Sunday, February 1, 2015

James 4:5,6 – “Giver”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

5Or do you suppose that the Scripture says emptily the spirit dwelling in us lusts toward envy? 6But He gives more grace, therefore it says, “God opposes proud ones but gives grace to humble ones.”

Verses 1 thru 5 are a very ugly catalog of who we are: fighting, warring, killing, coveting, discontent, adulteresses, enemies of God, and then having the audacity to think we’re “wise and understanding” (3:13), to consider ourselves “religious” (1:26). Verse 6 finally pins down the real problem: we’re proud.

Pride. The devil’s sin. The root of it all. “I deserve better,” says my heart and from there on it’s all downhill.

I want to take a closer look at all of this, but first I want to note the beginning of verse 6: “But He gives more grace.”

If I am willing to honestly see myself in my evil pride, if I’m willing to admit that my behavior exposes a childish, godless, selfish, evil black heart, then here’s God’s message to me: “But He gives more grace!”

“But He” is always a sure recipe for hope in the Bible, and this time is no exception!

Clear back into chapter 3, I’ve been having to face the fact that my mouth is set on fire by hell and I cannot tame it. I’ve had to face the fact that my “wisdom” is not from Heaven but demonic, of the devil, straight out of hell itself. I am, in fact, the catalog of sin we’ve read in the first 5 verses of chapter 4. The spirit dwelling in me is rotten.

Can I pause to say anyone who denies all of this only proves they’re still blind in their sin? It is the truth. But for those who will admit it, for those who will sit honestly under the hot white light of God’s Word, the result is not despair – because even as the Lord shows us our black hearts, He also whispers hope in our ears: “But He giveth more grace!”

Miracle of miracles! The One who finds me grasping and selfish and lusting after my wants is a Giver! The only One who deserves to get is a Giver! Into my black world steps One who should strike me dead, who should grab me by the collar and throw me into hell, who should wash His hands in disgust and squash me like a bug. But what does He do? “He gives more grace!” Yes, my heart is black. Yes, I am hopeless. But His grace is more. His grace is greater. Greater than my sin. Envious and lustful is what I am by nature, but grace is greater. His Spirit in me conquers the spirit in me!

Here is the cure for lust and pride, the cure for envy and our contentious fighting demanding spirit that always wants more: Grace. The grace that is more. True freedom is to be convinced that grace is the richest possession of all! God’s gift of grace and the love, joy, and peace it gives is a far better gift than anything this world can offer. “Not as the world giveth give I unto you,” (John 14:27).

Here is hope. The Healer of our souls is a mighty Physician! Satan’s power to deceive us and conquer us and damn us is nothing compared to Jesus’ power to save us!

We’re full of envy but God is full of grace!

It’s no mere coincidence that God “gives” two times in verse 6. He is the Giver. He is the One who ought to punish sin and kill us, yet Himself goes to a Cross and instead dies in our place!

Wonder of wonders. Love divine, all loves excelling.

Let me wrap this up by saying that way back at the very beginning, not long after He stepped into my life, He showed me John 17:3: “For this is eternal life, that they might know Thee, the only true God …” I realized then that all that mattered in life was to know God, to truly know Him, to know Him better and better. I’ve been down too many rabbit trails since then, each of which I deeply regret, but always, always, always I find myself back here again … knowing Him, finding again that knowing Him is the cure for everything. Knowing Him is what gives me hope. Knowing Him is what cures me. Knowing Him is what changes me. Me in my sin. Him the Giver.

Jesus. Healer. Giver. Lover.

He gives more grace!

No comments: