Saturday, May 23, 2020

Romans 3:1-8 “Stupid”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

1Therefore, what [is the] advantage of the Jew, or what [is the] profit of the circumcision? 2[There is] much according to every way, because first they were entrusted with the oracles of God. 3For, what if some disbelieved (were unfaithful), does not their unbelief (unfaithfulness) nullify the truth (truthfulness, faithfulness) of God?  4May it never be! But, let God be truthful but every man a liar, just as it is written, “In order that You may be justified in Your speaking and You will be victorious in what You [are] judging (or being judged).”  5But if our unrighteousness displays the righteousness of God, what shall we say? [Is] not God unrighteous, inflicting the wrath? I speak according to a man. 6May it never be! Then how will God judge the world? 7But also if the truth of God abounds in my falsehood into His glory, why then am I yet judged as a sinner? 8And are we not blasphemed thus and some are saying we say that we should do the evil in order that the good may come? Their judgment is just.

This has been a particularly difficult passage for me to study.  That is always a good thing, of course, because it means there is something about God I do not understand, that there is something about reality and life I need to learn, and that if I can learn it, then in even some small way, the world will make more sense to me. When I come to understand the truth, the truth will make me free! However, having pondered the passage for the last couple of weeks and having read the thoughts of a lot of other people, I can’t say it makes any more sense to me. Sometimes by sitting down like this and typing, things do come together in my head, so I’ll venture to at least articulate my confusion.

Here’s my basic problem: To me the questions that are posed are just plain stupid. Obviously, at this point, Paul felt it necessary to pause in his argument and address these questions. As I related in my last post, I have no problem with the first question, “What about the Jew?” I personally find that a very intelligent question of anyone who reads and understands their Bible. Barrels of ink have been spent over the years by theologians trying to explain the place of the Jew especially in the present Church Age and then into the future. In fact, I strongly suspect the question hasn’t been probed enough, but I’ll have to leave that for another post.

To me that is an insightful, intelligent question, worthy of response. But then we go on to “Will their lack of faith nullify the faithfulness of God?” and “Is not God unjust in bringing His wrath on us?” and “If my falsehood enhances God’s truthfulness and so increases His glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?” and “Let us do evil that good may result!”

Stupid. I feel like my entire soul bristles at those questions. To me, they don’t even deserve acknowledgment, much less a response. I wouldn’t waste my breath or my ink even answering them. The people who ask such questions aren’t asking because they want an answer. They’re asking because they’ve already decided they don’t want the true God ruling over them. As it says in Proverbs, “When a wise man contends with a fool, the fool scoffs and rages, and there is no peace.”

So then why does Paul “waste his ink” answering such stupidity? I’ll take that one step further and ask, why does God? Though Paul is the writer, what he’s writing is God’s Word. For some reason, even God Himself thought these questions should be recorded and addressed. He’s taking up space in one of the most important books (Romans) in the most important book (the Bible) ever written to acknowledge and answer these questions. Obviously, Paul and God disagree with me. I think anyone sensible can see that puts me in a rather precarious position!

As I’ve pondered this, I think perhaps a part of the answer is in what appear to be two completely conflicting verses in Proverbs 26: “4Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. 5Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes”. There you go. “Don’t answer a fool according to his folly” and “Answer a fool according to his folly.” We should do both! That would rather seem a challenge. But I think, considering this passage in Romans, what happens is my mind settles into v. 4, “Don’t answer him,” while Paul (and the Lord) move on to v. 5, “Answer him.”

Interestingly, I think we can see in vv. 1-8 that Paul shares my revulsion at the questions themselves. Two times (vv. 4 & 6) he exclaims “Mai genoito!” which means literally, “May it never be!” and which is, in Greek, a strong exclamation of aversion. In v.5 he clarifies, “I am speaking like a man” or, in other words, “I know this is completely stupid, but people actually think like this.” And, finally, as the NIV translates v. 8, he concludes it all with “Their condemnation is deserved.”

It sort of makes sense to me that such questions had to be acknowledged and answered just to “shut up” the fools who ask them and perhaps so everyone else listening in might not be drawn themselves into the folly. But with all that said, I find still my soul this morning wanting to shout, “No! I will not grant you fools even the honor of an answer. Be gone with you. We’re considering important matters and don’t have time for your wicked stupidity.” Actually, if my soul had the power I would probably shout, “Off with their heads!”

So my soul still disagrees with the Apostle Paul and God Himself! That is pretty thin ice, I’m afraid. But after two weeks, I still don’t “get it.” As of this minute, I think I have to just set it aside and say, “There is something here wrong in my thinking. I want the Lord to correct me, but apparently He hasn’t yet.” So, having given it two weeks, I think it best to just move on.

That is what I’ll do.

No comments: