Thursday, November 14, 2013

James 1:26,27 – “Like Jesus - 2”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

26If someone seems to be religious, not bridling his tongue but deceiving his heart, the religion of this one [is] useless. 27Religion pure and uncontaminated before God and the Father is this: To visit orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

As I related in my previous post, these two little verses are absolute bombshells. I thought a lot about v26, where I learned if we don’t let grace change our mouths, our religion ends up useless, since our natural bent is to be accusers and liars, like the devil. Grace would remake us in the image of Him whose lips dripped grace and truth.

Then, in the first half of v27, James told us our “religion” is only real before God if it moves us to care about the people around us. The Pharisees were “very religious” yet they hated the man who healed the sick and gave sight to the blind. They not only did not love, but when someone crossed their agenda they plotted to kill him! And so in the end they crucified the very Messiah Himself. James would have us ask, “What about my “religion”? Does it move me to actually love others? Does it move me to watch for people’s needs and do what I can to help? Yes or no?

Then in the second half James adds this other quality to look for in my “religion” – do I keep myself “unspotted from the world?”

This verse is something I’ve always found “easy” on the one hand and discomforting on the other. I have come to realize both of those things were true because I completely misunderstood what it means to be “unspotted by the world.” We’ll ponder these same questions when James later challenges us that “friendship with the world is enmity with God.”

Like too many people, I immaturely thought of “the world” as being contemporary music and dress styles, consumption of alcohol as a beverage, dancing, “going to parties,” and the like. On the one hand, that made this standard “easy.” I could say, well, I don’t do those things, so therefore I’m “unspotted by the world.” I’m “safe.” I think that is a huge reason why people buy legalism. It makes their religion “easy.” It’s the old familiar, “I don’t smoke and I don’t chew and I don’t run with girls who do,” so that means I’m “separated.” “I’m keeping myself ‘unspotted from the world.’” “Obviously I’m a very spiritual person!”

But that is also where I always found it discomforting. Something down deep inside me knew there was something ominously shallow about all of this. Something deep down inside me told me I was “making up the rules.” I knew somehow that these standards I was setting up to define “worldly” were not coming from the Bible. I and the people who agreed with me were making them up. We told ourselves, these are “principles” and “applications” and salved our conscience when we couldn’t find a single rightly divided verse of Scripture that actually taught them. “The Bible is our only rule of faith and practice!" – unless it doesn’t happen to say what we want it to – then we’re more than happy to canonize our rules and congratulate ourselves for it.

At some point I started wondering what the Lord Himself thinks it means to be “worldly." Once I started looking, I found it means something much bigger and deeper than a few external rules that make it easy to “look spiritual.” I think, like the Pharisees, I had been “straining on gnats and swallowing camels.” I was “cleaning the outside of the cup” and “whitewashing tombs.”

Listen to what God has to say:

“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life – is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever” (I John 2:15-17).

“Do not love the world”. Notice what it says, “For all that is in the world – all their music and dancing and those clothes they wear …” Oh, whoops, I guess that isn’t what it says. It says, “For all that is in the world – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life …” Uh oh. God is going for something way deeper than some convenient external rules. The Pharisees were the ultimate “rule keepers” but Jesus called them a “wicked and adulterous generation,” a people who “love money,” and people who “love the place of honor at banquets” and “everything they do is done for men to see.” For all their “rule-keeping” they utterly failed at conquering the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. Their religion was not real. Jesus had one word to describe them: hypocrites.

The fact is, they “loved the world.” They were guilty of the very thing they thought their rules so gloriously accomplished. It was their boast that they were “separated” from the world, and “kept themselves pure.” They would have quickly claimed to be the very people who “kept themselves unspotted by the world.”

But that is only true if you let them define for themselves what it means. The second we go back to the Bible to find out what God says it means, we find the very reason they failed. Their “rules” kept them satisfied they’d already “arrived.” They never looked any deeper to find out God has something entirely different to say. Their religion was not, as they deceived themselves into believing, “pure and undefiled before God and the Father.”

Once again, that was them and we are us. The question is “How shall we then live?” Right off the bat, whatever it all means, when the smoke clears and the dust settles, I want to be like Jesus, not them. I want to be like Jesus, not like whatever church culture today tells me I should be like (which is usually just a modern version of the Pharisees).

What I mean is, I would suggest again we need to look no further than Jesus Himself. The reason the Pharisees hated Him was because He didn’t “keep” their rules. He wasn’t a very good “rule-keeper.” “He consorts with tax collectors and prostitutes!” “He goes to wedding feasts where there is wine – and even miraculously provides more for them when it runs out!” “Scandalous!”

The fact is, He’s too busy doing one thing they weren’t – loving people. If we’re going to love people, then we have to “visit” them, we have to be with them, we have to live in their world. We cannot, like the Pharisees, isolate ourselves from them. But I think that is where the second half of verse 27 comes in.

While we’re there, while we’re in their world, love would remind us the very reason why their hearts are broken, the reason why their lives in the long run don’t work, why their marriages crumble and relationships never “work,” why they always seem to end up lonely and disappointed. It is because what drives them is “the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.” They love “the world, and the lust of it.” “The love of the Father is not in them.” The key here is that, while we love them, we can’t love what they love. Grace has conquered my heart. I want to “do the will of my Father.”

What makes this so dangerous, of course, is that the old me, though dead, is still quite alive. I see what they see. My flesh wants it just as much as they do. I’m just as capable of giving in to sexual sin, to drinking in excess, to greed, to coarse talk. Like Jude says, “Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear – hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh” (vv. 22,23). As Jesus said, we’ve got to be “in the world, but not of it.”

I guess you could say, while I’m sincerely trying to love people, while I’m with them, I must guard my heart that I am not allured by the lust of my flesh or the lust of my eyes or my love of applause. While I love them, I must still love my Father.

Can I draw this to a conclusion by asking, isn’t that what made Jesus different? He really did love people, but He never stopped loving His Father. Even while He was with us, surrounded by our temptations, He remained free because He loved something bigger than this world. He could live grace and still walk in truth.

I suppose this has been too long a post, but I deeply regret how long it took me to learn this. It is not a “fine” line. It is the difference between, on the one hand, shipwrecking our faith on a shallow legalistic Pharisaical religion that is worthless and patently NOT “pure and undefiled before God and our Father;” or, on the other hand, genuinely being like Jesus, able to live in this world, to be very much a part of it, to actively, openly love the people here, but to keep our own hearts above its lusts and to live in the freedom of loving our Father and sincerely striving to “do His will.”

God help us. Make us like Jesus.


No comments: