Friday, June 10, 2016

I Thessalonians 1:3 – “Faith, Hope, and Love”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

3…remembering unceasingly your work of faith, and labor of love, and endurance of hope of our Lord Jesus Christ before God and our Father, …

Faith, hope, and love. “And now these three remain – faith, hope, and love – but the greatest of these is love” (I Cor 13:13). As I have studied, it was interesting to find that apparently there was a day when it was generally understood that faith, hope, and love are the three principal graces of Christianity. Matthew Henry, for instance, commenting on I Cor 13:13, wrote, “True grace is much more excellent than any spiritual gifts whatever. And faith, hope, and love are the three principal graces, of which love is the chief, being the end to which the other two are but means.”

One writer called them “the three cardinal virtues.” One even went so far as to maintain that these three graces inhere in the fundamental Trinitary structure of reality. He compared it to, of course, God who exists as a Trinity, and also to light which, in the visible spectrum, is actually made up of the three colors – red, yellow, and blue – that all other colors derive from these three (and in fact white light is the summation of them all). Particularly since I believe the entire universe is logically fractal, I find these suggestions fascinating. I’ve been pondering over the Bible to see if in fact, the case can be made that faith, hope, and love are “the three principal graces.” I Cor 13:13 certainly points toward that conclusion. I think right now I would have to say I’m not 100% convinced, but I am intrigued enough to wander down the path. I think I will consider such a paradigm in this post and then, beyond that, I will start trying to be aware of the proposition as I’m reading and studying through the entire Bible, to see if I think in fact that position is defensible.

Faith, hope, and love.

Another interesting (to me) observation is that the Greek structure at this point is odd. It is literally, “…remembering of you the work of the faith and the labor of the love and the endurance of the hope …” The article “the” is used six times. If anything, Greek tends to drop the article where we, in English, would want to add it. Instead, in English, here in I Thess 1:3,we drop them all – just the opposite of what one usually sees. I wonder why they are multiplied in the Greek? I want to say Paul is making some kind of point, but frankly I don’t know what it is. I don’t remember ever seeing this construction before. Guess I’ll just have to note it and then hope I stumble across something that explains it. None of the commentators I read offered any technical suggestions in this regard.

I also think it interesting to note that the three concepts, faith, hope, and love, are abstract nouns. It is somewhat difficult to define them. One has to do lots of explaining just to pin down exactly what we mean by each of the words “faith, hope, and love.” But Paul turns them very practical by referring not to the concepts themselves, but to their evidences. He remembers their “work of faith, and labor of love, and endurance of hope …”

Real faith works. James, of course, drives this point hard. You cannot truly “believe” something and not have it change who you are and what you do. And that change doesn’t necessarily occur because you’ve decided to change. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God – and when you have seen and understood Biblical truth, it changes how you see the world. It changes what you value. It changes your paradigm of life and reality and, even if it is in some small way, still it will change who you are and what you do.  John Eadie noted, “No principle of action is so powerful as genuine faith …” Real faith works.

Interestingly, Paul notes of the Thessalonians their labor of love. Faith works. Love labors. The word translated “labor” means wearisome work. It refers to a work that goes on to exhaustion. Like faith, love works, but love takes the work of faith and carries it on even to death. Jesus is of course the ultimate example, “Having loved His own, He loved them to the end.” He not only came to “do the work of His Father” but it was love that drove Him all the way to the Cross. I would suggest the clearest and most common human example of this is a mother. It is a lot of work to carry and bear and care for children. It’s a lot of work to change all the diapers and prepare the bottles and make the meals and sew the clothes. But a mother isn’t doing it “dutifully.” It is love that drives her heart. It is love that keeps her doing it when she only gets three hours of sleep a night and when she herself is sick. It is love that makes her not just work but toil to exhaustion for her babies. Like Jacob, even seven years of hard labor mean nothing when love drives us: “So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.”

And so it is in hearts captured by real faith. “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not I but Christ liveth in me; and the life that I now live, I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave His life for me.” Faith changes how we think. Love lives out what we value. And what real Christianity causes us to value is God and others, to love God and others. Someone wrote, “The labor of love is kindness.” Paul could see clearly that the Thessalonians have truly been captured by Christ because he saw in them “the labor of love.”

I’d like to inject here that it might be worthwhile to consider the opposite of love. What is it? Our most natural response, I think, would be to say it is hate. And that certainly is true, but I wonder if it wouldn’t be more immediately practical to think that the opposite of love is fear. “There is no fear in love. Perfect love casts out fear.” As long as Peter was looking at Jesus, he could walk on water. But what went wrong? He saw the wind and the waves and feared and down he went. As long as his eyes and his heart were filled with Jesus he could do amazing things. But, in that moment, fear conquered his love. I would suggest, if we would love well, we must pray and guard constantly against fear. To be born again is to carry in our very souls the love of Jesus. That love will express itself – unless we give way to fear and let it stop the flow of grace from our hearts. Love labors.

But there is one more grace which must prevail in our hearts: hope. It is hope that gives us endurance. For the Christian, it is particularly the “hope of our Lord Jesus Christ,” as Paul includes here. Faith works and love will even toil to exhaustion, but in this world we face many, many discouragements. Faith sometimes has to work with no apparent success. We all know what it is to pray and strive, only to wonder if it will ever do any good. We all know that love is to a large extent unrequited. In this world, we stick out our heart in love, and all too often those we would love simply step on it. Why should we go on? What keeps us believing and loving in spite of the disappointments? Hope. Hope endures. We Christians have the ultimate hope because we believe we will beyond this life see Jesus, that He sees our work of faith and our labor of love, and that He will say to us, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.” Every moment of our lives matter because of Him. “Even a cup of cold water” matters to Him. All day every day, I can work and love and keep on working and loving – in spite of the discouragements – because I know it matters to Him. Hope endures.

And, of course, we should also note from the verse it is all “before God and our Father.” For real believers, all the work and love and endurance is not a put-on. It isn’t done for some kind of “show.” It’s all for real, it’s all genuine, it’s all sincere because we do it “before God and our Father.” We “practice the presence of God.” The Thessalonians had “turned to God from idols” and immediately Paul (and all the world – v.8!) could see it was real because he saw in them “the work of faith, and labor of love, and the endurance of hope.” He could see those three graces blossoming in these people’s lives and he knew Jesus had captured their hearts.

No comments: