Thursday, February 20, 2020

Daniel 4:29,30–“The Insidious Sin”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

29To the end of twelve months, upon the palace of the kingdom of Babel, he was walking. 30Answering the king and saying, “[Is] not this her: Babel the great, which I have built her to a royal house in the strength of my power and to the honor of my majesty?”

Once again, I think it most instructive to stay in the moment as we would ponder these words. We can read the rest of the story but Nebuchadnezzar cannot. As he walks about apparently on the roof of his palace, he does not know the future, but only the present – just like you and me. If we were there on the roof with him, listening to his words, what would we learn?

As believers, probably the first thing we would see is the Lord’s amazing patience. It’s been how long? Twelve months! An entire year has passed since our Daniel stood there and bravely, lovingly revealed the meaning of the king’s dream and urged him to repent.

We today don’t know how the king responded. He may have, like wicked Ahab, “tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted...lay in sackcloth and went around meekly” (I Kings 21:27). Maybe he did and maybe that’s why the judgment has been detained for a year? We simply don’t know how he responded. But what we do know is how the Lord has responded. And how is that? With His amazing gracious patience.

He clearly warned Nebuchadnezzar. He told him the decree had already been issued that horrible judgment was to fall upon him. Yet how long has it been? Twelve months.

Is this not so familiar to us who know the Lord? We know II Peter 3:9: “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” We know it literally says “He has not purposed that anyone should perish,” and “but makes room for everyone to come to repentance.” Even in judgment, He remembers mercy. Daniel gave the king good counsel. The Lord has given him twelve months to take it to heart. This is just like with Jonah. “Forty days and Nineveh shall be destroyed.” Why, if the Lord has determined judgment, does He not immediately rain it down? We who know Him know that love stays His hand.

And how do people interpret His patience? Do they not say, “Where is this ‘coming’ He promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning” (II Peter 3:4). Even if the king was deeply impressed by the dream at first, no doubt this is exactly what has happened. As the days turned into weeks, then months, Nebuchadnezzar’s heart has grown to disregard the Lord’s warnings. He thinks since time has passed, apparently the Lord isn’t really going to do what He said.

Then listen to the words Nebuchadnezzar says: “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?” We should note that, in the Aramaic, the “I” is emphatic. That is why I have underlined it.

Once again, if we were standing there on the roof beside him, how would us believers respond to those words? Would we not say (at least to ourselves), “Yikes!”

No doubt verses like this immediately jump into our minds: “Pride goes before a fall!” and “God resists the proud. He gives His grace to the humble!” “He who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.” “Let another man’s lips praise you and not your own!”  

Pride. The Devil’s sin. “I will lift my throne above the stars of heaven. I will be like the Most High.” It was part of Adam and Eve’s downfall. They believed Satan’s lie, “You shall be as gods.” Pharaoh arrogantly asked, “Who is the Lord, that I should obey Him?” Many of the godliest men in the Bible went down in the sin of pride: David, Hezekiah, Uzziah, Asa. God had to give Paul a “thorn in the flesh,” “to keep me from becoming conceited.”

Pride is a horrible sin. In I Peter 5:5, when it says, “God resists the proud,” we should all understand it literally means is something like, “God declares war on the proud”! My understanding from studying the Bible and living all these years is that pride is an insidious sin. It actually hides itself from the sinner. In other words, you or I can be being proud and we’ll be the last to know it. As here in Nebuchadnezzar’s case, his sin of pride glares at us – but he can’t see it.

Only the Holy Spirit can open our eyes to see our pride. This is something we need to live in dread of. If a godly man like Hezekiah could fall in pride, if I know it hides itself from me, then I need to be constantly praying, “God deliver me! Help me to see my pride and repent of it! I don’t want You to have to ‘declare war’ on me!” What I believe He has taught me over the years is to watch not for it, but for its symptoms. I won’t see it. But I can see its symptoms in my life. A good deer hunter doesn’t go out into the woods looking for “a deer.” He knows, by the time he actually “sees” a deer – with its head and tail and legs and body – it’s already seen him! Instead, he goes looking for its signs. He looks for rubs. He looks for its trails. He listens intently. He knows, if he is ever to “see” a deer, he’ll have to have already noted its signs.

So it is with pride. When someone says something to us and we find it galls us, you can bet the truth is, they’ve wounded my pride. I remember a lady came up to me after a Sunday school class, disagreed with what I’d taught, and then said, “I guess I just understand it to a greater depth than you do.” Later that day, I noticed something ugly going on inside of me. I didn’t like what she said. Of course she did not “understand it” better than me. She was wrong. She needed to change! Then the Lord helped me to see that her words actually angered me, then reminded me that is a symptom of pride. I immediately saw that was exactly the problem – I was being proud! I didn’t like someone else lifting their throne above the stars of my heaven!! Whether she was wrong or not was really quite irrelevant. The fact was, it was my heart that was filled with the sin of pride. And how bad is that? “God declares war on the proud!” Yikes!!! God deliver me! Help me humble myself. The last thing in this world I need is God against me!

So here we stand next to Nebuchadnezzar as he walks about on his roof, surveying the greatness of his kingdom. The words that fall from his lips, “Is this not great Babylon, which I have built?” go off like bells in our minds – but not his. He’s gone down in pride, but he doesn’t know it. You and I would know he’s headed for really, really, really bad trouble. He’s even been warned. At this second, we don’t know when the Lord’s judgment will come crashing down on him – we just know it will. “The Day of the Lord will come.”

God deliver us.

We’re no better than Nebuchadnezzar. I might not be a rich, powerful, successful king, but I still have this desperately wicked heart that loves to be “important,” that loves to be “appreciated” and “applauded.” And worst of all that same wicked heart is “deceitful above all things.” Only God can save us from us!

I can see in this passage, even without knowing the end of the story, that the king is in BIG trouble. God help me to stay deliberately near Your heart that You might deliver me from this awful sin. Save me, I pray!

No comments: