Friday, May 15, 2015

Psalm 111:5 – “Blessed Be the Name”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of this verse:

5He has given food to ones fearing Him;
   He remembers His covenant to the ages.

In this verse we are reminded that one of the “works” of the Lord is the simple fact that He takes care of us! He gives us food.

This is one of those places where it is good to “remember the works of the Lord.” I think at first glance, the verse doesn’t seem to say anything remarkable; but as I sit and ponder it, I instead find it explode with encouragement to me and praise to Him.

I know for myself, I easily take so much for granted. Every day the sun comes up and goes down. I eat my meals, go to work, pay the bills, mow the grass, and life goes on. But this verse reminds me to stop and consider that all of this is from the hand of God. It is easy to take it all for granted precisely because He is so faithful to provide it. As the Scriptures say, “It is God who gives us the power to gain wealth,” and “He makes His sun to shine on the evil and the good, and sends His rain on the just and the unjust.” The entire human race is able, like me, to basically just get up every day and their needs are supplied, never pausing to consider it is all straight from the hand of God. He can simply withhold His rain and an entire country turns into a dustbowl. Our health actually hangs by a very slender thread, yet we get up every day and charge into our lives, never pausing to realize it is Him who gives us our very breath.

“He has given food to ones fearing Him; He remembers His covenant to the ages.” Why is there food in my cabinets? I could easily say, “Because I went to work and made the money to buy it.” But who gave me the health to go to work? Who gave me the job to go to? The fact is I have food to eat because I have a faithful God. “He opens His hand and satisfies the desires of every living thing.”

Interesting it says specifically, “He has given food to ones fearing Him …” He very specifically and deliberately takes care of us who “fear Him” – which is the OT way of simply describing His people. But “He makes His sun to shine on the evil and the good.” Here is one of the ways He is amazing – that although the vast majority of the world rejects Him and ignores Him and spits in His face, He still feeds them too. The little dogs do indeed eat the crumbs that fall from the children’s table! He is so faithful to us His people that the whole world basically can take for granted all the gifts of sunshine, rain, health, and food to eat. His goodness is so great that when He gives it to us, there is so much of it, it overflows to the rest of the world. Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.

The difference, I guess, is that we His people should pause from time to time and remind ourselves it is all from His hand, that we should not “take it for granted,” that it should be cause for genuine heartfelt praise and thankfulness to our faithful Father.

I do have so much to be thankful for – wonderful parents who loved me, the most beautiful woman in the world for a wife, three children who never cease to make us proud and a fourth one in Heaven waiting for us, three grandchildren (and hopefully many more!), a great job, a beautiful house, cabinets full of food and a garden growing out back – so much to be thankful for, and all mine only because God is faithful, because “He remembers His covenant forever.”

And of course, above it all, He provided Jesus to be our Savior – as He promised. When the struggles of this life are over, I live in the certain hope I will spend all eternity with this amazing faithful, loving Father where there will be no more death, no more sorrow, no more tears.

“All praise to Him,
 Who reigns above in majesty supreme;
Who gave His Son for man to die,
 That He might man redeem.
Blessed be the Name!”

No comments: