Tuesday, August 30, 2016

I Thessalonians 2:10-12 – “Living”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

10You and God [are] our witnesses how to the believers we became devoutly and righteously and blamelessly, 11just as you know, as each one of you, as a father his own children, 12encouraging and comforting and charging you that you walk worthily of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.

This passage is so like the rest of the Bible – a few words on a page that, when slowly, patiently pondered, explode into a universe of truth to feed me for a lifetime. What simple words at first glance – the apostle Paul recounting his faithful ministry to these people. As usual (and sadly), for most commentators since the mid-19th century, that is about all they get out of it; but that is because “the well is deep, and we have nothing to draw with.” If we would really understand the Bible, we have to pause and study, to think and pray and ask the Lord to show us the significant truth being communicated to us. Jesus asked the blind man, “What do you want Me to do for you?” and the man replied, “Rabbi, I want to see!” So, today, we need the Lord to open our eyes. He calls each of us saying, “Call unto Me and I will answer thee and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not.”

First of all, I would note that these are not casual words from the apostle: “You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous, and blameless we were …” He really was. Paul really lived a life of integrity. Paul really did “live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” He really did “press for the mark of the prize of the high calling of God.” David said, “I will walk in my house with a blameless heart.” In my house – at home … away from the limelight … out of the view of people who might be impressed. What Paul and David are both saying is that they genuinely strove to live lives of integrity, they genuinely sought to live out their faith, to live out the truths they claimed to believe.

I point this out because it seems to me such resolve is a very rare thing today. I believe it is true (at least in American Christianity – which is the only one I know), that we are so infatuated with results and appearances our hearts are quite satisfied to maintain a very shallow and anemic faith – as long as all our friends at church congratulate us how spiritual we are. I remember as a young man how “pleased” the church people were to see me cut my hair shorter and start wearing a suit and tie to church. That showed how much I was “growing!”

God help us. Is that really "growing?" It may have pleased people, but it had nothing to do with what the Lord wanted for my life. It now makes me sad that I thought it did.

I remember the man who years ago lost his seminary position for not “playing by the rules.” When someone asked him if that bothered him, he replied, “No, not really, for I have known God and they haven’t.” “I have known God.” My faith was real. He obviously felt he lived in a world of people who talked about faith but never really lived it.

To this day, I sadly watch the same dynamic at work. People come to know the Lord and then get applauded because they volunteer for every ministry program at church. I’m sorry but a person can be stone dead lost and still “work” at ministries. What about your heart? Do you know God? Do you really want Him to search you and know you and see if there be any wicked way in you and lead you in the way everlasting?

Paul did.

Really.

It wasn’t enough for him to say the right things, volunteer for the right ministries, etc. so that everyone “at church” applauded. It wasn’t peoples’ applause he lived for. It was God’s.

And so his faith had to be real. It had to be first of all heart-business, then, in his life, he lived out that faith. That gave him integrity. Really.

And as he lived his own faith and taught others, what did he urge them to do? “…live lives worthy of God, who calls you into His kingdom and glory.” What is he doing? He’s calling us to do what he did – to actually live our faith – and that means to live lives of integrity – really. Paul could say the work he had done he did “devoutly, righteously, and blamelessly.” As many commentators point out, “devoutly” basically speaks of being right before God, “righteously” of doing right in the eyes of other people, while “blamelessly” is, in a sense, the sum of it all. Paul’s calling was to be a minister. Why should we Christians be any different just because we’re butchers and bakers and candlestick-makers? God calls us all to be people of integrity – to live our lives all day every day worthy of Him, of being called by His name, as people called into His kingdom and His glory.

I find it wonderfully liberating to know that every minute of every day of my life matters to God. He tells us “And whatever you do, do it with your whole heart, as to the Lord and not unto men.” He wants me to be a good worker, to be conscientious, to work hard at what I do, to try to meet deadlines. While I’m doing it all, He wants me to be kind to people, to be encouraging. He wants me to work honestly, to be fair with people. And when I’m home, it is no different. “And whatever you do …,” He said. That is what it means to live lives “worthy of God, who calls you into His kingdom and glory.”

I like what B.C. Caffin, commenting on this passage, said of us believers:

“Their walk in life must show the reality of their hope. Walk implies movement, change of place and scene. As they move hither and thither in the course of their daily lives, in their business, in their amusements, they must ever think of that high calling, and live according to their hopes. Their religion was not to be confined to the Sabbath, to the synagogue, to the hours spent on their knees in private prayer; they must carry it everywhere with them; it must guide, stimulate, comfort, encourage in all the varying circumstances of daily life. Their life must be worthy of their calling. They must show its influence; they must adorn the doctrine of God their Savior in all things.”

Paul really did live his faith.

And so should we.

No comments: