Sunday, June 15, 2014

Ruth 3:10-13 – “Living in the Present ... Again!”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

10And he said, “[May] you [be] one blessed by the LORD, my daughter. You have done well. Your kindness, the former from the latter, not to go after the young men, either poor or rich. 11And now, my daughter, do not be afraid. All which you are saying I will do to you because the all of the gate of my people [are] knowing that you [are] a virtuous woman. 12And now because [it is] truth because a redeeming one I [am] and also there is a redeeming one nearer from me. 13Remain tonight and it will be in the morning if he will redeem, good, he will redeem and if not he is pleased to redeem you and I will redeem you, [as] the LORD lives. Lie down until the morning.”

In my last post, I noted how Ruth has been constantly having to make decisions and choose to live in the present with no assurance (apart from faith) that things would turn out well for her. Even coming down to the grain pile and right down to the minute she says, “Spread the corner of your garment over me,” she does not know how it will turn out.

Boaz’s response is her dreams come true, “The LORD bless you, my daughter … all you are asking, I will do.”

But, once again, Ruth has to live in uncertainty. “There is another kinsman-redeemer closer than me.”

I almost want to reach out and hug Ruth and assure her, “Everything’s gonna be OK. Don’t worry, sweetheart! It’s going to be OK!” Goodness. After all she’s done, after all her faith and her willingness to step out and do the right thing – here she is, once again, hanging in space. “Another redeemer?” My own mind would race ahead and fear, maybe he’ll be some boor or some worthless drunk who beats his wives – and I do mean “wives.” Maybe he already has five wives and mistreats them all. And maybe they all hate each other. Oh, no! What if, what if, what if …

I want to spend some time listening to Boaz and learning from him, but right now, I just want to stop and consider Ruth again. I said in the last post, I don’t want any longer to live in the present, fearing the future. And yet I find Ruth’s position soooooo familiar. I pray, the Lord helps me and gives me strength and courage to do the right thing, and, in fact, things turn out well … except …! Some new wrinkle rises up! And I have to fight my fears again!

Apparently the Lord knows we need it. Apparently it is a good thing that we are always having to wait, always having to live in some element of uncertainty. My first thought is, “Noooo. Don’t do this to Ruth! Don’t make her spend another night in uncertainty. Why couldn’t it have just been a done deal? Why couldn’t Boaz just say, ‘You’re right. I am your kinsman-redeemer and I will redeem you.’ Why does there have to be ‘another?’” My natural response would be to spare Ruth this time of uncertainty and just give her the blessing. I think of my own daughters and I don’t think I could bear to make them wait like this.

Which only proves that the Lord is a better father than I am! He does what is best for us, not necessarily what is easiest and the most pleasant. He’s always looking beyond the present and thinking about not only where we are but what we are becoming. He’s more concerned to build us and make us better than He is necessarily to make us happy today. Again, apparently it is good for us to have to live in uncertainty. He knows that. He loves Ruth way more than I ever could love my daughters. And He allows what is best for her – another night of uncertainty!

Back to my life. This battle – not living in the present in fear of the future – is obviously not something we recognize, conquer, and move on to the next adventure. Apparently we need to accept that the battle itself is good for us. It is the battle of faith. Am I going to live trusting God that He is up to good in my life, or am I going to let my fearful imagination torment me with all the ugly “what if’s?”

Today is a new day. It will bring its own uncertainties. I seem to remember some wise fellow who once said, “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (Matt 6:33,34).

In other words, “Don’t live in the present in fear of the future.”

That’s a novel idea. I probably should try it.

Again.

Ruth was brave. She did what was right and the Lord always took care of her.

He will take care of me too.

No comments: