Sunday, April 12, 2020

Daniel 4:34,35–“Nothing”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

34And to the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to the heavens and my understanding returned upon me and to the Most High I blessed and to the Living One of the ages I praised and I glorified that His dominion [is] an everlasting dominion and His kingdom [is] with generation and generation, 35and the all of the dwellers of the earth [are] ones reckoned like nothing and like to please Him [He is] One doing in the armies of the heavens and [in] the dwellers of the earth and none there is who can hinder in His hand and say to Him, “What are You doing?”

Before I move on to the final two verses, I want to record some thoughts from verse 35. There, Nebuchadnezzar humbly acknowledges that “All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing…”

Nothing.

Jesus made Himself nothing. Though “…being in very nature God, He did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made Himself nothing…He humbled Himself and became obedient to death – even death on a Cross” (Phil. 2:6-8).

“Amazing love! How can it be, that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?” This is astounding truth that the God of the universe stepped down from heaven, set aside the free exercise of His divine attributes, was born a helpless baby, willingly went to the Cross and died in my place. In theological language, it’s called the Kenosis, the great “emptying” of Jesus.

We Christians know that passage in Philippians starts with “Your attitude should be the same as that of Jesus Christ…” We know that is what we are to do – empty ourselves, count ourselves as nothing and give “all praise to Him who reigns above!”

At this point, we can all smile, nod our heads, say “Amen!” and go to our homes in the glow of our warm fuzzy. It all sounds so good when it’s theoretical and hypothetical. Until it happens. Until you or I have to be “nothing,” when we’re treated as “nothing,” when we think we did well but somehow we get no acknowledgment. At those times, we find there is a small problem with us and this “nothingness.” It’s called our pride.

Huh. What?

May I remind us all we’re studying Daniel chapter 4? I haven’t reached the end yet, but I feel like this chapter is a monument to two things: God’s grace and our pride. We’re reading about this very proud man who had to be driven to the ground – to be made nothing – before he would acknowledge that God rules. But may I remind us all, “You’re the man”? My pride is no less an evil than Nebuchadnezzar’s. I just have less opportunity to exercise it. I’m not rich or a king. But, just like him, my heart is “desperately wicked and deceitful above all things.” There is one thing my wicked soul absolutely despises – being nothing.

Several times in my career I have worked hard to accomplish something or help someone else in some way, only later to hear the story told and someone else gets the credit. Many years ago I helped an operator get his state certification and he did. In fact he got a higher level than any of his peers. A few years later he was actually telling me the story, only the man who helped him was my predecessor! I worked hard at my job and literally cut $1,000,000 per year out of the company’s operating costs and was never even so much as thanked, much less acknowledged of rewarded. My entire Christian life I have tried to say things that would help other people or encourage them and rarely ever does it seem they even hear me. I’d love to know I was a part of seeing a lot of people saved, but it seems the Lord seldom ever allows me even the slightest influence. I had a friend diagnosed with cancer and prayed hard for their healing. They died.

Nothing. In the real world, it’s hard to be nothing. In the real world, there is this unseen dynamo inside me pining to be Somebody. Down deep in my heart, I want to be Important. I want to be Acknowledged. Someone will say, “Well, of course, that’s just human.” NO. It is my evil pride that is galled at the thought of being nothing. Remember the works of the flesh are “the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life” – the love of pleasures, possessions, and applause. Works of the flesh. Idols. The Devil’s sin.

I fear we are today so far from God we have forgotten to acknowledge, recognize, or to abhor this soul-damning sin. We read Daniel chapter 4 and think it is about someone else far away and never realize the face in the mirror is our own. Nebuchadnezzar finally saw the great, eternal God and the very next thing he acknowledges is that “all the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing.” He got it. It took him seven years, but he got it. I feel like in too many ways it’s taken most of my lifetime. I hope it is finally true that at least in some basic ways I’ve “got it.”

I used to read Jesus’ words, “For without Me, you can do nothing,” and just couldn’t quite grasp it. I wanted to be and do all the things mentioned above but somehow couldn’t accept the idea that I was nothing. It was up to me. I did have to do it. I had to make it happen. Somehow now I see that isn’t true. My job is to wake up every morning and love God and love people, to be praying His blessing on my doings, everywhere I go, everywhere I am, then leave the “success” in His hands. God help me, I’m trying to be very patient and let Him lead. There may be specific things He wants me to do, but I need to let Him clearly guide me in it. I needed to put away the “pushing and shoving” of thinking I needed to make things happen. I need to be content to be nothing.

Nebuchadnezzar goes on in verse 35 to say, “He does as He pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back His hand or say to Him, ‘What have you done?’” I could probably go on and ponder those words, but I feel content to say, there in those words is the “nothingness.” It means I’m not in charge. It means the Most High rules in the kingdoms of men. Not me.

God help us all to understand this “nothingness.” Surely we have much to do for Him. “The harvest truly is plenteous but the laborers are few.” Surely we all long to be His laborers. Yet, if we would work for Him, we must conquer this sin of pride, this love of applause. We must be willing to labor in His garden but be nothing. He resists the proud. He gives His grace to the humble.

Jesus emptied Himself and could save a world. What could He do with you and me if we were really willing to be nothing?

No comments: