Monday, November 12, 2012

Galatians 5:13-23 – “The Battle”



Once again, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

13For brothers you were called upon freedom. Only [do not use] that freedom into an opportunity to the flesh, but be serving one another through the love; 14for all the law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15But beware, if you are biting and devouring each other, lest you are consumed by one another.

16But, I say, be walking [in the] Spirit, and you absolutely will not fulfill the lust of [the] flesh, 17for the flesh is lusting against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh, for they are opposed to each other, so that you cannot be doing the things you might be wishing; 18but if you are being led [by the] Spirit, you are not under law.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I was thinking I was ready to move on but as I look at the passage, there’s still so much to ponder. As I read it this morning, I particularly notice the battle. In a sense “the battle” is what legalism is all about – the battle going on inside of every person, believer or not – the battle of living with “right and wrong.” I personally think in part it (the battle) comes from the fact we were made in the image of God, morally responsible and accountable (which image even unbelievers still bear) and part of it is the sense of law which I think God implanted in us as fallen people (to keep us at least from being as bad as we could be).  There simply is a battle going on inside every one of us. Legalism once again proposes the answer has something to do with law, more rules, less rules, new and better rules, restoring old-fashioned rules, etc., etc. As we learn from Galatians, God’s answer is not law but grace: blood-bought forgiveness and the indwelling Holy Spirit. But, from the passage before us (and from hard experience) we see that even the very Holy Spirit’s indwelling doesn’t end the battle inside us.

Somehow, way down deep in my heart, I think I have to come to grips with this myself. Even the Holy Spirit’s indwelling doesn’t end the battle. It only equips us to fight the battle. Everyone, regenerate or not, fights this battle within themselves. The whole point of Jesus’ outpouring the gift of Holy Spirit indwelling was to give us His power to fight the battle – not, in the short run, to win it but to empower us to fight it. Martin Luther struggled with this but told himself, “Martin, you will never be without sin, for you have flesh. Despair not, but resist the flesh.”  His advice to us was: “Do not despair if you feel the flesh battling against the Spirit or if you cannot make it behave. For you to follow the guidance of the Spirit in all things without interference on the part of the flesh is impossible. You are doing all you can if you resist the flesh and do not fulfill its demands.”

The fight. We are free; but we must guard lest that freedom become a beachhead for our rottenness. We must love others; if we don’t we’ll bite and devour each other. We must choose to be walking in the Spirit; but we have to beware of instead fulfilling the lusts of our flesh. We must let ourselves be led by the Spirit; but we are in danger of instead resorting to law.

It’s the battle. “… the flesh is lusting against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh, for they are opposed to each other, so that you cannot be doing the things you might be wishing…”   Eadie observed, “They maintain this reflex warfare, and they cannot coalesce, for they are contrary the one to the other … The phrase “opposed to each other” describes not only actual antagonism, but undecided result.  

Perhaps it’s the “undecided result” my heart doesn’t like. As I have learned these things and have been trying to apply them, I don’t necessarily feel like I’m doing any better. I’m still just as impatient and rotten. I wish I could feel like my realization of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling, my sense of His presence, my determination to in fact draw on His power could mean some kind of significant and measurable improvement. But I can’t say it has. I think I am more aware of my rottenness, more aware that I am being impatient or unloving. I just don’t know that I’m winning the battle to change it. But then I read, “… so that you cannot be doing the things you might be wishing…” Even Paul’s “victory” in Romans 7 doesn’t actually conclude with his success. He’s still bemoaning his failures, “O, wretched man that I am! when he asserts, “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!And to make himself clear that the battle isn’t over, he actually concludes that chapter with “So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my flesh a slave to the law of sin.”  

Hmmmm. Not sure what to do with this. I wish I did feel like it was all making more of a difference, that I was doing a better job of putting off the old self and putting on Christ. Perhaps there is more to understand. Perhaps it is possible to do “better;” I just don’t see it yet. Or perhaps it’s just “the battle.” In this fractal universe, I’ve often noticed Exodus 23:28-30: “I will send the hornet ahead of you to drive the Hivites, Canaanites and Hittites out of your way.  But I will not drive them out in a single year, because the land would become desolate and the wild animals too numerous for you. Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land. “Little by little I will drive them out before you …”   The Lord could have just nuked the Promised Land, cleared out the Canaanites, and handed it all to the Israelites with a bow on top. But He didn’t. He made them fight for it. And even their fight, He told them ahead of time, wouldn’t be successful in a year. It would take time. It would be a process. They’d have to stay at it. That’s the same pattern, it would seem to me, that we face in this battle of sanctification.

Maybe I expect too much. Maybe I’m hoping for too much. I wish there could be a quantum leap of improvement. If there is a way, as I said above, I still don’t see it. So … I will keep studying to understand better and keep at least trying to fight. “You are doing all you can if you resist the flesh and do not fulfill its demands,” said Martin Luther. I guess if that is where I feel I am, at least I’m in good company!

“Carry on, my wayward son. There’ll be peace when you are done.” (Kansas)

No comments: