Thursday, September 11, 2014

James 3:17 – “True Truth”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of this verse:

17But the from above wisdom is first pure, then peaceable, reasonable, agreeable, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, [and] without pretense.

As I studied verses 13-16, I lamented the sad fact that the very “wisdom” I think is true may turn out to be instead demonic! The Lord gives us the clue to look to our hearts and see how our “wisdom” is affecting our inmost being. If it is stirring troublesome, contentious, bitter emotions, then I have great reason to fear myself and take serious stock before the Lord.

But, fortunately for us, the very next words are “But the wisdom from above …” It is literally “the from above wisdom.” I want to stop and camp on this thought for a few minutes.

Note that the only true wisdom is “from above” wisdom. The same word “from above” occurred back in 1:17 and applies here: “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights …” True wisdom comes down from the Father of Lights. It can only be obtained from God Himself. He even offers back in 1:5 that He will give His wisdom generously to anyone who asks for it – but notice even there it is clearly coming directly from Him.

I am very glad to read these words this morning. I have been troubled lately over the realization how much we are all lied to. I’ve come to the conclusion that almost nothing the government tells us is true. They are very deliberately and specifically telling us what they want us to hear, manipulating us. The American press, which ought to be the heralds of truth, is instead the lapdog of the left, engaged in a giant mission of social engineering. They report only the news they want us to hear and report in ways designed to stir leftist liberal sympathies and to demonize anyone with conservative leanings. Even on the conservative side, I see much being written that exaggerates the evils of the left and emphasizes the negative to the point I’m not even sure I believe them anymore.

Then there is the scientific community. Science is supposed to be the pursuit of facts. Instead, I now realize that every research project undertaken is paid for by someone with an agenda. The “research” will “prove” whatever the money/power people want it to prove – or someone will be out of a job, or get no more research grants, or be discredited in the scientific community. For example, there is research out there which conclusively proves fluoridation of the water supply is good for children’s teeth. There is also research out there that conclusively “proves” it does no good at all and rather is actually dangerous! The old adage applies: “Figures lie and liars figure.” The whole “global warming” charade is the same. Why do you suppose its supporters keep getting caught fudging their data? Obviously it isn’t true and they have to “cook the books” to make it look true. Someone is paying them to “prove” it.

All of this leaves me with a bewildered feeling. I don’t know who or what to believe any more. Then I read “But the wisdom from above ..” and I’m reminded there is actually one place I can go where “truth” is true – rightly divided Scripture, the Bible, the words of the living God. Jesus said, “I am the Truth.” What a comfort, what a delight to be able to open my Bible, read the words there, and know that I am reading absolute truth!

Of course even the Bible itself is susceptible to misinterpretation, manipulation, and misuse. But that is precisely why I spend the time studying. I pull the passages apart at their Greek and Hebrew seams asking the question, “What is God saying … and what is He not saying?” I try to compare what I find to the ways I am seeing the world, even the ways I may have understood the passage in the past. I want to get at the truth, the pure, unadulterated truth.

And not only is careful study important but our looking into the Bible needs to be undertaken as simply one more expression of our personal relationship with God. It is   “from above” wisdom. The Bible is not cold, dead facts arranged on paper for us to dissect and compile. The Bible is the words of the living God, who is our very present Help, and must be read that way. Someone once said, “To read the Bible is to look into the very face of God.” I like that. I enjoy reading and studying the Bible with the sense that God is, in fact, very present, these are His words He’s speaking to me, just as He did with Moses, “face to face.” I believe reading and studying the Bible in the presence of God protects us from even that being distorted. No matter what I’m studying, I want to come out of it knowing God better. I want to see Him as I study.

And these words, even though brief, I believe reinforce that desire. It is “from above” wisdom. Again, while the world lies to me and seeks to manipulate me in this direction or that, I have a wonderful, personal God who offers me truth straight from His loving, faithful heart. It is “from above” wisdom.

So I head out today into a world where very little I’ll hear is really true and even less is dependable, but I go with my God, who is Himself Truth, and whose promises to me are “very great and precious.” 

No comments: