Thursday, October 30, 2014

Ruth 4:3,4 – “Pondering”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

3And he said to the kinsman-redeemer, “Naomi, who has returned from the fields of Moab, has sold the portion of the field which [belonged] to our brother Elimelech. 4And I, I said, ‘I will uncover your ear to say, ‘Buy [it] before ones sitting and before the elders of my people.’ If you will redeem, redeem, and if he will not redeem, tell to me and I will know because none besides you to redeem and I after you.’” And he said, “I, I will redeem.”

Before I move on, I want to note something I’m pondering. I don’t know the answer, just pondering.

A huge part of what is driving this entire story is the matter of property inheritance and levirate marriage. The way God set things up was that He gave the land to the Israelites, then portioned it out to the twelve tribes, then to individual families, and then it became imperative that that land remain in the ownership of those families. He says in Lev 25:23,

“The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is Mine and you reside in My land as foreigners and strangers.”

“The land must not be sold permanently,…” I guess I could understand if He was saying they mustn’t sell it to someone besides an Israelite. God promised Abraham He would give the land to his descendants. That makes sense and it would make sense that they were not to sell any of that land to foreigners, that it was always to stay in the hands of Israelites. But that isn’t what He means. He’s talking about selling land between Israelites themselves.

For some reason, God makes a really big deal about this property ownership. In Lev 25, He goes on to say (vv25-28):

“If a fellow countryman of yours becomes so poor he has to sell part of his property, then his nearest kinsman is to come and buy back what his relative has sold. Or in case a man has no kinsman, but so recovers his means as to find sufficient for its redemption, then he shall calculate the years since its sale and refund the balance to the man to whom he sold it, and so return to his property. But if he has not found sufficient means to get it back for himself, then what he has sold shall remain in the hands of its purchaser until the year of Jubilee; but at the Jubilee it shall revert, that he may return to his property.”

Even the year of Jubilee is set up as a time when any land that has been sold reverts to its original ownership. And it isn’t just “reverts to Israelite ownership” or even “reverts to the tribe it was given to,” or even the family it was owned by. It is to the man.

Hmmmm. Land is just land. It’s just dirt. In the big scheme of things, “property” is just a particular patch of dirt. Granted it is important, especially in an agrarian society where land was your very life itself. One grew crops to live. They didn’t have grocery stores. They had to grow what they ate and that took land. So land was important. But why is it that big a deal what land? And why is it such a big deal that a particular patch of dirt remained in the proper succession of a specific family’s genealogy?

The whole issue of Zelophehad’s daughters centered around this decided understanding. When the question of their father’s inheritance first came up and the girls (who had no brother) asked about it, the Lord responded:

“…, you shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘If a man dies and has no son, then you shall transfer his inheritance to his daughter. If he has no daughter, then you shall give his inheritance to his brothers. If he has no brothers, then you shall give his inheritance to his father’s brothers. If his father has no brothers, then you shall give his inheritance to his nearest relative in his own family, and he shall possess it; and it shall be a statutory ordinance to the sons of Israel, just as the LORD commanded Moses” (Numb 27:8-11).

Later, the issue came up again when the leaders from the girls’ tribe (Manasseh) were worried that the girls would marry into another tribe. If they do, the leaders reasoned, then that land would be lost to our tribe and become part of another! The Lord responded:

“This is what the LORD has commanded concerning the daughters of Zelophehad, saying, Let them marry whom they wish; only they must marry within the family of the tribe of their father. Thus no inheritance of the sons of Israel shall be transferred from tribe to tribe, for the sons of Israel shall each hold to the inheritance of the tribe of his fathers. Every daughter who comes into possession of an inheritance of any tribe of the sons of Israel shall be wife to one of the family of the tribe of her father, so that the sons of Israel each may possess the inheritance of his fathers. Thus no inheritance shall be transferred from one tribe to another tribe, for the tribes of the sons of Israel shall each hold to his own inheritance” (Numb 36:6-9).

I’m still struggling to understand why, in the big scheme of things, this is so important. I can see why, within any generation, people might get bent out of shape about such things. In fact they do, even today, but mainly because everyone is worried they might not get their piece of the pie. It’s all about money. Today it is totally about money and wealth and power. What baffles me is why God cares so much. Once again, it’s really just dirt and it would seem like basically one patch of dirt ought to be about the same as any other.

But it gets even more intense than this. This business of property ownership is so important that God Himself set up the plan of levirate marriage. When a man died, if he had not yet sired an heir, his brother was supposed to marry the widow and then the inheritance would go to her child. That, in itself, had to be a very delicate business culturally. Wouldn’t that add an interesting element to a man’s funeral – with his brother standing there and over across the room is this young woman who yesterday was only his sister-in-law? All of a sudden, he’s actually obligated to marry her, have sex with her, and sire an heir for his brother. Wouldn’t that be interesting???

And then we see it so important to God Himself, that, if a man refused to do so, He says:

“But if the man does not desire to take his brother’s wife, then his brother’s wife shall go up to the gate to the elders and say, ‘My husband’s brother refuses to establish a name for his brother in Israel; he is not willing to perform the duty of a husband’s brother to me.’ Then the elders of his city shall summon him and speak to him. And if he persists and says, ‘I do not desire to take her,’ then his brother’s wife shall come to him in the sight of the elders, and pull his sandal off his foot and spit in his face; and she shall declare, ‘Thus it is done to the man who does not build up his brother’s house’” (Deut 25:7-9).

Hmmmm. I could understand if the big issue was just keeping the land under Israelite ownership. I could even understand if God wanted to keep the tribes intact and not allow land to be sold among them. But it goes far beyond that. Once land is owned by a particular man, it becomes a legal and cultural imperative that that land must be kept in the proper succession of that man’s heirs … forever. No matter how many centuries go by, no matter how many generations come and go, land was to stay in that man’s genealogy. And that is so important that God Himself would institute the practice of levirate marriage.

Why?

I don’t know.

I smell some really profound spiritual truth lurking behind the scenes. There is something about God and about man and about eternity that I do not understand, that I don’t see, and so I am unable to grasp why this land thing is so important to Him. Either that or there is some truth about Jesus that I’m missing. He is the great Kinsman-redeemer. Surely, His redemption of us and our world is the same fractal pattern somehow. The other thing that may prove eminently significant here is that the “land” we’re talking about is the Promised Land. In fact, none of it is “just dirt.” Perhaps “the land” symbolizes faith itself and how the Lord wants faith to be passed on from one generation to the next?

I don’t know.

When I do see it, I know it will blow me away. It will totally rock my world. I’ll understand some aspect of life and of reality and of God Himself which I don’t understand today. This is just another atom-bomb of truth He might drop into my soul.

It just isn’t dropping today.

I know it’s there. For some reason I’m apparently just not ready to grasp it.

Hmmmmm. Looks like time for another Habakkuk: “I will stand at my watch and I will look to see what He will say to me …”

“Call unto Me and I will answer thee,
 and show thee
 great and mighty things
 which thou knowest not” (Jer 33:3).

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

No comments: