Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Romans 2:2 “Simple”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

2But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth upon those practicing such things.

I’ve been pondering this verse for a while, wanting to make sure I don’t run past something, but I believe it really is as simple as it looks. That said, it is interesting that Paul starts with “we know.” Early in this logical development of the Gospel itself, Paul says “we know.” I believe he is stating something that is universally known and that is this simple fact that God judges according to the truth.

I haven’t exactly thought about this before, yet I would say, yes, it is true. Everybody knows that. I would guess even an atheist would say, “I don’t believe there is a God, but if there is He would judge people according to the truth.”

So here we are with something everyone “knows.” However, in our fallen, adamic brains, we fail to connect that truth with reality. In these first two verses of Romans 2, what are people doing? They are taking this truth and using it against other people. Oh, yes, we can see so clearly how other people need to be judged. We are quite convinced that the Lord will hold them accountable for the exact words they said, for the real intentions of their hearts, for what they really did. No doubt about it. They’ll get their “just deserts” one of these days!

But, what about me? I would suggest that is a part of the Gospel’s work – to somehow turn the gun of conviction on our own hearts – to suddenly arrest me and cause me to realize that the Lord knows the truth. That, of course, is a horrible place to find yourself – guilty under the bright white light of truth. Who am I really? What have I really done? What have I said? I think any honest person would immediately say their heart stings under the very thought of such introspection.

Yet, like a skillful surgeon, the Gospel only hurts us that it might help us. Whether we like these awful realities or not, the truth is still the truth, even if it’s ugly. But while the Gospel would show us our dark ugly hearts, it does so with its arm around our shoulder, pointing to Jesus. There is an answer. There is a solution. There is hope. Paul will get to it by chapter 3, but we will never value the hope of chapter 3 until we face the harsh realities of chapters 1 and 2.

Those who have allowed the Lord to show us who we really are, then to bring us to Jesus, all would sing together:

All that I have,
yea all that I need,
yea all that I plead
is Jesus

Simple.

No comments: