Tuesday, August 12, 2014

James 3:13 – “Heeded Warnings”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of this verse:

13Who [is] wise and understanding among you? Let him display his works out of the good lifestyle in humility of wisdom.

The general principle stated here is probably patently obvious: If you think you’re wise, prove it by the life you live.

As we would think about this, I’m afraid we could all nod our heads and smile and think we’ve “got it.” On the other hand, I suspect the truth expressed should profoundly affect who we are. Let’s see if I can put on paper what I think I mean.

James started this whole discussion with his admonition that not many of us should presume to be teachers, then headed off on the problem of our tongues and the difficulty of controlling them. Now he says, “Do you think you’re wise? Prove it by your life.” I would suggest the two thoughts are very much related. Especially with “religion” what is typically the first thing we are inclined to do when we learn something new? Is it not to somehow “teach” others? As soon as we think we “know” something, we are quite sure we now possess something others lack and/or need, and so we need to “tell” them. Our “default” position is to “teach” when we think we’ve become in some way “wise and understanding.”

I would suggest what James is saying ought to be a bombshell in our hearts. “Really? You’ve learned something true and important? That’s wonderful. Now live it. Teach it? That can come later. First live it. First make sure it has really changed you.” Our default response to learning ought to be practice, not speaking and teaching. We need to somehow realize learning should not set our mouths in motion! It needs to set our lives in motion!

What I suspect James has confronted is perhaps a very subtle expression of our evil pride. You have wisdom or knowledge? Of course, you should “share” it. But what if way down deep what that “wisdom” has done is made us feel like we’re “better” than everyone else? What if way down deep the real truth is it has made us arrogant? If that is the case, when we “teach” it, how well will we really communicate God’s truth? Even if it really is “truth,” even if it really is “wisdom,” even if it really is God’s truth and truth that could be very helpful to others – what will happen if the real, way down deep reason we want to “teach” it is because we have the sin of pride hiding in our hearts? One way or another that fact, the fact of arrogance in our hearts, will certainly torpedo our determination to “help” others.

I think there is way too much emphasis in American Christianity to run out and “tell” everyone. James is saying that our most immediate focus ought to be living what we think we’ve learned. I would even suggest, based on James’ admonition, we should be reluctant to be “telling” when we really haven’t lived out the teaching ourselves. James says, “Don’t be quick to want to teach. Instead, display the beauty of the truth out of a good lifestyle in the humility that (really) comes from wisdom.”

Interesting he goes on in the next few verses to distinguish real godly wisdom from devilish. We’ll read that God’s wisdom makes people humble and virtuous, while Satan’s “wisdom” makes us angry and quarrelsome. If we are rushing ahead, not heeding warnings like James’, not fearful of our tongues set on fire by hell, and not even considering that our passion to “tell” might just be a very subtle form of evil pride, then should we be surprised if, in one way or another, it ends up leading into contention rather than blessing?

It makes me think back to my own youth. As part of American fundamentalism, I was immediately cast into “teaching” situations. At the time I found it all very exciting. God had blessed me and I wanted to bless others. That is all well and good. But was it? If we had all taken James’ admonitions to heart, if we really believed our tongues are set on fire by hell, if I had realized just how subtle and utterly fatal is the sin of pride, I wonder if it wouldn’t have been better to do what James says. I wonder what difference it would have made if someone had set me down and said, “OK, Don. It’s great that you’re excited. It’s great that you are learning amazing things from God’s Word. But, Don, you need to focus for now on actually integrating those truths into your own life. If you rush out to “tell” everyone else, you are in enormous danger of being motivated by pride and arrogance, not real love. The only cure is to humble yourself, live out God’s truth, and when He’s ready for you to “teach” others, He’ll call you to it. For now, humble yourself, keep your mouth shut and your ears open, and wait on the Lord to graduate you to greater responsibilities.” What difference would it have made?

Once again, I don’t know what should have transpired. But I am convinced no one took James 3 seriously. God forgive me. It was there all the time. Unfortunately arrogance blinds us. Pride is the one sin that hides itself in a sinner’s heart. Only the Lord can open our eyes, help us to see it for all its hideous ugliness, and repent of it.

God deliver us all. Make me a living epistle, known and read by everyone. And help me know how to be content with that when I should be.

No comments: