Sunday, May 29, 2016

I Thessalonians 1:2 – “Really”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

2We give thanks to God always concerning all of you, making mention [of you] upon our prayers …

At first glance, these words would seem like simply part of a courteous introduction to Paul’s letter. However, since this is God’s Word, every sentence is precious and certainly packed with encouraging truth if we but slow down and ponder it.

And so I do.

First of all, stop and ponder that Paul immediately says he “gives thanks to God.” That might seem almost cliché, but is it? Is it not rather the very essence of faith itself that we see God in everything? When Paul is moved to gratefulness for his friends at Thessalonica, his heart immediately thinks of God. Why? Because he sees God as the Great Cause. He sees that “in Him we live and move and have our being,” that “of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things: to Whom be glory for ever. Amen.” Think about it: Peter could walk on water, as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus. He only sank when he looked away and saw instead the wind and the waves. I would suggest that it is true in my own life -- that as long as I can “see” the Lord, as long as I see Him in everything that is happening around me and to me, I can stay calm, love, and work hard all at the same time. My problem is that so easily I see only the wind and the waves and my heart fills with fear. In a sense, the problem is not that I’m seeing the wind and the waves, but rather that I’m not seeing God! Oh, the power in those simple words, “I thank God …” I need to be much more deliberate about thanking Him constantly – no matter what is happening – because in so doing I remind myself He is the Great Cause. We can totally trust Him who is our Rock and our Peace and our Shelter, our good God who does us good, and so, no matter what, we can thank Him. Seeing Him we can thank Him. Thanking Him we can see Him. Lord help me be more thankful and let me know the joy and peace Your presence brings.

Note too he says he thanks God for “all of you.” Again, that might seem like simply a polite cliché, but is it? I want to pause and remember for a minute this is one of the wonders of grace, this love “to all.” “Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden …” “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me …” “He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” “Whosoever will may come.” Other than my parents, from my earliest memories as a child, it was always true that people’s love was very conditional. Whether it was just adults in general, or teachers, or coaches, or even church people, if you did well, you were on their A list, when you didn’t do well, your name was mud. Approval was always very, very conditional. I had one teacher/coach, Louis Baker, who always, always, always encouraged me and supported me whether I was having a good day or bad. But sadly, including my parents, that makes three people who loved me unconditionally.

Such is the world we all live in. Conditional love. Performance-based approval. But, thank God, that is not His world. It is our world, perverted by our sin. Being incorrigible legalists, our very being is shot through with this performance-based approval system. God’s world is rather a world of grace, a world of “whosoever will.” His love is offered and available and free to all who will simply accept it. Is this not precisely why Jesus was so loved by the tax-collectors, prostitutes, and ‘sinners?’ It’s because He loved them – unconditionally – because He communicated a respect that could even say, “Go and sin no more,” but say it in a way where they knew He loved them. As Paul writes to the Thessalonians, he’s not stupid. He’s not somehow delusively imagining they’re all perfect. But he can honestly say to them, “We thank God for all of you.” Why? Because he sees them through God’s eyes – as people who Jesus died for. That is exactly how each of us needs to be seen. Right? If I’m loved conditionally, I’m lost. I need to be loved unconditionally. And what about how I see the rest of the world? I need to see them God’s way. I need to communicate to them the same love their God in Heaven loves them with. Grace will make us that way. It made Paul that way.

Finally, I want to note Paul’s words, “mentioning you in our prayers.” What a blessing is it to know someone somewhere actually prays for me? For me. They mention me by name. To God. In prayer. The Thessalonians could be confident that this guy Paul actually, really prays for them. What a blessing is that? What does it mean today to have someone who actually, really does pray for you? Then let’s turn it around: who knows I’m praying for them? Is there anyone I am praying for? Do we all realize just how much it would mean to others to really know we’re praying for them? I say this almost fearing that the words “I’m praying for you,” are so cliché that I wonder if we even believe each other? We need to make it a point to in fact lift people up in prayer and then make it a point to follow it up with asking them how it’s going.

May I really be a far more thankful person, seeing our good God as the Great Cause. May knowing Him really make me a gracious person who not only enjoys grace but then extends it to others. And finally may I really truly bless other people by being one of the people they can genuinely count on to keep their name lifted up in prayer. Really.

No comments: