Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Galatians 4:8-20 – Love and Legalists


As usual, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

8But you, not then knowing God, were enslaved to ones not being gods by nature, 9but now, knowing God (or rather being known by God), how are you turning to the weak and beggarly basic principles to which you are desiring to be enslaved once more? 10You are observing days and months and seasons and years. 11I am afraid of you lest I have labored in vain into you. 12Brethren I ask of you, become as I [am] because [I became] as you [are].

 You have not injured me at all. 13But I know that I preached to you at the first through weakness of the flesh 14and you did not treat me with contempt neither rejected my affliction in my flesh but you accepted me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. 15Therefore, where is your pronounced blessing? For I testify to you that, if [you had the] power, you would have given to me, plucking out your eyes.

 16Thus am I become your enemy telling you the truth? 17They are not earnestly desiring you rightly but they are wishing to exclude you that you might earnestly desire them, 18and [it is] fitting to be zealous always in fitting things and not only in my presence with you. 19My little children, for whom I am in labor again until Christ be formed in you … 20and I was wishing to be being present now with you and to change my voice because I am perplexed with you.

In my last post I noted how much one sees the love of Paul in these verses. This is seen even the fact that verse 19 is actually an unfinished sentence. And obviously Paul’s love for these people had evoked a response of love in them. If they could have, they would have plucked out their own eyes and given them to him.

But another thing I can’t help noticing is the effect of legalism on them. Particularly notice Paul’s question, “Thus am I become your enemy telling you the truth?”  Wow. One sure way to make yourself a Pharisee’s enemy is telling them the truth. Jesus did and they crucified Him for it. Legalists purport to be champions of the truth. Like the Pharisees of Jesus’ day, they may memorize extensive portions of the Bible. They’re all about the Truth. Yet, try just once telling them truth they don’t want to hear and watch the fangs and claws come out! They love to say, “I know I’m a sinner.” But if you ever point out any specific instances, watch them get immediately defensive. How can someone be a sinner who doesn’t sin? Interesting.

I guess it’s something that always bears watching in our own hearts. Does other people’s “truth” easily offend me? Do people make themselves my enemy by telling me the truth? Or can I honestly say, “Let the righteous smite me; it will be a kindness” and “faithful are the wounds of a friend.” Definitely food for thought.

Notice too what Paul says of the legalists in verse 17: “ They are not earnestly desiring you rightly but they are wishing to exclude you that you might earnestly desire them.”  As I’ve said before, Paul’s emotion-charged Greek doesn’t translate well, but I think the “obvious and simple” meaning is just that. The legalists present themselves as very interested in these people. They’ll travel over land and sea to make one disciple. But their real goal is not to help people become faithful followers of Jesus. It is to make people followers of them! They are “wishing to exclude you” or “separate you out.” They want you for them. Cults of course are always that way. But Pharisees never see themselves as cultists. Yet that is exactly what they are. Once again, we should turn this on our own hearts and ask, “What do I really want for others? Do I sincerely want them to enjoy God’s blessing whether it gains me anything or not?” Back to the matter of love – that is the difference between Paul and the Judaizers. He really did love the Galatians and his ministry produced a love response in them. But the Judaizers rob the people of love while purporting to do them good.

Hmmmmm. A lot to think about.

No comments: