Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Galatians 5:7-12 – The Spirit and Real Freedom


As usual, here’s my fairly literal translation of these verses:

7You were running well. Who cut in [on] you to not be obeying the truth? 8This persuasion [is] not out of the One calling you. 9‘A little leaven leavens the whole lump’. 10I am persuaded concerning you in the Lord that you will think nothing differently but the one troubling you, whoever he is, will bear the judgment. 11But, brethren, if I am yet preaching circumcision, why am I yet being persecuted? Consequently the scandal of the Cross is negated. 12O that the ones opposing you would castrate themselves!

In my last post, I recorded some thoughts and matters concerning verse 7. Verse 8 has also been interesting to me. This persuasion [is] not out of the one calling you”, or, as in the KJV, “This persuasion cometh not of Him that calleth you.” (Pardon the KJV but that is what I was raised on, so oftentimes it is what sticks in my head).

“This persuasion cometh not of Him that calleth you.” Interesting. These last few weeks, I have been enjoying trying to learn to distinguish between my own rotten spirit and the Holy Spirit indwelling me. “This persuasion …” – where is it coming from? Many times lately those words have come to my mind as I’m dealing with people and situations. I guess, theologically speaking, for years I have recognized that, as a NT believer, I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit. But this Galatians study has really opened my eyes to how immediately and personally He is present and available to help me live out God’s heart, to actually be aware second by second of my “spirit” and to try to consciously and deliberately make sure it is coming “from Him who called me.”

(I need to insert some explanation here: I am convinced from my Bible study that I am a spirit living in a body. God formed Adam from the dust of the ground (his body) then breathed into him the breath of life (his spirit). When we die, our spirit goes to be with the Lord while our body molders in the grave. When He returns (with us as spirit beings), He will then raise our bodies and we will once again be complete human beings, a spirit living in a body, only now an eternal combination that will never die. I do not subscribe to the body, soul, spirit idea. That is only confusing and has no defensible Biblical support. It also disagrees with my self-awareness. I am very aware that “I” am inside here, that there is a “me” – my spirit – which can exist separately from this body I currently live in. It is this “spirit” inside me that is always thinking, noticing, deliberating, deciding, wanting, and just generally talking to itself (me). Throughout my discussion of “spirit,” this is what I am referring to. Also, I am convinced from my Bible study that the term “the flesh” as used in the NT is actually referring to my Adamic spirit/body combination. It is the natural “me” as I was born.  Unfortunately, since the body is descended of Adam it bears his sinfulness and hence the spirit that accompanies it, though created in the image of God, is essentially an evil spirit. That is some background theology that bears on the rest of what I want to say).

Just to recap what I think I’ve learned from Galatians, there are literally now two spirits inside of me. There is my Adamic spirit, which comes with my humanness, which I was born with, that part of me the Bible calls my “flesh.” On the one hand it was made in the image of God, therefore it is capable of doing much good. Because of that, it even has a sense of good and wants to be good. Unfortunately, its modus operandi is totally driven by selfish desires. Even when it does “good” it is one way or another scheming to “get” something. If it turns out it has to do wrong to get that something, well, “you just gotta do what you gotta do”. It is capable of good but totally unreliable and incorrigibly selfish. I think in the past I failed to recognize it because of that element of the image of God which it still possesses. I think I thought of my flesh as totally bad and always the “evil” voice in my heart. I realize now it may even be leading me to do good things. Unfortunately, its motives are less than noble. Its ugly face gets exposed when that “good” thing doesn’t get me what I wanted and suddenly I become an angry, resentful, hateful person who can’t seem to get on top of my emotions.

Honestly, I would say most of what I have done even as a Christian has been done in this spirit. Oh, I have done a lot of “good” things – in a sense my faith gave me a whole new horizon of good things I “wanted” in my life ... now I even had Bible verses to tell me I was “right” to want those things and “right” to pursue them. But, you see, by wanting “good” things, my flesh was tricking me. It was hiding its face and assuring me that all was well. In fact, that spirit within me is so powerful, so deceptive that, I am absolutely powerless to overcome it. Even with faith it conquers me. I am an utterly hopeless case of obligate selfishness.

But herein is exactly the freedom for which Christ has set me free. He did the one (and only) thing that could possibly save me from this powerful, deceptive spirit which is me. He Himself took up residence in me. The very Holy Spirit, the third person of the divine Trinity, the Spirit of Jesus, very God Himself, moved into “me.” Now there is another voice that calls me, another spirit within me that is seeing what I see, hearing what I hear, knowing what I know. It too wants to do good, wants me to be good, but because it is the Spirit of Christ, its motives are truly good. It is literally the Holy Spirit.

This is so completely awesome and liberating, I don’t know if I can even put it in words, but I will try. Through this study in Galatians, I feel I am now very aware of these two spirits inside me. Now I feel I am beginning to recognize my evil spirit, even when it is wanting “good.” I recognize the feeling of how I am wanting something, yet deep down inside knowing something is “wrong.” Where is this “persuasion” coming from? There is something insidiously evil present and I somehow even faintly know it. Again, for years I was deceived by the fact that supposedly what I wanted was “good.”  Why then, I have wondered, deep down underneath it all did I still have a “dirty” feeling? Why, even while I was doing “good” was I so easily irritated and angered and fed up? Now I know. I was literally doing it “in the flesh” – the spirit inside me that was actually moving me was my own rotten spirit, masquerading as a “minister of righteousness.”

But then there is God. He is so patient with me. He loves me with His undying love. He never stops doing everything in my best interest. He cherishes me. I am the constant and endlessly amazed recipient of His gracious kindness. He is so good. Everything He is and does is right and best and loving. I do want so much to be like Him, to see the world through His eyes, to love people the way He loves them. I used to feel that “spirit” was something “out there,” something I must somehow reach out to, to somehow attain. No. It is NOT outside me. It is INSIDE me. He is present with me, IN me. That very spirit, that spirit of undying love and sincere goodness lives INSIDE me. That very Spirit is itself a voice that is calling me.

And that is the very choice of freedom I now have: which spirit, which voice am I allowing to rule me? A spirit of love and kindness and sincerity and patience, the Spirit of Jesus, is my spirit, or should I say can be. But I must let it be my spirit. I must be aware “whence cometh this persuasion?” Am I at this very second being my old rotten self or am I allowing the Holy Spirit in me to define who I am? Am I “walking in the flesh” or “in the Spirit?” That is my choice. It is my freedom. I not only “don’t have to be who I was,” there is a sense in which I am not “who I was,” or in another way of saying it, don’t have to be. There is an infinitely powerful Spirit present to “make things happen!”

Think about it: It is cosmically encouraging to know that the Holy Spirit in me is the third Person of the Trinity. What I mean is, think of the power that is available there – the very power of God Himself. My rotten spirit seems so powerful. As I said above and it has been my sad realization all these years of “trying” to be a Christian – my rotten spirit is so powerful it conquers me. But it is not “me” that has to conquer it. God already has. The Spirit of Jesus in me already has conquered it. In fact, though it puffs and blows and appears so very powerful to me, yet it surely can only cringe before the infinite power of the Spirit of God. While it may seem “hard” to let His Spirit control me, yet I must believe that if I only will yield and unleash His power, I will find that in any given moment or situation I have in fact (He has) conquered my own evil self.

Hmmmm. I still have a lot to learn here. My understanding is no doubt very elementary and probably flawed somewhere, but “Strong meat belongs to those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern good and evil.” “By reason of use.” One truly learns to live Scripture as one tries to live Scripture. I’m going to try to allow the question to stay constantly in my mind, “From whence cometh this persuasion?” Then I am so looking forward to studying on through this book. The next section of verses directly address this whole subject of “walking in the Spirit” and not in “the flesh.” Surely the Lord will show me more that I need to know. And when I know the truth, the truth shall set me free!

This is so much fun! What will Heaven be like??

No comments: