Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Daniel 4:4-10–“Lights”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

4I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at east in my house and happy in my palace. 5I saw a dream and it made me afraid and [the] mental pictures upon my bed and [the] visions of my head alarmed me. 6And from me was made a decree to bring in before me the all of the wise men of Babel which the meaning of the dream they should inform me. 7Then came in the horoscopists, the conjurers, the Chaldeans, and the gazers and I told before them and the meaning of it not ones informing to me. 8And at last came in before me Daniel which Belteshazzar by the name of my god and a spirit of holy gods [is] in him and the dream before him I told. 9Belteshazzar, the chief of the horoscopists, because I know that a spirit of holy gods [is] in you and all of a secret not baffling to you. The visions of my dream which I saw and the meaning of it, tell [me]. 10And the visions of my head upon my bed, I was looking…

Since we’re trying to learn all we can from our friend Daniel about living faith in a real world, I think it worth pausing once again to consider this passage from his perspective.

Once again, let’s not forget that Daniel is “at work.” He has a job, just like you and me, with a boss and co-workers. Let’s also not forget that the place where he works cares essentially nothing about his God. It is a place too often ruled by idolatry, cruelty, immorality, and deception. It’s not the job he would have chosen, or the boss he would have chosen, or the co-workers he would have chosen, or even in the place he would have chosen, yet here he is, and so, if he is to live a life of faith, he’ll simply have to live it in this very place.

Just stop and think for a minute how hard all of this would be for Daniel, even right here in the passage before us. First of all, we’re not told why Daniel comes in last. The king’s decree was for all the wise men of Babylon to appear before him. People suggest a lot of reasons why Daniel shows up last, but, for whatever it’s worth, I would suggest the obvious explanation is that he, being the chief of the wise men, was detained with other responsibilities and came as soon as he could. No doubt the Lord Himself detained Daniel so that he could only arrive after it was clear the rest of the wise men couldn’t do the job.

But Daniel was called and so he’s here. And what does his boss ask of him? The impossible.

All sound familiar?

I noted back in chapter 2 that I think the Lord actually wants us believers to do “the impossible” at our jobs. I rather suspect most of the time what I’m asked to do at least contains some element of “impossible.” Yet we believers, like Daniel, pray and ask the Lord to help us and often accomplish exactly that – the impossible. I’m frequently  very aware “it wasn’t me.” I hope somehow the Lord is making that apparent to others, so they see not me but Him. I hope they realize I’m not that smart or that skillful, or that I didn’t just “get lucky,” but that somehow God is helping me. Clearly that was true of Daniel. Twice the king acknowledges that “the spirit of the holy gods is in you.” Just as with Daniel, I believe the Lord wants to arouse people’s hearts by showing His power precisely by enabling you and me to accomplish the impossible at our jobs.

The thing is it is hard to be expected to accomplish the impossible, even for us who know our God. It forces us to exercise our faith. I have to face it knowing it’s impossible but choosing to believe that somehow the Lord is at work. I need to just trust Him and proceed to do whatever I can. Also, I need to be His humble servant through it all, which means I will be respectful to my boss (even if he’s a raging tyrant) and kind to my co-workers (even if they’re a bunch of back-biting charlatans) . Daniel didn’t have Col. 3:23,24, but he knew its spirit: “And whatever you do, do it with your whole heart, as working for the Lord and not for men…it is the Lord Christ you are serving!” Just like Daniel, as we go about “the impossible,” it is imperative we learn to keep a humble, sweet spirit as we serve not men, but our wonderful Lord. It wouldn’t have been easy for Daniel, and it won’t be easy for us, but he proves it can be done.

I also want to point out again, just how unpleasant all of this would be for Daniel. He works where? In Babylon. Remember this is Babel, the very epitome of rebellion against God. Human history is in a sense “The Tale of Two Cities” – Jerusalem vs. Babel – the city of God vs. the city of the Devil, and Daniel lives and works in the latter. And what is his position? “Chief of the Horoscopists.” The what? Chief of the necromancers and wizards and astrologists and witches and warlocks! Back in Israel such people were to be put to death. Daniel gets drug away from home as a young man to not only become one of these noxious people, but the head of them all! I think I pointed out earlier, this is about like being appointed head of the king’s brothel or his abortion clinic.

How would you and I handle it if that happened to us? My first response would be, “I’d rather die.” In my mind, I could see myself refusing such a position and willingly being martyred for it. But can we all pause and notice that isn’t what Daniel did? He accepted the position. And from that pinnacle of evil, the Lord chose to shine very, very brightly the light of His presence and power! Ponder that one for a minute. I think it proves conclusively that you and I do not see our jobs through God’s eyes – but we need to. Desperately need to. Our job in this world is to let our light shine…and it shines most brightly in the deepest darkness. Probably few of us will ever be called to work in a place as dark as Babel, but may our hearts be willing. May we be ready to set aside our extra-Biblical scruples and go humbly and sweetly wherever the Lord takes us – like Daniel.

There is so much more to see in this passage, but one last thing – let’s notice again that even Daniel’s name he was given would be obnoxious to him: Belteshazzar, “after the name of my god.” How would you and I like being given the title, “Servant of Satan,” and have people call us that, have to answer to it, and have to sign it with our own hand on official documents? That is precisely what Daniel has been called to do. Right now, at this minute, I don’t know that I could. It would certainly take some very earnest prayer to convince myself it is “okay” and that I can do it actually being a servant of the Most High God.

Yikes! The more you dig, the more you see just how awful Daniel’s situation was. You and I will find ourselves in awful situations at our jobs too. It’s unlikely any of us will ever face what Daniel and his three friends faced – yet they prove to us it can be done. You and I can live a life of faith even at our jobs, even in our workplaces. You and I can let our Lord place us in what to us may be very unpleasant conditions, yet go on being His humble, sweet, compliant servants, and so show our world He is a mighty God.

Like Daniel, may you and I see our jobs as holy callings. Like Daniel, may we live in the presence of our God even as we work at the jobs He’s given us. And may He see fit to accept our feeble, bungling efforts and use them to shine His light into other people’s hearts.

No comments: