to the conclusion that you can make the Bible mean anything you want it to mean. I suspect God even wrote it, in a sense, as a giant bobby-trap where, if you go to it for any reason other than knowing Him, you will find exactly what you’re looking for, be confirmed in your folly, and self-destruct, as Peter suggested.  The only way to actually read the Bible and know the Truth is to read it in an active relationship with God, to read it for the purpose of knowing Him, of having a relationship with Him – in a sense, reading it with Him … perhaps reading it as coming directly from His heart, reading it looking into His eyes. Then I don’t even care about all the other things it “can” mean. I only care what He means and I’m content with that.

Just a thought from this feeble mind pondering the wonder of our amazing Savior God.

Yes. My house is full of “wealth and riches.” And they’re all “wealth and riches” because they came from His hand. They’re the best kind!


No comments: