Friday, April 27, 2018

Psalm 31:14,15 – “Cashing in Our Chips”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

14But I have trusted upon You, YHVH. I say, “You [are] my God.” 15In Your hand [are] my times. Rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from ones pursuing me.

These two verses, Psalm 31:14,15, are perhaps one of the greatest illustrations of faith in the Bible. Were these simply statements of faith, they would certainly be beautiful things; but they are expressed in the context of the preceding five verses, which I have earlier described as a “catalog of miseries!” These words do not represent the idle expressions of a man enjoying his prosperity. They come from a person in the very midst of abject suffering.

“All the world seems marshaled against me … but I trust in You.” Ah, sweet faith. Here, truly we see one of the very glories of faith itself – its calming, re-assuring, peace-giving power when “all around my soul gives way.”

It is interesting that David has made this very statement, “But I trust in You” earlier in the Psalm, in v.6, with one very important difference: In v.6, he referred to the Lord in the 3rd person. There, David said, “I trust in the Lord.” Now in v.14, David’s heart moves to the 2nd person and he says, “I trust in You.” “In You.” This is after the horrors of vv.9-13! Note there is nothing like troubles to move our hearts from a distant, 3rd person relationship with God to, instead, a very intense personal 2nd person relationship. In trials He becomes no longer “Him” but “You.”

Interestingly we see this very transition in the old familiar 23rd Psalm. In the first 4 ½ verses, everything David says of the Lord is in the 3rd person: “The Lord is my Shepherd … He makes me to lie down in green pasture … He restores my soul.” But then in v.4, David finds himself walking through “the valley of the shadow of death,” and suddenly he can say, “… I will fear no evil, for You are with me …” and the entire rest of the Psalm speaks to the Lord in the 2nd person – to You.

And look again what David says in our Psalm today: “But I have trusted in You, Lord. I say, “You are my God.” My times are in Your hand. Rescue me from the hand of my enemies and those pursuing me.” The “trust” is the same word as back in v6, bataq, which means to recklessly put our faith in Him. When all around my soul gives way, what do I do? I fall recklessly into the arms of my God!

And then notice the simple little statement, “I say, ‘You are my God.’” You are my God. You are my God. You are my God. You are my God. Is not this simple little statement the very cornerstone of peace itself? If I know He is my God, then I can have peace through every storm. I may (will) struggle to keep hold of that peace, but, when I know He is my God, then I know I have a haven. I know there is a place of peace for my heart even in death itself – because He is my God.

And this is where grace wins the day. If my relationship with God is at all dependent on my good efforts, then, when I get hit the hardest, I will find myself wondering if He really is my God, or if I’ve simply failed too much, or perhaps He’s finally given up on me. Grace shouts, “NO, no, no! The blood of Jesus rent the veil!” Jesus’ blood was the ransom for all of my sin. I am not a convicted criminal. I am a dearly loved child. Grace cut off the Law’s bony pointing finger and set me in my Father’s lap. Now He is mine, not because I’ve deserved it, but rather for the very reason that I don’t!

Grace allows this poor, miserable ever-failing beggar to know He is mine. Grace means I can say with confidence, “You are my God.” Even in the midst of the most awful griefs, I can hear Him say, “I will never leave you nor forsake you”-- and know it applies to me. It means He is speaking to me when He says, “Come boldly unto the throne of Grace, that you may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” And why is that? Because I’m so great? NO, no, no! It is because Jesus is so great and His blood is my righteousness! This simple little statement, said with the confidence of grace, “You are my God,” is, I would suggest, a cornerstone of peace itself. And it is ours.

That same grace and confidence allow us to go on then and say, “My times are in Your hand.”

What times? My times. These times – whatever that may mean. Into His hand we commended our spirit (v.5) and now we’re “cashing in our chips.” “In His hand” sometimes our times are peace and joy and the wonderful warmth of knowing His blessings. But sometimes, like the disciples, Jesus sends us across the lake, only to find ourselves in a dreadful storm fearing for our very lives. “My times” include the catalog of miseries of vv.9-13 – and when I find myself there, I can say, “Deliver me from (literally) the hand of my enemies.”

If my times are in God’s hand, then when the enemy says to our soul, “Don’t you know I have the power to either free you or crucify you?” we can reply with Jesus, “You would have no power over me if it were not given you from above.” “I’m not in your hand, I’m in God’s!” And in His hand we say, “Not my will, but Thine be done.”

What a precious wonderful gift is faith!

Off you and I go today into “our times.” We know not this morning what that means, only that we’ll be in the Lord’s hand.

Faith says, “That is enough.”

No comments: