Saturday, February 3, 2018

I Thessalonians 5:25-27 – “Affection”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

25Brothers, be praying for us. 26Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss. 27I adjure you [before] the Lord [that] the epistle be read to all the brothers.

In my first post on these verses, I noted how this is a “brothers, brothers, brothers” passage in a book of the same. In this short little triad of three verses, we see what Christian “brothers” do.

We noted in the last post that first of all, they pray for each other. In v26, we next find them “greeting each other with a holy kiss.” Of course, as we sit here reading in America in the 21st century, the first thing we think is “Ewww. I have no interest in going around kissing the other guys at church!” We’re all rescued by the realization that such a greeting is simply an expression of affection that was “normal” and “acceptable” in their culture. Even today there are places in the world where people greet each other with “kisses.” But we don’t. If Paul were writing to us today, he would probably say, “Give all the brothers a hearty handshake.”

The point is to show clear affection for each other.

I don’t think I’m making too much of this to say I think expressions of affection are important. There are, of course, some people in this world who are just naturally affectionate and there are people who seem to want nothing to do with expressions of affection. Even culturally speaking here in America, there are areas of the country that are more openly affectionate and other places that could be described as “cold.” I say all that to acknowledge that “affection” may mean a lot more to some people and a lot less to others.

But having acknowledged that, I still would maintain that expressions of affection are important. Expressions of affection openly and clearly communicate love to other people. On the other hand, love that doesn’t get communicated is worthless. What I mean is, what good does it do to sit in our recliner and think about how much we love someone but then never express that love in any way? What good does it do to sit at a table with our family but never say, “I love you,” to never give them a hug and tell them how much they mean to us? As I have read the Bible for the last nearly 40 years, one thing that amazes me is how affectionate God is. From cover to cover in the Bible He says, “I love you,” in a million different ways. The essence of the Gospel is, “For God so loved the world He gave …” Jesus Himself is the very embodiment of love expressed.

I think, in a sense, that is what Paul is urging here in v26. He wants us brothers (and sisters) to not only cultivate a love for each other in our hearts but then to actually express it. Even in the simple act of greeting, we can just endure the formality of it, or we can actually greet them with a warmth that says, “I like you. I think you’re important. I really am glad to see you.” People need that. People need to be affirmed. They need to know someone else likes them.

Why is that? Is it not because the world itself is so cold and cruel? All most people ever hear is criticism and at best sarcasm. They’re lied to, manipulated, pushed and shoved. They can do well and no one even notices, then make a mistake and get roasted alive. It’s no wonder that is the case, when the prince of this world was “a murderer from the beginning.” It’s no wonder there is so little love. Into this kingdom of darkness (and ice), the sunlight (and warmth) of Jesus’ love suddenly appears. People (like us) find ourselves loved. And the One who loves us says, “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us…” (Eph 5:1,2).

Can I suggest a very important part of that “life of love” is affection – the open, clear verbal and physical expressions of love? Us Christians should be the first to want others around us to know they’re loved. As Paul is saying, it is a natural part of being a family, being a brotherhood. I’d like to suggest it goes far beyond that – that a “life of love” will reach beyond our church and our own families and embrace the people we work with, the store clerks and nurses – basically whomever we happen to intersect all day every day everywhere we (Christians) go. That affection needs to be expressed at times and in ways that are culturally acceptable and appropriate – but it should be expressed.

I know I’ve said a lot in this post based on a few short words in one little verse, but, once again, I’ve been reading and studying the Bible for nearly 40 years and the God I’ve come to know is a God of very open affection. I hope He has taught me in turn to be (appropriately) affectionate and I wish all of us as Christians could resolve to more deliberately communicate love to other people – to be that sunlight (and warmth) of Jesus in the lives of people we meet.

Affection. That’s what brothers do.

No comments: