Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Psalm 31:2 – “Needy”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

2Incline to me Your ear. Quickly rescue me. Be to me to a rock from strength, to a house of fortresses to save me.

The symbols David includes in this prayer are like a string of pearls to us beleaguered believers. “Incline Your ear to me.” What a rapturous joy it is for us to cry out to our God, to know He is at this very minute keeping an entire universe in motion, that He probably has a billion other people crying out at the very same time, and yet, like a kind, devoted father, He leans down His Divine ear to hear our feeble sobs.

“Quickly rescue me.” The word translated “rescue” paints the idea of being snatched out or drawn out. The silly child has fallen into a hole only to have the strong arms of his father reach down and draw him out. “As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities them that are His.” And David adds, “Quickly!” Here we are, simple-minded children crying out “Quickly!” to our God who inhabits eternity. Time means nothing to Him, yet He knows it can mean everything to us – and once again He stoops to hear us begging for relief “quickly!”

“Be to me a rock of strength, a house of fortresses.” In this world I am constantly reminded I am not a rock. I have no strength. And I have no fortress of my own. After 60 years I will say without hesitation this is a very scary world. Nothing is secure. As poor Job found, everything we care about, everything we treasure can be gone in a heartbeat – and the truth is there is nothing I can do, in the end, to prevent it.

Right now in America, we are having a flu epidemic. People are actually dying. And not just feeble old people. Healthy young adults are getting “a cold” and three days later they’re dead. Perfectly healthy children are doing the same. It chills my heart to realize not just my parents but any one of my children or grandchildren could be next. Even my beautiful wife. The thought stirs an unthinkable, icy terror to the very depths of my soul. And what can I do about it? Pray. Nothing more. Take away my blessed assurance and what can I do? Nothing.

But I have a Rock. I have a Fortress. And like David and the billions of believers who’ve lived in this world, I go to Him. “Some trust in horses and some in chariots” but we believers learned long ago they’ll do you no good. “We trust in the Lord our God.” The inexhaustible kindness of His big loving heart is my refuge. His wisdom to do whatever is best is my comfort. His omnipotent strength is my confidence.

And I love that the last words of this verse are “Save me!” The word translated “save” is the same word from which derives the name “Jeshua” – which we Anglicize to Jesus. “You shall name Him Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.” Years ago I realized that the very basic nature of our relationship with God is that we need to be saved and He is a saving God. In other words, here we are crying out, here we are messed up (again), in all likelihood whatever it is, we got ourselves into it, and even if He does save us today, we’ll be back on our faces tomorrow. We are a very, very sad case to be anyone’s children, much less servants. Hopeless, helpless, failing we are. But He doesn’t save us because we need to be saved. He saves us because He is a saving God! It’s who He is. That’s what He does. It’s okay that I’m hopeless – He is a saving God. It’s okay that I’m constantly needing Him. It’s okay that I’m so hopelessly weak. That is our relationship – I need to be saved, and He is a saving God.

Jesus. The “radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being.” Jesus. Savior. Saving One. Immanuel, God with us.

Every word of this Psalm is a pearl specifically because we come to Him needing Him and He is to us everything our hearts ever dreamed, immeasurably more than we could ever have asked or thought.

Cry on, O needy ones!

No comments: