Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I Thessalonians 5:23,24 – “Blessed Assurance”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

23May the God of peace Himself sanctify you [to be] complete, and may [the] whole of you – the spirit and the soul and the body – be kept blamelessly in the Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The One calling you [is] faithful, who will also accomplish it.

One last thought before I leave these two verses. I want to pause and think about v24, “The One calling you [is] faithful, who will also accomplish it.”

Faithful. The faithfulness of God. Great is Thy faithfulness.

It’s easy to read those words, to say them, to even sing them, yet not stop to ponder their enormity. I think perhaps early in my Christian life, I thought it really was all about my faithfulness. Somehow God was just there and I was over here trying to somehow become this faithful follower of Jesus. The big battle was whether I would or would not be faithful today, or even in knowing what that meant today. Of course I failed miserably.

But as I have studied the Bible and struggled through the issues of life, I have come more and more to see that it’s all about Him. The big issue in my life is not whether I am or have been or will be faithful. The big issue is that He is. Ah, Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.

One of the verses that helped me the most to finally turn the corner was Psalm 112:7, “A good man will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, confident in the Lord.” “Confident in the Lord.”

“Confident in the Lord.” “The One calling you [is] faithful, who will also accomplish it.”

Our good God is wisely, kindly, and omnipotently ruling this world in which we live. He was for all the thousands of years before I was born and He will continue long after I’m gone. I’m alive today not because anything is really “up to me,” but because He has a great eternal plan and at least for today has allowed me to be a part of it. He will succeed whether I do or not.

Truly knowing Him, being confident in Him, brings to my world peace. It brings quiet and confidence. It brings the completeness of knowing “All is well.” And in that peace, I can truly love and be kind and even … be faithful. As I go out to my work today, I don’t know what I’ll face. I don’t know what will go “wrong.” I don’t know what people will say, what they will expect, how they’ll treat me. I know already I’ll find it physically challenging – the older I get the less and less energy I have to deal with it all. Most of the time I really don’t even find myself smart enough. Most of the time my job calls for someone far more clever than me. So, given all of that, what am I to do? Go. How? Confident in the Lord. I just need to go, confident in Him. It’s true I don’t know. It’s true I’m barely able physically. It’s true I’m not clever enough. But He is. And He will help me. So I can. I can go in peace. I can love. I can be faithful. Because He is.

I might die. But “My times are in His hands.” I honestly can say I just hope I die confident in Him. Whatever that means, when it means it.

I am so thankful for Jesus, for this saving, redeeming God who not only rescues us from hell, but gives us peace.

I so wish the whole world could realize how wonderful He is, what it’s like to live in a world ruled by my kind, wise Father. To live in peace.

I’m so thankful that we can live all day every day in this blessed assurance.

“The One calling you [is] faithful, who will also accomplish it.”

No comments: