Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Psalm 86:14,15 – Contrasts


As usual, here is my fairly literal translation of these verses:

14O God, proud ones rise against me, and a group of violent ones seek my soul, and they have not set You before them, 15but You Adonai [are] a God compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and great [in] loving-kindness and faithfulness.

Last post I noted the existence of the hate-brigades, the people who will oppose you no matter how good or right your cause. As I noted there, unfortunately, if we don’t vigilantly, prayerfully guard our own souls against the sin of pride, we actually ourselves become the hate brigade for someone else’s good cause. The problem with us people is we’re just a fallen, wrecked bunch, all desperately in need of a Redeemer.

But, against this backdrop of human maliciousness, in verse 15 David contrasts it all with who God is: but You Adonai [are] a God compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and great [in] loving-kindness and faithfulness. Wow. What a combination of attributes. What more could we ask for? Just pause a moment and think about these five qualities and then marvel that this is who our God is! It is the very salvation of our souls that our God is compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, and great in loving-kindness and faithfulness. If He was anything less we’d have all long since dropped into hell. But thankfully for us, He is who He is.

What better God could we ask for? And what better friend? What better Father? If only we could get this knowledge, this image of God fixed in our minds. If only we could so believe it and embrace it by faith that our minds never lost sight of such divine beneficence. Then we’d have no trouble trusting Him implicitly. I’m reminded of the words to the song, “You’re everything I’ve hoped for; You’re everything I need. You are so beautiful to me.” I would pray again, “Lord, unite my heart, give me a single focus, to see You clearly for who You really are. May my heart never lose sight of the wonder of Your compassion, graciousness, patience, loving-kindness, and faithfulness.

Incidentally, I just want to interject that the Hebrew word translated “compassionate” is from the same root letters as the word for a mother’s womb. In Hebrew, the idea of compassionate includes the whole picture of the very deep love, the affection, the feelings of a mother toward her tiny baby. Again, pause and consider that is how our God sees us. Amazing love. How can it be?

Back to the contrast, what is both sad and encouraging is that we were made in God’s image. We were made to be like Him. It is sad that people are proud and violent and inject misery into each other’s existence, when from their very creation they were intended to be compassionate, gracious, patient, and great in loving-kindness and faithfulness. But there is a Redeemer! And He came to redeem! That very God of compassion, graciousness, patience, loving-kindness, and faithfulness came to earth to be our Savior, to redeem our broken perverted race, to call us to Himself, and to restore us into that image. And for those who embrace that love, He promises that all things will work together for the amazing good that we should be conformed to that image – the image of Christ – the One who is compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, and great in loving-kindness and faithfulness!

Oh that we would be that kind of friend, that kind of parent, that kind of boss and co-worker. Oh to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer. Adam’s image now efface, stamp Thine image in its place.

On the one hand, for now reality has to be that I simply cannot expect to escape people’s meanness and cruelty. But even as I see it and suffer from it, may my heart be all the more enamored with the wonder of who my God is. And as I learn to fix my gaze on Him, may He change me into His likeness.

Second Adam from above, reinstate us in Thy love!


No comments: