Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Psalm 112:3 – “Righteousness”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

3Wealth and riches [are] in his house,
    And his righteousness stands forever.

As I noted in my last post, both lines of this verse call for some serious pondering.

Isn’t it interesting that, in one line, the man has wealth and riches in his house, and in the next line, we’re talking about his righteousness? It is a shame that the two so seldom run together. It seems to me that, in this world, the “wealthy” are usually frankly wicked. And yet a righteous man can amass wealth because of his righteousness and then not lose it along the way. It is a shame that the two so seldom run together. It seems like a person with wealth could do so much good. But, as the old saying goes, “It takes a steady hand to carry a full cup.” Apparently, when it comes to material wealth, very few of us have that steady hand.

As I stated in my last post, I suspect the godly man’s “wealth and riches” aren’t material anyway. Rather they are the things money can’t buy. Then it really makes sense how he gained them through righteousness and, rather than undermining faith like material wealth seems to do, real wealth tends to secure it. What I mean is that, as I go about living my life and the Lord helps me to do a few things right and I enjoy the blessings He gives, the very blessings I’ve received only make me love Him more. When I see everywhere His kindnesses, it only makes me want to draw closer to Him. I guess that is one of the wonders of grace and why grace is so far, far better than law.

Speaking of grace, that leads me to the other thought I want to ponder particularly in light of the second line, “His righteousness stands forever.” Hmmmmm. If the statement were about the Lord (which it was in 111:3), we would all heartily agree. If it’s even about another person I know, I might heartily agree, “Yes. He’s just a good man.” But where my heart winces is if I think of it applying to me. It’s interesting to me how my heart doesn’t even like considering these words with me in the mirror.

I immediately run to the Cross and want to say, “It’s not my righteousness anyway. ‘My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.’” If the “righteousness” in view is actually Christ’s righteousness imputed to my account, then all I can say is “Hallelujah for the Cross! My (imputed) righteousness will stand forever!” That is all true and certainly worthy of praises to the Lord. Praise God that our imputed righteousness is eternal!

But I am inclined to think that the thought here at least includes one’s practical righteousness. I think the verse is considering the reality of the man’s life. Once again, I have no problem applying it to someone else. I have had the pleasure of knowing many people whose practical righteousness was exceptional. They really were just plain “good people.” But then there’s me.

Yikes.

The Lord has actually helped me do a few things right in my life and for those I am very thankful, but even as He was helping me I was failing Him. Whatever “righteousness” I may possess is entirely not me and certainly not mine. Even now, I’m keenly aware that I will only do “right,” I will only love well, I will only say the right things, if His Spirit works through me. Even as I type, I find in that truth a great hope, this power I have found in letting Him have my life, my mind, my mouth, and seeing the wonderful love and joy and peace He brings as it happens. But even as I say that, again, I am very aware, it is not my righteousness. It is not me. Leave me to myself and, God have mercy, I self-destruct every blessing He ever tried to give me.

Maybe therein lies the truth of this verse – that, for the godly man, his righteousness stands forever because even his practical righteousness is not his own?

Oh, wow. I feel another atom bomb bursting in my heart. (By the way, this is so much fun! This is so often true that I study a passage and pray over it and ponder it and then it’s only as I sit down and start typing that the Lord turns on the lights. Yes, yes, yes – in His light we see light!)

The godly man’s righteousness endures forever because, in fact, it isn’t his. We’re talking about grace godliness not legal righteousness. We’re not talking about the righteousness of “Here’s the law, here’s the rules, and I do a good job of following them.” We’re talking about the righteousness that comes through grace, the righteousness that comes from falling in love with the Lord, from sitting at His feet adoring Him and learning His heart, and getting up changed because “mine eyes have seen the Lord.” We’re talking about Mary’s righteousness, not Martha’s, the “doing right” because He has changed my heart.

Yes. That “righteousness” I don’t mind talking about. It is true. He has changed me. I myself am still completely rotten but it is true that grace has changed me. He taught me that love is what matters and I “see” it. He showed me His faithfulness and made me want to be faithful too. He showed me people’s brokenness and made me want to be kind. He showed me my rottenness and made me want to let His Spirit rule instead of mine. He showed me Jesus’ strength of character and made me want to be strong too. There is definitely a sense in which all of this is my righteousness. It is me. But it isn’t me. It’s Him … in me. And it does stand forever because He’s done it in me. When He changes me I am changed forever. I can never be the same.

Oh, my. What a wonderful Lord He is. As rotten as I am, even I can talk about my righteousness that stands forever – not for anything I’ve done but because His grace has conquered me. What a wonderful Savior Jesus is – to not only save us with His imputed righteousness but then to go on and fix us with a practical righteousness that’s still His!

Wow.

No comments: