Saturday, March 30, 2013

Exodus 33:12-23/vv.12-14 – “The God Who is Real”


As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:


12And Moses said to the LORD, “Look, You [are] saying to me, ‘Bring up this people,’ and You have not declared whom You will send with me, and You have said, ‘I know you in name and also you have found grace in My eyes.’ 13And now, if (na) I have found grace in Your eyes, cause me (na) to know Your ways, and I will know You, so that I will find grace in Your eyes; and see (impv.) that this nation is Your people. 14And He said, “My faces will walk [with you] and I will give you (sing.) rest.”

I am still working my way back to finishing my study of Galatians but want to work with the OT Hebrew a while longer before heading back into NT Greek. Exodus 33 is a passage that caught my eye many years ago and I have often read it again with pleasure, always hoping someday to get the time to actually study it. Facing the various uncertainties of the future, my mind has often quoted the (paraphrased) words, “Lord, if Your presence goes not with us, send us not up!”

So here I am! I feel like the proverbial kid in the candy shop! This is another passage I alost feel like I should take off my shoes just to gaze at these words. What a blessing. Well, let’s wade in and see what “wondrous things from Thy Word” we’ll find!

First off, as I have been studying, I realize that I have never really appreciated the context of this passage. I have loved to read Moses’ words, to see him conversing so directly with the Lord, and then of course reading the “cleft of the rock” passage; but I never noticed context. This whole interchange is immediately following Israel’s great apostacy with the golden calf. This is a time of intense emotion in Moses’ life. His whole world has been about leading these people to the Promised Land. He was on the mountain, receiving from God the Ten Commandments, no doubt filled with hope and excitement for the days ahead. Then suddenly it all falls to pieces. And to make it even worse, it is Aaron who actually orchestrated the failure -- his own brother, the man who has been his bosom companion through it all. Then God announces that He will no longer go with these people, yet still tells Moses to lead them.

I like how Adam Clarke sums it up:

He was in great perplexity and doubt; he was afraid that God was about to abandon this people; and he well knew that if he did so, their destruction must be the consequence. He had received general directions to decamp, and lead the people towards the promised land; but this was accompanied with a threat that Jehovah would not go with them. The prospect that was before him was exceedingly gloomy and discouraging; and it was rendered the more so because God predicted their persevering stiffneckedness, and gave this as one reason why he would not go up among them, for their provocations would be so great and so frequent that his justice would be so provoked as to break through in a moment and consume them.

Here is Moses, surrounded by failure, and threatened with the fear of God’s abandonment. Our worlds can often feel this way, whether in cataclysmic circumstances (like this) or in the little catastrophes of our everyday existence. In one way or another, our hopes get suddenly demolished and suddenly our future becomes uncertain. We don’t know the outcome, but we easily fear the possibilities. We don’t know that the Lord is going to help us (or so we feel). What should we do?

We should do exactly what Moses did and take it all to the Lord. The rest of this passage teaches us profound truths about the Lord, about our relationship with Him, and about prayer in the midst of disappointment and uncertainty.

First off, I find it amazing how Moses dialogues with God. The Lord has expressly stated His intentions in verses 2 and 3, “I will send an angel before you … but I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way.” Pause and realize that Moses’ entire prayer here is actually contradicting what the Lord has clearly expressed as His intent! Moses is actually objecting to the plans of the Sovereign of the Universe(!) – and doing it right to His face! I’m reminded of Abigail when she met David on his way to destroy Nabal and actually persuaded him against it.

I like what a man named John Schultz wrote:


God is so personal and so real. He’s so approachable. Who would ever dream it was okay (even good!) for a mere human to approach the God of the universe and object to His plans?!! And yet, obviously this is the very depth of relationship into which He invites us. I love that Schultz noted that the key is “understanding the love of God.” The love of God. We could talk in this situation about the holiness of God, the majesty of God, His justice, etc., but love is a relationship word. And in the midst of deep disappointment and uncertainty, it certainly is the love of God, that personal, embracing relationship, we need.

Moses clearly understood this. And so, in the midst of his own deep disappointment and uncertainly, he stepped into the warmth and security and hope of this love relationship between himself and the Lord, and there entreats the Lord to alter His plans.

J.I. Packer once referred to “The people who know their God.” Moses was one of them. I want to be another. Like Paul said, “I want to know Him.” I have studied the Bible these last 30-some years, longing to know this God who saved me, and He has certainly never disappointed me. The more I learn of Him, the more He amazes me. There really is no end to understanding what is the height and depth and breadth and length of the love of Christ. Who has known the mind of the Lord? His ways are past finding out! Yet, to know Him at all is to want to know Him better.

There is much more to say, I think, even about verses 12-14, but I think I’ll save those thoughts for another post. In the meantime, may I enter even more fully into this love relationship between me and my God. May I enjoy more and more just how deeply personal this relationship is!

No comments: