Saturday, February 16, 2013

Psalm 116: 7 – “Haven of Rest”



As always, here’s my fairly literal translation of this verse:

 7Return, my soul, to your rest, because the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.

In my last post, I looked at this verse and the wonder that our God is not a slave-driver, that He actually calls us to the freedom of rest. “Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.”

It is all seriously a wonder of faith, amazing grace.

I am reminded of a very old, but seemingly forgotten hymn, “Haven of Rest.” I particularly know it because my father once informed me it was my great-grandmother’s (his paternal grandmother, Hattie Bixby’s) favorite hymn. I don't know when I learned that. After all these years, all I know now is that I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know it. The song beautifully expresses the thought of Psalm 116:7:

Haven of Rest

1. My soul in sad exile was out on life's sea,
So burdened with sin, and distressed,
Till I heard a sweet voice saying,
 "Make me your choice!"
And I entered the Haven of Rest.
 
Chorus:
I've anchored my soul in the Haven of Rest,
I'll sail the wide seas no more;
The tempest may sweep o'er the wild, stormy deep,
In Jesus I'm safe ever more.
 
2. I yielded myself to His tender embrace,
And faith taking hold of the Word,
My fetters fell off, and I anchored my soul
The "Haven of Rest" is my Lord.
 
3. The song of my soul, since the Lord made me whole,
Has been the old story so blest
Of Jesus, who'll save whosoever will have
A home in the Haven of Rest!
 
4. O come to the Savior He patiently waits
To save by His power divine;
Come, anchor your soul in the Haven of Rest,
And say, "My Beloved is mine."
 

No comments: