Friday, December 23, 2022

Romans 8:17 “Suffering”

Here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

17and if children, also heirs, heirs of God and fellow-heirs of Christ, if indeed we are suffering together that also we might be glorified together.

The blessings just keep flowing. I’ve never understood the second half of this verse really: “…if indeed we are suffering together that also we might be glorified together.” The “if” opens the door to doubtful thoughts that somehow if we don’t suffer enough or in the right ways, perhaps we might forfeit the glory. Knowing the rest of the Bible, I knew that couldn’t be the case, but still it hung there. Then I’d say most commentators turn it into a monumental drama, taking it to refer to some horrific persecution we are destined to face, again leaving us with those doubtful thoughts, “What if I fail?” As I’ve studied, I see it is none of the above, and such thoughts instead rob us all of the sweetness and comfort the Lord intended these words to bring.

First of all, let’s consider the context. What are we talking about? We’re talking about us fallen sinners, us children of the devil, being redeemed by the blood of Jesus, adopted to actually be made the much-loved children of God and indwelt by the very Spirit of Adoption. Having been made his children and indwelt by His Spirit, we now march to the beat of a different drummer. We walk not according to the flesh but according to His Spirit. All of that is itself glory and great cause for praise and eternal wonder.

It would be nice to stop there. However, there is one small problem. We’re still here. Here. In this world. In this Adamic body. In this world ruled by the prince of the power of the air. In this fallen world where death is our portion. In this world where we are surrounded by people who go on living out the lies and murder of their father the devil. If we were of this world, we would go on like all the rest, hating and being hated, constantly maneuvering and manipulating to somehow get this world to give me what I want.

But we are not. We are not of this world. As the song said, “This world is not my home.” And what does that spell for us? Suffering. Misery. Pain. However, not just pain because of pain, but the misery of seeing clearly the lies, the cruelty, the selfishness of the world around us, and feeling in our hearts the same pain Jesus Himself felt for 33 years as He had to live in this same world as us. It says of Him at Lazarus’ tomb, “Jesus wept.” I noted years ago, those could not simply be tears of sorrow at the death of His friend – He knew He was about to raise him from the dead! No. I am quite sure what made Jesus weep was to see the horrible pain of all the mourners around Him. He created this world. Death wasn’t supposed to be a part. Again, it wasn’t just the misery for misery’s sake which pained Him so. It was knowing it shouldn’t be so.

To enter into fellowship with Him is to enter into that same pain. To know His great heart of love for people can only break our own as we see people live without Him – or should I say, suffer without Him. In fact, the closer we walk with Him, the more, in this world, we’ll suffer with Him. Oh, there is the chance we may have to “suffer for our faith,” Church history is of course littered with martyrs and we’ve all experienced the rejection of those who would hate our God. But I would suggest we err greatly, as so many do, to limit this text to anything that dramatic.

We must rather let these words flow into the very fabric of our everyday mundane lives. We all can relate to the psalmist saying, “Oh that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and find rest” (Psalm 55:6) or “Woe to me that I dwell in Meshek, … Too long have I lived among those who hate peace. I am for peace; but when I speak, they are for war" (Psalm 120:5-7). It’s just plain painful being here – all day every day.

I like what my good buddy Alexander Maclaren said about this very passage, “Do not keep these sacred thoughts of Christ’s companionship in sorrow for the larger trials of life. If the mote in the eye be large enough to annoy you, it is large enough to bring out His sympathy; … never fear to be too familiar in the thought that Christ is willing to bear, and help me to bear, the most insignificant of daily annoyances … go to Him, and He will bear it with you; for if so be that we suffer with Him, He suffers with us.”

To be here is to know misery, but, if we would recognize it for what it is – suffering with Him – then perhaps we will find His joy in it, He who “for the joy set before Him endured the Cross.” Perhaps we’ll find it genuinely true, “The joy of the Lord is your strength.”  No wonder Paul said, “Therefore will I gladly rejoice in my sufferings, that the power of Christ may rest upon me!”

Then let us return to the thought of our inheritance. All of the very glory of heaven itself is already ours. In this short pilgrimage while we remain here, may we hear our Father say, “Hang on just a little while. It is My will that you should remain. Trust Me. Suffer with Me. Let me use you. Then very, very soon, it will all be over, the heavenly gate will open and you will never again know pain or sorrow. Trust Me and all will be well!”

Jesus is destined for all the glory of the Father. We’re joint-heirs with Him. We suffered with Him for a short while. We’ll know glory with Him forever and ever!

 

No comments: