Monday, March 30, 2015

James 4:11,12 – “Usurper”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

11Brothers, do not speak against one another. One speaking against a brother or judging that brother of his speaks against law and judges law; but if you judge law, you are not a doer of law but a judge. 12One is law-giver and judge, the One able to save and to destroy; but who are you, one judging the neighbor?

Judging. There is obviously a huge difference between being discerning versus judging. This “judging” is a bad thing, while discerning is a necessity. First I want to think about this distinction.

Back in Matthew 7, Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged” (vv1-5), then immediately says, “Do not throw your pearls to pigs” (v6) and “Watch out for false prophets … by their fruit you will recognize them” (vv.15,16). Obviously the “judging” Jesus is prohibiting is something different from discernment. We mustn’t “judge” but we need to discern who are the “pigs” and who are the false prophets.

Here is what I think is the difference: As we look around our world and see what we think is good or bad, there is a point where we move beyond simply observing and instead appoint ourselves the judge, jury, and executioner. Basically we usurp God’s office as “Law-giver and judge.”

… which is a really bad thing.

This is precisely why He says, “There is one Law-giver and Judge. Who are you to judge your neighbor?”

Who are you? Who am I?

In any kingdom, the king has the right to appoint for himself magistrates to perform the necessary functions of judging cases that arise between people. But he only appoints certain people. What if someone else just decides one day that they are a judge and hangs out a shingle? What will the king think of that? “How dare you?” he would ask and probably lop off their head. Most of us are just citizens of the kingdom. Our basic job is to simply keep the laws and leave judging to those appointed to do so. So it is, I believe, with God. There are particular situations where He actually calls people to be “judges,” that is to be discerning of other peoples’ behavior and “pronounce judgments” -- such as in the case of actual government (Rom 13:1, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities …”), parenting (Eph 6:4, “You fathers, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord …”), etc. But, just as is true of my place in this world, my place as a citizen of God’s kingdom is to be a law-keeper, not a judge. Basically I need to spend my mental energies making sure I’m doing what I’m supposed to and God simply didn’t appoint me to be going around evaluating other peoples’ lives.

The problem occurs precisely at this point, when we go from observing, to appointing ourselves to be judge, jury, and executioner – when we arrogantly usurp God’s rightful office.

What is this? Is it not just another instance of our evil pride? JFB says, “[Criticism of others] flows from the same spirit of exalting self at the expense of one’s neighbors as caused the ‘fighting’ condemned earlier in James 4:1.” Nicoll  calls this “the love of finding fault … Pride, the most subtle of sins, has very many forms, and one of them is the love of finding fault …” Ellicott pointed out, “To take the law into one’s own hands is to break it!” Constable noted, “Criticizing our equals is a common sport, but it is inappropriate for mere mortals. We are all responsible to God ultimately and must leave the judgment of His servants up to Him (Rom 14:1-3). We need to remember that we are on the same level with those we may wish to judge.”

And who are we like when we’re “judging” others? Who is called “the accuser of the brethren?”

Usurping God’s office? Being like Satan? Exalting self at the expense of others? “Brethren, these things ought not so to be.”

I noticed in church yesterday, as I was sitting waiting for the service to start, this is exactly what I was doing. I was looking around “judging” the other people, evaluating in my heart whether they pass muster or not. How evil! I’ve never realized before how much I do this. And it has never occurred to me before just how evil it is – usurping God’s place and imitating the devil!

God help me to be discerning as I live my life, but help me be very aware of when my heart moves from discerning to judging. May I keep the “judgment” focused on my own heart. That should keep me busy!


No comments: