Friday, September 19, 2014

James 3:17 – “Warrior Peace”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of this verse:

17But the from above wisdom is first pure, then peaceable, reasonable, agreeable, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, [and] without pretense.

Peace. An interesting subject. One of Jesus’ titles is “Prince of Peace.” Prince of peace. As that passage goes on to say, “Of the increase of His government and peace, there will be no end” (Isaiah 9:6,7). Some of His last words on earth were “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27). Paul closed II Thessalonians with: “Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with you all” (3:17).

He is the Lord of peace and the Prince of peace, and peace is one of the fruits of His Spirit in us (Gal 5:22). The more we cultivate the Spirit’s presence and control, the more our lives will be characterized by peace – just as James is saying here in 3:17 – as the “from above” wisdom more and more becomes our wisdom, it will evidence itself in this characteristic of “peaceableness.”

He tells us in Hebrews 12:14 to “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone …” and Romans 12:18, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” He wants us to be “peaceable.”

On the other hand Jesus said, “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth. I came not to send peace, but a sword” (Matt 10:34). When John describes His return to earth, He says, “I saw Heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice He judges and wages war. His eyes are like blazing fire, … He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, … The armies of heaven were following Him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Coming out of His mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations …” (Rev 19:11-15).

The Prince of Peace is also a Conquering King! The problem of course is that where sin exists there must also be war. Sin is not just “wrong.” It is death. It is self-destruction. It robs people and their world of the very peace He intended us to enjoy. That is precisely why Jesus comes as a Conquering King. Sin must first be destroyed, in order for His kingdom of peace to come about. That is why He flew into a rage and cleansed the Temple. That is why He waged a bitter war against the Pharisees (Matt 23). The Prince of Peace had to battle against the very people and practices that robbed His world (our world) of peace.

Therein explains our own struggle with this thing called peace. I know everyone is wired differently, but over the years the Psalmist’s words have been almost painful to me every time I read them, “Too long have I lived among those who hate peace. I am a man of peace; but when I speak, they are for war” (Psalm 120:6,7). I don’t think it makes me any better than anyone else, but it seems like my very soul has always been wired for peace. That’s what I mean, “I know everyone is wired differently.” Obviously, there are people who are apparently wired for war, and I guess there must be. Someone has to be the General and the policeman and the prize fighter and the NFL lineman. There are fights that must be fought and it’s a good thing if someone seems wired to make it happen. But I am not. Of course that becomes my weakness when it is time to fight – I’m so utterly inclined to avoid it. “I am a man of peace.”

But it seems to me that most people actually don’t want peace. They’ll say they do, but if their life isn’t filled with drama, they’ll do whatever it takes to create some. It seems like most people live in a soap opera and they want to. Peace is apparently too dull and boring. The world is that way too. If we aren’t in a war, we’re rattling swords with someone trying to start one. Some historian apparently claimed that human history has only enjoyed two years without war somewhere on the globe. I know, I know, I know we are of our father the devil and the lusts of our father we will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, the father of lies. Of course that is why the world is the way it is, hurting and lying. But I still don’t like it.Too long have I lived among those who hate peace. I am a man of peace …” I want to go home.

Oh, well. I guess rant over. I’m so glad real wisdom makes people “peaceable.” A fruit of the Spirit is peace and its presence in our hearts makes us “peaceable.” For most people, that’s a good thing and I wish there was more of it going around. For people like me who are peaceable to a fault, it’s good to know that the Prince of Peace is also a warrior, a man who will fight a fight when it needs to be fought. Whatever direction we’re naturally inclined we can find the perfect balance in our wonderful Lord Jesus. He alone is perfectly peaceable when He should be, and just as quick to take up the sword when that is the right thing to do. No matter how we’re inclined, the more we’re like Him, the more balanced we’ll become.

I guess I just think the world could use a whole lot more of people being peaceable and whole lot less of being argumentative and testy and difficult. I long for the day when “the wolf will lie down with the lamb … and they shall neither hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain” (Isaiah 11:6-9).

Peace. Peaceable. Yes.

When it should be.

No comments: