Tuesday, December 19, 2017

I Thessalonians 5:18 – “The Journey Continues”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

16Be being joyful always. 17Be praying constantly. 18Be being thankful in everything, for this [is] [the] desire of God in Christ Jesus into you.

This has been an unusual study. If I simply focus on v18 and the “Be thankful in everything,” there are mountains of very helpful, practical, encouraging thoughts to scratch down – and I probably will – but, what has caught my eye is the final phrase “for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

At first I simply wanted for a minute to consider the “this.” “This is the will of God.” What “this?” Is it specifically the thankfulness, or is it the “Joyful always, praying constantly, thankful in everything”? Or is it the whole array of admonitions from (at least) v14 on?

What I found is no consensus (even in my own heart) to pin it down. Some note that the “this” is singular and assert therefore that it points only to the immediately preceding phrase, “Be thankful in everything.” This line of logic would say, had it been intended to include more, instead of the singular “this” it could have been written with a plural “these” to read “For these things are the will of God …”

Others would (legitimately) note that there is some very deliberate order in Paul’s writing here where vv. 14-15 contain 5 verbal phrases, vv.16-18 contain 3, then vv.19-22 again contain 5 (followed by it looks like groupings of 3 in vv.23,24 and again 3 in vv.25-27). This apparent structure can reasonably be argued to say that our vv.16-18 actually form a logical triad which should be considered together. In this case the three verses should be punctuated with commas rather than periods, and the singular “this” is apparently seeing them all as a sort of singular set of virtues.

Then someone else can suggest it simply refers to the whole book, that Paul, for whatever reason, simply chooses here to assert the thought that “all of this is God’s will for you.”

Probably the cleanest, most defensible position would be to limit the “this” to its own near antecedent “Be thankful in everything.” My problem is that I said “most” defensible. Especially the argument of letting it point to the triad is so compelling, I simply cannot dismiss it. The “it points to everything in the book” makes the statement almost seemingly frivolous to me. So in my own mind I have to say it is either specifically the thankfulness or the triad of joyfulness, prayer, and thankfulness together.

My problem is I don’t believe it can be both. When Paul wrote those words, and as the Holy Spirit inspired him to write them, they didn’t mean both. They meant one or the other. As Paul wrote, “For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you,” in his mind, the “this” was very specifically referring to something. For me, the fact that I don’t see clearly which it was means I don’t really understand thoroughly what he’s saying or exactly what he’s thinking. Which means I don’t really see the world through his eyes. Which means I don’t really see the world through God’s eyes.

In a sense, this is exactly why I study the Bible. Of course I don’t see the world through God’s eyes. That is precisely my problem. “And when you know the truth, the truth shall make you free!” … And I want to be free. So I study the Bible and ask Him to open my eyes, to show me the world through His eyes. “Call unto Me and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things thou knowest not.” And He does. And He has. And when He does it invariably rocks my world. His truth isn’t just, “Oh, yeah, isn’t that cool.” His truth to me is like an atom bomb that goes off in my soul. It’s a bomb that goes off in that instant I do understand, I do see the world through His eyes (in some small new way) and it’s a bomb that always leaves in its wake whole new vistas of love and joy and peace. It blows away some vestige of my pride and arrogance and selfishness. It feels like deep in my soul in some way my world was cold and dark and misty with confusion and suddenly the Day Star rises in my heart, floods me with light and warmth, gives me hope, and in that one perhaps even small way, suddenly to me the world makes sense.

Of course that’s the way it is. My heart is desperately wicked -- But He is a Redeemer. He is a saving God. His name is Jesus “for He shall save His people from their sins.” For me to go on being “conformed to this world” is to go on dying with them; but “to be transformed by the renewing of my mind” is life itself. It is part of the resurrection of Jesus that invades my dark world and resurrects me. “Lazarus, come forth!” He calls to my soul, and “when the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed!”

Love, joy, peace. Faith, hope, love. Joyfulness, prayer, and thankfulness. The cordials of His grace.

 I want them all.

And so I go on studying.

And very often His bombs go off.

And sometimes they don’t.

Sometimes I come to verses like here in I Thes 5:18 and there is something I know I don’t understand. And I know I’ve found a jewel. If only I did understand – there is something of love and joy and peace awaiting me that I don’t possess now. And sometimes if I linger and pray over it, He does reveal it to me.

And sometimes He doesn’t. When He doesn’t I know He knows that somehow I’m not ready. “He will, but not yet.” And then I love to leave things like Habakkuk, “I will stand at my rampart and watch and see what He will answer me.”

In the end, it’s okay if He doesn’t show me (now). Of course I will die with unanswered questions. The work of redemption must, by definition, ever continue an unfinished work in this life. “Beholding His image, we’re changed into that image, from glory to glory.” “He who has begun a good work will continue it until the Day of Jesus Christ.” “And when we see Him, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.”

So … to what is Paul referring when He says, “… for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you”?

I don’t know.

“You will, but not yet.”

And so the wonderful journey of love, joy, and peace continues.

“For God, who said,
 ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’
made His light to shine in our hearts
 to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God
 in the face of Christ”
 (II Cor 4:6).

No comments: