Tuesday, August 8, 2017

I Thessalonians 4:11,12 – “Better”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

… But we are urging you, brothers, to abound more and more, 11and to make it [your] ambition to be quiet, and to mind your own [business], and to work with your hands, just as we commanded you, 12that you might walk becomingly toward those outside, and [that] you might have need of nothing [or no one].

Without a doubt, this idea of quietness is the bombshell I’ve learned from this passage. As I look at the rest of vv11,12, I think everything else these two simple verses say is of monumental importance, but nothing more jumps out at me personally right now. I didn’t catch this helpful idea of quietness the first time I studied through this book, so probably if I live long enough to ever study through it again, something else will be particularly helpful. Even though nothing else jumps out at me personally, before I leave the passage, I’d like to record some thoughts that might be helpful to my grandchildren or anyone else who might stumble across these feeble scratchings.

“Mind your own business.” What a simple, almost cliché thought, yet, if people took it seriously, it would transform the world overnight, would it not? Somehow, early in my Christian life I learned to constantly ask myself, “Yes, but what are you doing, Don?” Everywhere one looks, at work, at home, at church, it is so easy to see everything everyone else needs to change. “Yes, but what are you doing, Don?” “Mind your own business.” The truth is every one of us has more than enough to do if we’d just mind our own business – be what we should be, do the things we should do, get done the things we should get done. It is a waste of our energy to spend any time at all stewing over what everyone else should be doing. The Bible often condemns people who are meddlers and gossips and tersely informs us, “So then, every one of us shall give an account of himself to God.”

“Work with your hands.” Some people think this is some kind of call to “manual labor.” I’d like to suggest otherwise. I would like to suggest that, no matter what you do, you use your hands. Even the wealthiest CEO makes phone calls, signs papers, etc., etc. I would even suggest it is almost always true that, if we’re working, our hands are probably doing something. People who are doing nothing with their hands probably are doing nothing. Nothing any good, any way. One could almost ask the question, what has the Lord given my hands to do? And then make sure I’m about doing it. I think about the verse in I Cor 7:24 where we’re told, “Each person, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation they were in when God called them.” The issue in that context is whether people are slaves or free, but I think it applies in general, that we are where we are, doing what we do, because that is what the Lord has given us. The point then is, when a person is saved, most likely they should just continue doing whatever they did before, only now of course do it for the Lord. The question for each of us is “What is that?” “What is it I do?” Once again, it will be one way or another something that engages my hands – and the Lord would tell us, “Get busy doing it.”

I very much like the verse in Col 3:23: “And whatever you do, do it with your whole heart, as for the Lord, and not for men.” “And whatever you do.” “Whatever you do.” One of the wonderful things about Biblical Christianity is that it ennobles every man’s occupation. The king on his throne and the garbage collector alike can read Col 3:23 and know that what they do is important to God. And if it is important to God, then it is important to do it well. It matters.

“Just as we commanded you.” In Paul’s short time at Thessalonica, he had instructed these young believers about the importance of their work. It’s too bad the subject doesn’t even get mentioned from the pulpit today. Which leads into the first thought in v12:

“That you might walk becomingly toward those outside.” The NIV translates it, “So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders.” There is only one thing the Bible specifically says “adorns” the Gospel, and that is our work. In Titus 2:9,10, it says: “Teach workers to be subject to their bosses in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.” The old KJV put it, “… that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.” Based on this Biblical admonition and my own personal observations, there is nothing that either commends or disgraces the Gospel like believers’ work. I would suggest it’s true that people may care nothing for Heaven or hell, may care nothing about morality or truth, but they will highly value a person who simply does good work.

It is an interesting observation that, even in the most debased cultures, still the principles of good work are Christian principles. Everything a worker should be is something any thinking Christian should be: hard-working, honest, dependable, obedient, considerate, etc., etc. With or without the Bible, everyone knows those are the things a good worker should be. When, then, a person calls himself a Christian and isn’t those things, it brings the Gospel into great disgrace. On the other hand, when a person is those things and others see it, it often gives them pause. I heard once how, during one of the Roman Christian persecutions, a commander was ordered to execute his soldiers who were believers. “But they are my best soldiers!” he objected. I heard once how a church in the old Soviet Union wanted to build a building but could not get a permit since they weren’t an “approved” church, so they went ahead and built anyway. A local magistrate was asked why he didn’t stop them and he replied, “They are the best workers in our community. If they want a building, I certainly won’t stop them.”

That is the effect God wants our work to have – that it should “adorn the Gospel” – that it should gently, quietly break down people’s opposition to Jesus’ message and make them willing to at least give it a hearing. That is the effect it would have, if only believers everywhere could just quietly go to their jobs and do good work.

“…and [that] you might have need of nothing [or no one].” This is an interesting twist. We’re so used to the Gospel being about helping people, we probably don’t think enough that Jesus actually puts a premium on each of us being people who don’t need help! I have found in life one of the difficult lessons to learn is the grace of receiving – of being willing to let people help me when I do need it. But I don’t know that I’ve ever thought much how it is actually God who wants me to live in such a way that I don’t need others’ help, that that should be my intent. It’s very American of course to be independent and not want others’ help, but that is not what we’re talking about. This is God stuff. In God’s world, it’s like “Okay, if you do need help, be humble enough to let others help you, but, in general, be a good worker, manage your own life, and be a person who doesn’t have to depend on others." I think if we let it be a God-thing, then we’ll have the humility to accept needed help while at the same time being people who are sincerely trying not to need it to begin with. That thought is probably worthy of a few hundred applications, but perhaps having said it is enough for today.

What an awesome two verses. No one but our God could pack that much genuinely helpful, practical guidance into two simple verses. I pray that somehow, having pondered them, they’ve infused something of God’s truth into my heart and made me better.

No comments: