Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Romans 8:31 “What Shall We Say?”

Here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

31Therefore, what shall we say toward these things? If God [is] on behalf of us, who [can be] down upon us?

I want to slow down and actually consider Paul’s question here. “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?”

Well, what shall we say?

Here we are each in our own world swirling with joys and sorrows, good days and bad days, good memories and bad, dreams and fears, plans we’ve made while in other ways feeling down-right confused, with no idea where we’re going. Into that world, the Lord places before us Romans 1 through 8, the Gospel. And what has that told us? Everything that really matters. It has told us clearly what is our problem, what’s wrong with us and what’s wrong with this world. It tells us what’s really going on in this world – our world – is a massive spiritual conflict of eternal consequence. And it tells us that our God reigns over it all, that He Himself has provided the answer to it all in the Person of His Son Jesus Christ, that in Jesus, we have the glorious opportunity to become God’s own children, to step into a place of total security, where we can live even in our swirling world, knowing we’ve been foreknown, predestined, called, justified, and even glorified!

What shall we say to these things?

What shall we say?

I honestly think the first thing we should say is nothing at all. If you or I really comprehend the enormity of all of this, how can we but sit in silent wonder, at a complete loss for words, counting on the blessed Holy Spirit to do what only He can do, expressing it all for us to the Father in “groans that words cannot express” (v.26).  In fact, perhaps the only words which are appropriate are those He gives us,  “Abba, Father!”

Yet still the question remains, “What shall we then say to these things?” Like Mary, sitting at Jesus’ feet, at some point we do have to stand up and get on with it. As I sit here myself, I’m thinking the answer to that question is faith itself. Do I believe Romans 1-8? Is God really absolutely in control? Is the problem with this world really sin? Is the entire answer really to be found in Jesus? Can I totally trust this God of the Gospel? Can I believe He really is working all things together for my good? Can I believe that He is for me, and therefore nothing can really be against me?

If yes, then why should I fear? As I look into His eyes, I feel Him asking me as He did Peter, “Why did you doubt?” Why did I? Why do I? As I think about Romans 1-8, there really is no need for fear.

However, isn’t that exactly the point where we should be? Especially in difficult times, is that not exactly what I need to do? Do I not need to look my fears straight in the face, then, on the other hand, to consider the truths of the Bible and ask myself, “Which will it be? Will I let fear control me, or will I allow the truths of the Gospel to lift my heart to faith in God?”

If I may run ahead, I even think Romans 12-16 give us a practical answer to this question. In 12:1,2, Paul says, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.” He goes on all the way to chapter 16 with many practical applications, many ways to do just that, to be transformed. It means we really can live Paul’s admonition to Timothy, “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a well-ordered mind” (II Tim. 1:7).

“What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?”

What shall we say?

What shall we do?

Sit in wonder, then rise up to try again – to try again to live this life of faith, this life driven by my trust in God.

 

No comments: