Wednesday, July 24, 2013

James 1:1 – “Sonshine Through the Clouds”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

1James, a servant of God and of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which [are] in the Diaspora, greetings.

Well, well. Here we are. I am embarking on a study of the book of James after just finishing a study of the book of Galatians. These two books have been thought by many to teach two different gospels, Galatians a gospel of free grace and James a gospel of faith + works. Martin Luther even considered the book of James “a gospel of straw” and denied its canonicity. I believe the two books simply approach grace, faith, and works from different perspectives. I am quite sure one balances the other. That is in part why I selected this particular book for my next study. If I, in any way, have embraced some imbalance from my study of Galatians, hopefully the Lord will correct me through James.

Another reason why I have desired to study this book is because I have actually taught through it a number of times, though never having studied it myself. I generally have tried to make it a rule that I’ll not teach Bible until I myself have invested the time to study it (and live it for a while). There is great danger in simply repeating what others say the Bible means. I guess I felt that James is so straight forward that I could teach it without that investment. However, again, that is a delicate and dangerous business. So … I want to invest the time now and at least correct any misconceptions I may have embraced through my (arrogantly) having “rushed in where angels fear to tread.”

Finally, I want to study the book because I have in my library two commentaries, one by Robert Johnstone (1871) and another by Thomas Manton (1693). They, like my old friend John Eadie, are men who study the text carefully, think deeply about its meaning and application, then emerge as men of warm faith. I long to “walk with these wise men” and learn from their wisdom myself. A stroll with them through the book of James is a chance to do just that.

Interestingly, I didn’t seriously expect to gain much from studying verse 1, what is in a sense just a simple greeting. But my old friends pointed out some things I think worth noting. Three things at least are important:

First, we see in the greeting the severity of God’s judgment. To write to the Jewish Christians, he has to write to a people dispersed across the civilized world. One might pause and remember how the Lord called the Jewish people out of Egypt and miraculously delivered them into a land flowing with milk and honey. He drove out the peoples who lived there and gave to Abraham’s descendants a veritable Garden of Eden. He spared no detail and we saw under David and Solomon how a people could in fact be blessed almost beyond human imagination. He did all those good things for them, but He warned them, if they took it all for granted and embarked on a culture of godless self-destruction, He would take it all from them. And He did. Hmmmm. His name is El Shaddai – the God who does exceedingly abundantly above anything we could ask or think, but that is a two-edged sword. Just as He would bless us beyond our wildest dreams, so He may have to abandon us to our most hellish nightmares. The scattered Jewish people stand as a monument to both the goodness and the severity of God. He’s no one to trifle with.

Secondly, the Diaspora reminds us of the absolute immutability and infallibility of God’s Word. Someone pointed out that, based on Deuteronomy 28, you could have written the entire history of the Jewish people from Sinai to the present. All history has done is filled in the exact names and places and dates. When they followed Him, He blessed them exactly as He said He would and when they turned away, they suffered the exact judgments He said they would. Jesus came and said, “I am the way, the truth …” He is truth. All He says is true. His Word is absolute truth. The history of the Jewish people is also a monument to the truth of God’s Word. You and I can read James 1:1 and be reminded to hang our souls on the “very great and precious promises.” We will find Him to be absolutely true just as the Jewish people have.

Finally, we see the wonder of grace. Though the Diaspora is itself a judgment of God, yet He raised up a James to write them a letter, call them “brothers,” and hail them with “Greetings!” Ah, the wonder of grace. Our God reaches down to find us even in the midst of the consequences of our sins! Sometimes hardships (even self-inflicted) may seem like a cloud blocking out the sunshine of His face, yet He hasn’t changed. Behind the cloud the sun still shines as bright as ever. Regardless of our circumstances, regardless of how dark our days may seem to be, regardless even if we are quite sure we got here through our own folly, the God of grace yet waits to meet us, to be our God, to give us a love and joy and peace that, like His beautiful face, are ours whether we see the sun shine or not. James 1:1 would teach us that even in judgment, our God still would send blessing to those who love Him.

The sun is always shining, when you fly above the clouds,
Like the way my life is beautiful, whenever you’re around;
You soothe my soul like summer rain and make the world seem right;
You lift me up above the clouds and drive away the night.

What amazingly monumental truths – all in a single verse that I didn’t think would have much to say! Yep. His name is El Shaddai!

Looks like we’re on our way. Again.

No comments: