Wednesday, December 6, 2017

I Thessalonians 5:17 – “Constantly”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

17Be praying constantly.

This is an interesting little verse. I believe the old KJV translated it “Pray without ceasing.” The NIV translates it “Pray continually.” One minor (although not insignificant) exegetical observation is that the Greek verb here is in the present tense, which, as an imperative, in and of itself possesses the idea of “continually, habitually.” That is why I translated it “Be praying” rather than the simple “Pray” that others use.  I wanted to draw out the fact that the verb itself expresses continuity. To that we add the adverb which could variably be translated with our words like “constantly, continually, without ceasing, etc.”

Any thinking reader, of course, pauses on this idea of “continually” and has to question how such an employment in prayer is possible in a world of other responsibilities. How could even the most devoted person actually be constantly engaged in prayer?

There has been plenty of commentary written on this little phrase of a verse, so there is probably little need for me to add to the cacophony but, in this case, I think I will. In case one of my grandchildren ever stumbles onto these feeble scratchings, I want to record some thoughts specifically because the pondering of this simple command actually causes one to consider some other very profound matters of genuine faith.

First of all, I would like to say that I think the objection to continual prayer perhaps arises from what I perceive to be a typically legalistic, mechanical, and impersonal view of prayer. I am referring to the idea that prayer is something that is only happening when someone has their head bowed, when they have ceased from other activities, and when they have somehow totally dedicated their mind to “focusing on God,” when they are “doing prayers.” Although the specific activity or “prayer” is certainly a necessary part of our spiritual life, it is just as possible to be “praying” even while we work. Nehemiah was an excellent example of this. Upon learning of Jerusalem’s desperate condition, the Bible tells us “for some days” he “mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of Heaven.” That was an example of his formal time of prayer. But then, as he was going about his duties as the king’s cupbearer (his job) and the king (his boss) asked him “What is it you want?” Nehemiah says “Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king …” There we see him praying even as he is working, right in the middle of conversation with the king.

I’d like to assert here what I believe Nehemiah had figured out -- that prayer is simply talking to God. Just as in any other relationship, it can have very formal moments when we say even rehearsed words (like wedding vows) to each other, but it is also includes just the casual exchange of two familiar people. If you “know” someone and you’re “with” them, the two of you will talk. Such it is with the people who know their God. Jesus is our Immanuel, our “God with us.” He will never “leave us nor forsake us.” As an old book title admonished us, we should “Practice the Presence of God.” The more we grow in our faith, the more we realize and are actually aware that God is in fact present with us. He is there. David of course observed this is Psalm 139:7-10, “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence? If I go up to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in the depths, You are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast.” This of course is a great comfort to a real believer, to enjoy this “ever-present” God.

I have very deliberately tried to cultivate in my life this constant mental awareness of God’s presence. Even while I am at work, perhaps even doing complicated hydraulic calculations, or sitting in meetings, I want to be very aware that I live in the presence of God, that He is “with me.” And the natural consequence of that realization is that we are “constantly” talking to each other. Even as I’m working or talking, He reminds me of specific Scriptures or simply the importance of love. The older I get the more aware I am it is true (and always has been, in spite of my youthful arrogance) that “Without Him, I can do nothing.” The old hymn-writer got it right, “I Need Thee Every Hour.” That said, I am constantly (like Nehemiah) asking Him for His help. I’m also of course constantly aware of my evil thoughts and so constantly asking His forgiveness and help to think rightly (which by the way is not some forlorned groveling but simply an expression of the love relationship between a son and his father whom he desires to please).

Our loving Father urges us to “Come boldly before the Throne of Grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” Since my “time of need” runs pretty much 24 hours a day, so the constant conversation of even the little words “Help me” run continuously.

I believe that is the “constant” of the prayer we’re discussing in I Thess 5:17. It is the “constant” of our God who is always there and the “constant” of our needing Him, loving Him, worshipping Him, and telling Him so.

Can I also say that prayer doesn’t always require words? Romans 8:26 tells us “The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.” There have been specific times in my life when I was so overwhelmed, all I wanted to do was just sit in God’s presence and trust that the Spirit was carrying my heart to the Throne of Grace. Other times, it is not so much that I am distressed as that I just want to “be” in the presence of God. Sometimes it is nice (and once again, it can happen even while I’m working or engaged in something else) just to be in the presence of God – just to enjoy that He is there. Such a thought is not really so foreign to us, as I can do the same with my wife. Sometimes we can chatter away for hours and other times, though we may not say a word, I am enjoying just being with her. That is still an expression of relationship and I believe the same applies to my relationship with God.

Praying “constantly” is really just an expression of our relationship with this God who is constantly with us. The catch I suppose is not that He is always available, but rather that we have to learn to recognize His presence. Knowing Him more, knowing Him better, feeding on that relationship is perhaps one of the most pleasant benefits of growing faith.

Constantly.

No comments: