Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Ruth 4:9,10 – “Owning It”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

9And Boaz said to the elders and the all of the people, “Witnesses you [are] today that I have bought all which [belonged] to Elimelech and all which [belonged] to Chilion and Mahlon from the hand of Naomi, 10and also Ruth the Moabitess the wife of Mahlon I have bought for myself to [be my] wife to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance and not to be cut off the name of the dead from among his brothers and from the gate of his place. Witnesses you [are] today.”

As always, I am so impressed with Boaz. What a fine example of a man. He certainly doesn’t beat around the bush or mince words. He says exactly what needs to be said, says it clearly, and makes sure there are no loose ends.

But one thing that particularly warms my heart is how he clearly announces, “and also Ruth the Moabitess the wife of Mahlon I have bought for myself to [be my] wife…” As discussed in a previous post, it is possible the other kinsman didn’t want to marry Ruth precisely because she was a Moabitess. It was certainly true that “foreign” marriages were frowned upon and that Boaz could no doubt have had his pick of any of the available Jewish girls. And not only was Ruth a Moabite but a widow at that. The other kinsman got “off the hook” by simply saying “No,” and Boaz could have done the same. As I said earlier, I am not sure the Law actually required the kinsman-redeemer to take Ruth, precisely because she was a Moabitess. That may be why the other kinsman got off the hook so easily. And notice even how Boaz says it: “Witnesses you [are] today that I have bought all which [belonged] to Elimelech and all which [belonged] to Chilion and Mahlon from the hand of Naomi,…” “From the hand of Naomi.” I strongly suspect if Ruth had been a Jewish girl she would have been the acknowledged heir, not Naomi. If Ruth had been seen as a rightful heir, wouldn’t Boaz have at least said “from the hand of Naomi and Ruth?”

There’s a lot of cultural messiness in this whole affair, not the least of which is the fact that Ruth is a Moabite girl. But Boaz doesn’t sweep anything under the rug. If he’s going to marry Ruth, then he boldly and bravely puts it all up front: “and also Ruth the Moabitess the wife of Mahlon I have bought for myself to [be my] wife…” Yes, she is a Moabitess. Yes, she is a widow, the wife of Mahlon. And yes, I am taking her to be my wife. Any questions?

Just think how encouraging it must have been to Ruth to marry this man who very boldly and publically acknowledged exactly who she was and said, “And I want her to be my wife.” From then on, even if other people in Bethlehem ever looked at her askance or muttered “foreigner” under their breath, Ruth could always hold her head high and know in her heart, “Yes, but it doesn’t bother Boaz. He is happy to have me be his wife!” She was free to take shelter in his strength and his love.

Perhaps there are times and places in each of our lives where we need to boldly own our relationships with other people? There are those times where, for whatever reason, it may not be “popular” to admit someone is my friend or relative or whatever. But I think love would say, “Be like Boaz. Step up to the microphone and say, ‘This is my friend.’” Even if the other men are bashing on their wives, us Christian men ought not be the least afraid to make it very clear I love my wife, respect her, and appreciate her.

Strong people like Boaz give the rest of us the freedom to be who we are and not be ashamed. We should do the same for others. Jesus does it for us. He isn’t afraid to call us His own. “Go and do thou likewise.”

No comments: