Sunday, November 4, 2012

Galatians 5:13-23 – True Believers’ Manifesto



Once again, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

13For brothers you were called upon freedom. Only [do not use] that freedom into an opportunity to the flesh, but be serving one another through the love; 14for all the law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15But beware, if you are biting and devouring each other, lest you are consumed by one another.

16But, I say, be walking [in the] Spirit, and you absolutely will not fulfill the lust of [the] flesh, 17for the flesh is lusting against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh, for they are opposed to each other, so that you cannot be doing the things you might be wishing; 18but if you are being led [by the] Spirit, you are not under law.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


I have taken the liberty to include above all of verses 13-18, then shot ahead and included vv 22,23. I am doing this because, as I am studying this book and learning, it seems to me these verses almost express the very essence of a Christ-follower’s life, our “manifesto” if you will. Let me try to sum up what I think I am understanding and then I’ll probably have to elaborate on it for several posts. There’s just so much going on here. I for one have never really understood all of this.

To summarize, as a fallen human being, I find myself in this awful battle of endless self-destruction. The natural and apparently logical solution is to place me under law, to give me “rules” to live by that make me better. This has been the “solution” offered by all religions and apparently even the secular Classical writers of old. I would venture to suggest, the vast majority of professing Christians still think that living out their salvation must be accomplished by the governance of law, a vast and varying mixture of actual Bible mandates, embellished with “principles” or “standards” (actually rules) we make up and teach to each other.

I guess it just makes sense to us, if I can’t seem to order my life, I must need new or “better” rules to live by.

But this doesn’t work. As Paul bemoans in Romans 7, rules only make it worse, even if they are “new and better,” because I still don’t keep them and, after a while, I realize somehow I cannot.

Who shall deliver me from this body of death?

I thank God, through Jesus Christ – who has provided a better solution … the only solution: blood-bought forgiveness and the indwelling Holy Spirit.

God’s solution. First of all there must be blood-bought forgiveness. The wages of sin is death. Jesus’ death was mine but He rose again, He lives, and so I can too. As I noted years ago, resurrection is really what Christianity is all about – life from the dead, a new beginning. However, while receiving by faith what Jesus did for me purchases the very forgiveness I need, it logically leaves a problem: I’m still rotten. Until I actually physically die I am and will be naturally a child of Adam, a fallen, self-destructive rebel driven by my own “wants” and fears. Once again, the answer is found in Jesus. As the victorious Messiah, one of His royal prerogatives was the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. This was prophesied repeatedly in the OT and of course, for the church age, it came to pass on that first Day of Pentecost (Acts 2).

Since that day, when we accept Jesus we not only get the blood-bought forgiveness which purchases new life for us, we also get the indwelling Holy Spirit to empower us to live out that new life.

This glorious gift of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling is God’s solution to the problem of our rottenness. Above, I noted that our natural and seemingly totally logical assumption is that the “answer” to our rottenness is rules that will make us better – law. And if the rules I’ve followed don’t make me better, I must need better rules. The whole human race thinks like this, and as I said above, I’m afraid the vast majority of even born-again Christians, though saved by faith, try to be “better” by keeping the rules. After all, they now have Bible rules. How could it get better than that? But, again, it does.not.work. They’re still rotten. God’s way is not new or better rules. His solution is the indwelling Holy Spirit. Hear Him again:

 “…be walking [in the] Spirit, and you absolutely will not fulfill the lust of [the] flesh, … but if you are being led [by the] Spirit, you are not under law…the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, ... Against such things there is no law.

The indwelling Holy Spirit does not just add new and better rules to my rotten self. He gives me a new nature. I am now a body indwelt by two spirits: my spirit – the rotten one I was born with, and the Holy Spirit. In my spirit, I am a child of Adam, but indwelt by the Holy Spirit I am a child of God. Indwelt by the Holy Spirit, I now have a new nature that actually wants to do right, that can understand God’s heart, that actually embraces holiness as a desirable way of life.

Now rather than “keeping the rules,” I would “walk in the Spirit,” which from my study I believe means to choose to be aware of His indwelling, of His presence, and to allow Him to actually be my spirit. The Word itself doesn’t give me “rules” to follow, it informs me of God’s heart, helps me see what really is right and wrong, what really is important and what is not. It is “the mind of the Spirit.” As I allow Him to be my spirit, informed by the Word, to help me see myself and my life and my choices through God’s eyes, I find myself choosing, valuing, and actually enjoying “love and joy and peace …” “Against such things there is no law”. I find myself enjoying the freedom to rise above my wants and fears and actually experience real love for God and the people around me.

But. It is a battle. It is a battle because my own rotten spirit is unfortunately alive and well and absolutely bent on ruling me. I still want things. I still fear I may not get them. My wants and fears seem to overpower whatever resolve I may have had to walk in the Spirit. And not only is my old nature seemingly powerful, it is also very deceptive. It will actually embrace holiness, choose to act in loving, kind, virtuous ways, to be a “good Christian” … as long as it thinks those choices will get what it wants – so that I can actually think I am “walking in the Spirit,” doing right, following God, etc., even though the truth is I am walking in the flesh – as evidenced by how quickly I can turn rotten when in fact I don’t get “what I want.” It is a battle. “The flesh lusts against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh. The two are opposed to each other.”

But this is the battle. The battle is not a matter of keeping new and better rules. The battle is between my flesh and the Holy Spirit over who will control my life. It is not enough to resolve to “keep the rules.” I will pursue that goal in my flesh, still very much driven by my “wanter.” I may do a lot of things “right” but through it all, I’ll still be rotten. It will fail. Instead I must resolve to allow the Holy Spirit to be my spirit, to enable me to embrace God’s heart, to see the world through His eyes, to allow the Word to inform me how in fact He does see the world, and then to live out God’s heart not because I have to (flesh) but because I truly want to (Spirit).

One last thing I want to inject: By faith I have to believe that the Holy Spirit is far more powerful than my spirit. It doesn’t feel that way. Perhaps it is because I’m new to this, but the voice of my flesh seems to utterly drown out the Spirit’s. My “wanter” seems to completely overpower any resolve I might have to walk in the Spirit. But that cannot be true. For crying out loud, the Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity! I am indwelt by the very power that spoke the universe into being. The “power” of my flesh must be another of its devious deceptions which I must conquer by faith. It is powerful. That is indisputable. As the passage says, as the flesh and the Spirit vie for control, I “cannot do what I wish.” which I take to mean that both get in each other’s way – that I succeed in neither to the extent I’d like to. My flesh is in fact powerful. But it is powerful the same way the devil is powerful. That power only conquers me if I let it. I have an infinite Divine power available to conquer it. I have to believe that and step out.

It is my Manifesto: Enjoy my blood-bought forgiveness and live out the gift Jesus provides – the ability to live out the life God intends for me – a life of real freedom, a life of love and joy and peace. Not because I “have to” but because I want to.

No comments: