Sunday, May 13, 2012

Psalm 43:1,2 – Wrestling in the Darkness


As usual, here is my fairly literal translation of these verses:

1Judge me, O God. Plead my cause against an unloving nation. Against a man of deceit and injustice deliver me, 2because You [are] the God of my fortress.

 Why do You reject me? Why do I walk to and fro mourning in oppression of a hostile one?

Continuing from the last post, Psalm 43 was written in the context of some kind of injustice. In some way, the psalmist feels he is being treated unfairly or wrongly. It’s probably safe to say there’s never a time in our lives when we don’t feel we’re being treated unfairly or wrongly in some way or another. But then there are those times where the wrong is particularly painful, when it seems to be the main course in our meal of life. What are we to do? As in the last post, I am thankful the Lord included this passage of Scripture and others like it in the Bible. We have here recorded the prayer of a godly person as they face exactly what we do sooner or later. Hopefully as we study a passage like this, the Lord will help us be better equipped and able to respond to injustice in a mature and godly way.

Notice in verse 1, the focus is on the offender, the man of “deceit and injustice.” The psalmist asks the Lord to plead his cause against such a person. As we progress into verse 2, he gives the grounds of this request: “… because You are the God of my fortress.” In this world we may or may not have any human recourse to address the wrongs we suffer. Sometimes we do but I would contend that usually we do not. As I said before, in my experience it has generally done little good to try to defend oneself. Accusers, slanderers, and those who hurt others generally have little concern for truth. They have some other axe to grind or some personal gain they’re grasping for. Our “case” or our “truth” simply gets in the way of their evil. Again, there may be steps a person should take when under injustice. But even if there are, a believer soon realizes he is pretty much helpless in a world of trouble.

As in this Psalm, such realizations drive us to the Lord. Yes, it is true. He is the God of my fortress. Ultimately He and He alone can truly defend me and deliver me. Like Jesus, we must “entrust” ourselves “to Him who judges justly.” He is our strength and our strong tower. What that means to me is that I don’t have to let myself wallow in anger or self-pity. I can go on loving, being kind, even being joyful whether the immediate injustice is resolved or not. I am free to go on loving God, loving people, and honestly loving life, because I know that God is my fortress, He is in this for my good, and that the very best “deliverance” is when I let Him change me through it all, when I allow Him to make me better because of it..

As in this Psalm, however, before I get there, I may have to work through some more emotional turmoil. Notice, while the psalmist started his prayer feeling mistreated by another person, in verse 2 he turns the hurt toward God Himself. “Why doYou reject me?” It is worthy of note that the Hebrew word translated “reject” is a very strong word. It’s like taking a drink of milk only then to realize it is seriously spoiled. How violently do you spit it out? That’s the picture. And that is the intensity of the emotion the psalmist is feeling.

First we see how we’re being treated; in this case mistreated. We feel the pain and see the person(s) who seem to be inflicting it. But then, because we believe God controls everything, our hearts go to the fact that He is allowing it. “Why?” we ask in our grief! It seems that God has turned against us too! “Why do You reject me? Why do You allow this pain that makes me go to and fro mourning, being oppressed by this hostile person, this man of deceit and injustice, this unloving nation?”

Jesus cried from the Cross, “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?”

Job said, “Even today my complaint is bitter; His hand is heavy in spite of my groaning.
 If only I knew where to find Him; if only I could go to His dwelling! But if I go to the east, He is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find Him. But He stands alone, and who can oppose Him? He does whatever He pleases. He carries out His decree against me, and many such plans He still has in store. That is why I am terrified before Him; when I think of all this, I fear Him. God has made my heart faint.”

In Psalm 88, the psalmist complains, “My soul is full of trouble … I cry to You for help, O Lord. Why do You reject me and hide Your face from me? I have suffered Your terrors and am in despair. Your wrath has swept over me. You have taken my companions and loved ones from me; the darkness is my closest friend.”

It used to puzzle me to hear such things. “Where is their faith?” I asked myself. Then I realized the very complaint is an expression of their faith. The very fact they are praying to God in their struggle is because of their belief that He is in charge. As David said, “I believed, therefore I said, ‘I am greatly afflicted!” Now it is certainly possible to question God in unbelief. From unbelievers, we read and hear such things often, like “If there is a God, then why does He allow so much evil in the world?” In their case, the question is an expression of their unbelief. But, as in the Scripture passages above, Jesus, and Job, and the Psalmist, and even we can wrestle through the emotional turmoil of our pain “questioning” God. What’s important here is that we’re talking to Him.

Charles Spurgeon said, “He who is the Author of a mysterious trial can best expound it to us.” I believe we can say with confidence, based on the Scriptures, that it is permissible, even good, to inquire of God regarding our trials, even if at the time our emotions are raw and our questions even appear to be challenging Him. He’s a big God. He can handle it. And He “knoweth our frame, that we are but dust.” Though He must allow the trouble to accomplish some good in our life, yet in His compassion He sees our pain, He feels deeply for us, He pities our helplessness, as a mother loves and pities her helpless little baby. And so He is not offended by our seeming accusations and challenges. He wants us to talk to Him, regardless of, (yea, because of!) our current emotional state.
He is the very One who said, “No trial for the present seems joyous but grievous; but afterward yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who are exercised by it.”

So then, in the pain of our injustice, in the pain of being mistreated, even before we “get our head straight,” let us take the matter to our God. Let us fire away all the anguish and confusion and hurt, even if it seems to be aimed at Him. He can handle it. He wants us to talk to Him. And He alone will prove to be “the God of our fortress” before it is over. He alone can “fix” us. He alone can give us wisdom and strength. He alone can even give us joy in the midst of the storm.

Let us pray our hearts away! Like Jacob, let us wrestle with Him in our darkness and say, “I will not let You go, lest You bless me!”

No comments: