Friday, June 17, 2022

Romans 7:21-25 “Jesus Is”

Here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

21Therefore I am finding the law that, me desiring to be doing the good, the evil is being present with me, 22for I am approving the law of God according to the inner man, 23but I am seeing another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and taking me captive in the law of sin which being in my members. 24I [am] a wretched man! Who will rescue me out of the body of this death? 25But thanks [be] to God through our Lord Jesus Christ! Therefore, I myself in mind am being a servant to the law of God but in flesh to [the] law of sin.

Lots to learn. I think Paul’s big point of Romans 7 has been to prove the Law (or law, in general) is not our answer. Up through chapter 5, he clearly demonstrated we must be saved by grace through faith in Christ. Most of us have no problem agreeing with him. We’re very aware we cannot be saved by our “good works.” The Law can only condemn us.

However, the next question remains, “How shall we then live?” Most of us will exist for decades on this earth after being saved by this grace through faith. What does it mean then to be a Christian, to live a life of faith, to have a relationship with God? What does the Lord expect of us? Where do “good works” fit in? What about the Law? Clearly, it is God’s Law, so it cannot be unimportant to us. Yes, it couldn’t save us, but surely we need it now?

Then, before we decide our answer to these questions, if we would slow down a moment and be honest, we will have to admit that, whatever those answers may be, we haven’t done a very good job of it. Here’s where I think all the “scholarly debate” goes out the window. What Paul is lamenting throughout Romans 7 is the very familiar awareness in any born-again Christian’s heart, “I don’t measure up.” Like the young man exclaimed, “When the Lord saved me, He got ripped off!” Jesus went to the Cross for me and saved me by His grace. That acknowledged, I should have given Him a lifetime of faithful service. Yet, especially late in life, I have to admit, I’ve been a pretty miserable bargain to Him.

Once again, there is no question in my mind, in spite of all the “scholarly debate” on this chapter, we are each very aware that what Paul is lamenting is exactly what I constantly find to be true: “So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

Something’s wrong. What is the answer? Do I need to make a fresh start? “Re-dedicate” myself? To what? To do a better job of “keeping the rules?” What am I to do? The Law, it would seem, is still condemning me. I believe, if we’re honest, we will find ourselves exactly in Paul’s shoes (sandals), exclaiming, “Who shall save me from this body of death!!??”

This is not the cry of an unsaved person. It is the cry of a genuinely born-again Christian who wants very deeply to serve the Lord, to know Him, and to live a life that is pleasing to Him, yet honestly finds themself failing. Again, I ask, what is the answer? Is it some renewed effort to keep the Law (or laws)? Is it even in some supreme dedication of myself to the effort?

No. His answer is the only answer, “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!” Jesus saved me by His grace to begin with and it is by grace alone I’ll live my life for Him. “I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live. Yet not I, but Christ lives in me, and the life that I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave His life for me!”

This is exactly the problem Paul confronted at the church of Galatia. What did he say to them? “You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?

Yes or no?

What will it be?

Grace or law?

We’re back to pondering Paul’s assertion in Romans 6:14, “…You are not under law but under grace.”

Our hope is not in any way, shape, or form “doing better.” Our hope is in a Person. Our hope is in a personal relationship. Our hope is in the Lord. Our hope is not in legal righteousness. It is in grace righteousness. I could elaborate on what that means, but Paul will do so in chapter 8, so I think I’ll let him speak!

I sincerely wish I could have understood these things early in my Christian life. I wish I could have just gotten lost in my relationship with Him and let His grace be my universe. But I suppose it is the lifetime of failure that drives all of us to our own Romans 7:24 moment, “Who shall deliver me from this body of death!!??”—to that painful realization, “I.cannot.do.it.” I suppose some people come to that point earlier than others. Maybe. Then again, maybe it takes a lifetime? I guess what matters is that we get it at all. 

I might have to keep pondering these verses for a bit longer, but suffice it to say today, I don’t think there needs to be any “scholarly debate” on this chapter. I think we all just need to admit verse 24 is our destination. “Law” is not the answer.

Jesus is.

No comments: