Thursday, December 20, 2012

Galatians 5:22,23 – Blessed



Once again, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith[fullness], 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

The first three “fruits” are interesting in that back in John 14-16 they are presented as special endowments or gifts from Jesus Himself. Looking back at that passage, note these statements:

 Love: “This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved
 you” (John 15:12).

Joy: “These things have I spoken to you, that My joy might remain in you and
that your joy might be full (John 15:11).

Peace: Peace I leave with you; My peace I give unto you ...” (John 14:27).

Notice again:   Love … as I have loved you.
                        Joy … My joy …
                        Peace … My peace …

Love, joy, and peace. Here again, the wonder of this truth is almost inexpressible. Arguably, these are the three things most desired by the human soul; yet is it not the universal experience of the human race that we find them almost hopelessly elusive? Our hearts long for love and joy and peace. We constantly maneuver and scheme and manipulate trying to get them. Religiously speaking, we could embrace all the “rules” in the universe and they won’t buy us love, joy, and peace. But look at this – for those who would bow their hearts to Jesus and embrace His indwelling Spirit, we gain a “love as I have loved you,” “My joy [to] remain in you,” and “My peace I give you.” Here is a fulfillment of Psalm 37:4, “Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” We read that verse and imagine people and possessions, but “losing” those things in Christ, we find instead love and joy and peace, only to realize those were the real desires of our heart from the beginning! “Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!”  “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him freely give us all things?” (Romans 8:31,32).

Think about it: Believers are especially blessed people because our Lord teaches us that “the greatest of these is love.” In a sense we all know it. Even secular writers come to the realization that, in the end, all that really matters is the relationships you build. Yet, when the philosophers of old tried to compile their own “fruit of the Spirit” sort of list, theirs was “Temperance, Prudence, Fortitude, and Justice.” Interesting they didn’t include love; but our God puts it at the top of His list. The two great commands are to love. I Cor 13:4-7 even enumerates the qualities of this Biblical love. The word itself “agape” is worthy of an extensive word study (which many have done. Vine’s does an excellent job); but, again, I’m just so thankful that our God tells us up front to value love above all else.

Then we are blessed with this “joy inexpressible.” Everyone wants to be “happy.” Every parent wants their children to be “happy.” The problem with happiness, of course, is that it is first of all elusive then so terrifyingly fragile. Happiness seems like it is always something just out of our grasp; not far away, but not quite in hand either. Then when we do experience it, when we have one of those days surrounded by loved ones or friends, we are all too aware that it is sadly temporary. But believers get not only the “happiness” their hearts desire, but something much deeper, much better, and something real, and permanent, and immovable – a joy unspeakable, a joy straight from the Savior’s heart. “My joy,” He calls it. Holy Spirit joy, a joy arising from knowing God, of experiencing grace and Christ actually in our hearts – that is a joy you simply cannot explain. It is inexpressible. It has to be experienced. And it is a fruit of the Spirit for those who are Christ’s. Realizing how little I knew of it, and realizing it is a fruit of the Spirit, I began some time ago actually praying for it, “Lord, give me Holy Spirit joy in my heart.” I was amazed at how He answered that prayer. It is real and it is inexpressible. I find still that I lose my sense of it easily, but I always know where to find it again. What a blessing!

And peace. “My peace I give unto you.” This is the “peace that passeth understanding” (Phil 4:7). Like His “joy inexpressible,” His peace “passeth understanding.” It simply isn’t something you can “explain.” You just have to know it. Again, it is a special blessing of believers that we get to live out our lives in this Valley of Bacah carrying around with us this soul-calming assurance that our God is in complete control. As George Washington died saying, “All is well.” “All things work together for good.” “He will not give me more than I can bear.” “I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.” “Let not your hearts be troubled; I have overcome the world.” “Fear not, neither be afraid, for I, the Lord thy God, will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, ‘Fear not; I am with thee.’ … The Lord thy God, He it is that doth go with thee. He will not fail thee nor forsake thee.”

Love, joy and peace.

Blessed.

No comments: