Sunday, August 12, 2012

Galatians 4:8-20 – Love and Reality

As usual, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

8But you, not then knowing God, were enslaved to ones not being gods by nature, 9but now, knowing God (or rather being known by God), how are you turning to the weak and beggarly basic principles to which you are desiring to be enslaved once more? 10You are observing days and months and seasons and years. 11I am afraid of you lest I have labored in vain into you. 12Brethren I ask of you, become as I [am] because [I became] as you [are].

 You have not injured me at all. 13But I know that I preached to you at the first through weakness of the flesh 14and you did not treat me with contempt neither rejected my affliction in my flesh but you accepted me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. 15Therefore, where is your pronounced blessing? For I testify to you that, if [you had the] power, you would have given to me, plucking out your eyes.

 16Thus am I become your enemy telling you the truth? 17They are not earnestly desiring you rightly but they are wishing to exclude you that you might earnestly desire them, 18and [it is] fitting to be zealous always in fitting things and not only in my presence with you. 19My little children, for whom I am in labor again until Christ be formed in you … 20and I was wishing to be being present now with you and to change my voice because I am perplexed with you.

I have found this string of verses very interesting. It is very instructive both as a whole and also in parts.

As a whole, what we see is a very real and specific application of I Cor 13:4-7, a love that is “patient and kind, seeks not its own, always protects, always hopes, always perseveres.” Paul says, “You have not injured me at all.” We could obviously say, “Oh yes they have!” But here we are seeing a love that is overcoming judgment. Like Jesus Himself, though nailed to a cross of their foolishness and ingratitude, Paul’s heart is saying, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” He’s not taking it personally, even though their offense against him is in fact quite personal.

I have to confess, this passage is deeply convicting to me. My heart knows little of a love like this. I certainly enjoy “loving” people, doing whatever I can for them, even sacrificing on their behalf; but what happens when those same people, instead of accepting and appreciating that “love” instead turn on me, accuse me and malign me? My heart naturally doesn’t have “the time of day” for them. “Shake the dust from your shoes and move on,” my angry selfish heart piously quotes. And maybe I should, but what about my heart? Love always perseveres. Hmmmm. Mine certainly doesn’t. I noted early in the book that it amazes me that God committed an entire book of Scripture to confronting these foolish Galatians, that Paul wrote this entire 6-chapter letter energetically trying to reclaim this errant church. I said then, I hope God teaches me something that will help my own love be more like His. I can’t say I’m any different yet, but the Holy Spirit in my heart is certainly calling me to this Christ-like standard of love. I guess at this point, my conclusion is that we are here talking about a love that truly is heart business, that is a fruit of the Spirit, not a “rule” I can live out. I am praying, asking Him to in fact help me live this kind of love, and as I face these very situations, I am grieving at my hard heart and trying to let Him change me. But, again, I have to admit, such a love is “high, I cannot attain unto it.” By the power of His indwelling Spirit, may the Lord work His heart-changing miracles in this sinner’s heart!

Exegetically speaking this is another passage where the Greek is challenging to translate. Verse 19 is actually an unfinished sentence while the logic throughout this section seems abrupt and difficult. Concerning verse 19 Calvin notes, “The style is abrupt, which is usually the case with highly emotional passages. Strong feeling, from the difficulty of finding adequate expression, breaks off our words when half-uttered, while the powerful emotion chokes the utterance …[Paul] is now so oppressed with grief, that he almost faints from exhaustion without completing his sentence.” Barnes notes regarding this section, “There is great brevity in this passage, and no little obscurity, and a great many interpretations given of it by commentators …” However, Barnes goes on to say, “The sense of the passage, however, it seems to me, cannot be difficult”. And Eadie recommends, as always, the “obvious and simplest explanation” which can be derived “without resort to grammatical torture, undue dilation, or remote reference.” My translation offered above is very wooden as I’m trying to leave it as literal as possible. But I think all of the major translations offer reasonably good representations of the text, as Eadie says presenting the “obvious and simple.”

A couple of things that jump out at me in the text: Paul asks them in v9, “How are you turning to the weak and beggarly principles to which you are desiring to be enslaved once more?” He specifically points out, “You are observing days and months and seasons and years.” The obvious understanding is that they are embracing the Jewish habit of observing the Sabbaths, and new moons, and the various feasts (Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles, etc.). This is the very thing Paul addresses in Col 2:16, Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day,” and  he goes on there to explain in v17, “These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”  Once again, a person could take offense at these OT-ordained practices being called “weak and beggarly elements”. But in this new dispensation of the risen, victorious Messiah and the outpoured and indwelling Holy Spirit, that is exactly what they are. They are the rules of the old childish tutelage. A Spirit-indwelt NT believer would be perfectly free to practice any one of these things if they wish, but only from the perspective of a mature heir doing so within the freedom of living out their very real and personal heart-relationship with God. The Galatians are practicing these things legalistically, as if they are a relationship with God. “Why in the world,” he asks, “would you grasp at the shadow, when the reality stands before you?”

Who would hug at the shadow of their child while the child themself stands before you? But that is exactly the absurdity of legalism. Why clutch after rules to somehow define our relationship with God, while as NT believers we are sitting in His very lap? Embrace Him! I would suggest the best place from which to discern His will, the best place from which to discern what truly is right and good and important, is to be found wrapped in His big arms with our face buried in His big strong loving chest. When we’re close enough to hear His beating heart, to feel the rise of fall of His breathing chest, so close He has only to lean down and whisper in our ears, then, and only then, can we expect to truly understand. And that is our place and our privilege as NT believers. Why on earth should the Galatians, and why on earth should we settle for anything less?

May my heart be filled with the reality of Christ, not grasping after shadows! And may my relationship with Him help me learn the kind of love that rises above and sees through to the need behind people’s sometimes unloving responses.

He’s so awesome. “Nearer my God to Thee”.

No comments: