Sunday, December 23, 2018

Romans 1:13 “Hindrances”

As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

13but I am not desiring you to be being ignorant, brothers, that I have intended many times to come to you, in order that I might also have some fruit among you, just as also among the other Gentiles, and I was hindered until the present time.

Here again we get to ponder the mind of the Apostle. These opening words are familiar, “I don’t want you to be ignorant,” “I don’t want you to be uninformed.” Paul says this a number of times throughout the New Testament and what’s important is he really means it. He does not want the believers to be unaware of many things. My first thought is to note how important this is to anyone who would be in a leadership role. How often does one hear the complaint at work, “They don’t tell us anything.” Now, there may, in fact, be many things your people don’t need to know, but there may be much they do need to know too. And do they?

I worked at one company that only called Thanksgiving Day a holiday and the work schedule indicated we’d all have to work that Friday. Every year they’d end up giving us Friday off too, which was very nice, but they wouldn’t tell us ahead of time whether they would or wouldn’t. I think one year they actually told us on Tuesday of that week. It was very frustrating. Are we working or not? We are making plans with friends and family and need to know. I’m sure the bosses knew. They just didn’t concern themselves with what their employees did or didn’t know and whether they needed to or not. Of course that was only the tip of the iceberg. The leadership just didn’t communicate and placed no value at all on maintaining an informed work force.

Paul wasn’t like that with his people. Are you? What about your wife/husband? Children? Do you make a deliberate effort to be aware of what they know, what they need to know? What don’t you tell them? And why not? Is it really for their good, or for yours? A Christian mind like Paul’s would remind us that love is our standard. Here we see that love play out in how well we communicate with those under us, in whether our heart takes the time to think about them, about their needs. Lord, help us not to be those who keep their people “in the dark.”

Then pause and consider what specifically he doesn’t want them to be ignorant about. It’s basically the question of why Paul hasn’t ever been to their city. Obviously Paul has long been travelling all over the Roman Empire. Why hasn’t he ever been to Rome? I want to insert here something I believe I learned long ago and it applies here – it is invariably a maxim to live by: “If people don’t know, they will assume the worst.” This is one reason why it is so important to keep people informed. If not, they won’t just be ignorant, they’ll actually be assuming all sorts of horrible things that simply aren’t true. Why hasn’t Paul been to Rome? Apparently he just doesn’t think it’s important. Right? Maybe he doesn’t think we’re important! Maybe it’s because he’s afraid of the leaders. Maybe, maybe, maybe…” They don’t know, so they can easily assume the worst, and I find it all too common that is exactly what people will do. It’s what I tend to do.

It is another subject to ponder, but I would suggest this discussion would lead us to consider love from the opposite direction. I find it takes a deliberate effort on our part as Christians not to assume the worst of other people, to actually choose to believe the best about them and go on believing the best until they would prove otherwise. I know that calls for some wisdom and can be misapplied, but I would suggest it’s worth pondering.

But back to our passage, Paul doesn’t want these believers to be unaware that he has in fact many times purposed to go to Rome but actually found himself hindered. That statement blows open a door to all sorts of discussions! I’ll try to pick only a few.

Paul is an Apostle. Wherever he goes he is gifted to accomplish great things for God, to lead multitudes to Christ, to do great good. How can it be right for a man like that to be hindered at all???? Well, the first reason is that he only has one body. He specifically tells them later in the book,

“It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation. Rather, as it is written: ‘Those who were not told about Him will see, and those who have not heard will understand.’ This is why I have often been hindered from coming to you. But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to visit you, I plan to do so when I go to Spain” (15:20-23).

No matter how gifted Paul was, he could only be in one place at a time. Having made it his goal to go where others had not meant Rome simply had to wait. Obviously others had been working in Rome and obviously too they had done a great job. We’ve already seen in the opening verses that the faith of these Roman believers was spoken of throughout the world. In a sense, Rome simply hadn’t been a priority for Paul. For any of us who truly want to “do good” to others, we have to deal with the same problem. The reality is that we only have one body. We can only be in one place at a time. And to be in one place means we’re not in others. We each have to recognize the priorities which the Lord has given us and then simply always be working off the “top” of the list, so to speak.

Several years ago, the Lord showed me that, in the Bible, we all basically find addressed seven relationships which are our priorities:

1. God
2. Husband/Wife
3. Children
4. Parents
5.Workplace (bosses, clients, workmates)
6. Church (pastor, fellow believers)
7. Our “neighbors” whoever they may be.

It is notable that, in the Bible, these are not in any order. They simply all are our priorities. I would suggest it isn’t even correct to say, “The Lord comes first.” It is true I absolutely must cultivate that relationship, but if He tells me to love my wife, then part of my relationship with Him is to cultivate my relationship with her. It is not either/or. It is both/and. It is liberating to me to see life as a matter of living love in these seven relationships according to the guidance He’s given me in the Word. “Planning” becomes a matter that, at any given time, I need to be making sure I am treating each of these relationships as a priority. Which I might be specifically addressing at any given moment brings us back to our passage and this reality that I can only be in one place at a time.

Like Paul, our ability to do good to others becomes its own hindrance, since, while I’m “doing good” in one place, I cannot be in others. In a sense, the more “gifted” someone is, the more of a problem this becomes…and the more we risk resentment from those “others” who may feel slighted. Back to our passage again, Paul was determined not to let people feel that way, to communicate his reasons for his one body not being “there.”

In the Bible, we find other legitimate reasons why we might be “hindered,” even when we’re determined to be doing good. In I Thes. 2:18, we find Paul saying, “For we wanted to come to you – I, Paul, more than once – and yet Satan hindered us.” We have an adversary. Sometimes the obstacles we face are actually satanic. Even angels have to deal with this problem! In Daniel 10:12-14, we read:

“Then he continued, ‘Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. Now I have come to explain to you what will happen to your people in the future, for the vision concerns a time yet to come.’”

Then, of course, the hindrances we face may come from the Lord Himself. In Acts 16:7, Paul and his companions found themselves hindered and we are clearly told, “When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.”

Personally, I usually don’t know if the hindrances I face are satanic or from the Lord. Probably a wiser person could discern the difference. What I have to do is to entrust everything into the Lord’s hand, all the while allowing hindrances to remind me that I do have an enemy. For me it is very comforting to know, “The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps” (Prov. 16:9). The Bible specifically condemns people who think they can plan their lives and ignore the Lord: “Come now, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.’…Instead, you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.’ But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil’ (James 4:13-16).

Paul was a man who wanted to do good, but found himself hindered. Hopefully you and I also sincerely want to do good. We too will find  ourselves hindered. Sometimes it will be loving to communicate to people those hindrances, so they are assured of our love and of our sincere desire to do them good. At minimum, we all have to deal with the reality that we can only be in one place at a time. To do good in one place means we cannot be in another. On the other hand, we also have to realize there is a spiritual war raging around us. We can’t necessarily see it but it is always there. We just have to accept the fact that that battle may explain the hindrances we face. But above it all, we simply have to leave the days of our lives in the Lord’s hands and say, “Thy will be done.”

Hindrances. Paul had to live with them, and so do you and I. Lord help us not “to grow weary in well-doing.”

No comments: