Sunday, October 16, 2011

Galatians 2:20,21 – Thoughts on a Favorite Passage


 Once again, here is my fairly literal translation of these verses:

20I am crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ is living in me. [The life] which I am now living in [the] flesh I am living in faith, that of the Son of God who loved me and delivered Himself on my behalf. 21I am not setting aside the grace of God, for if righteousness [comes] through law then Christ died in vain.

This verse has long been a cheery and pleasant cordial to my soul. I memorized it early in my walk with God and have found it always an endearing friend. “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me …” Thinking about it, there are three thoughts I’d like to record:

First , I like what Barnes said: “The Redeemer, by the death of the cross, became insensible to all surrounding objects, as the dead always are … Paul says that he became insensible to the law as a means of justification; to the world; to ambition and the love of money; to the pride and pomp of life; and to the dominance of evil and hateful passions. They lost their power over him; they ceased to influence him.”

I of course am still a miserable wayward sinner, but it is at the same time true that I have died to this world. Oh, I still live in it. I still love it in many ways (sometimes too many). Yet I find I really can (at times) hold it with open hands. It just isn’t THAT important to me anymore. It really is true in a sense that I’ve “died to it,” I’ve been crucified with Christ. I can do without the things of this world. But I can only do without them because I know Christ. When I face the pain of losing in this world or the pain of having to live “without” it still hurts very, very deeply. But as long as I can look into the face of Christ, know that He knows, know that He knows best, know that He loves me, know that my times are in His hands, from somewhere I find the strength to go on (for a few seconds, anyway). “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me …” Even though I all too often fail, yet I know that in Christ I’ve been freed from this world. I can literally be “dead” to it, and alive to Christ; I can be literally insensitive to its allures and feel my heart entirely Christ’s. And it’s not me, it’s Christ living in me. I find all of this (except my own waywardness) very comforting.

Second, here is one of those places where the Bible reminds us that, although God “so loved the world” (Jn 3:16) and Jesus died “for the sins of the whole world” (I John 2:2), yet at the same time His death was entirely personal for each and every one of us. Paul says, “…Who loved me and gave Himself for me.” David knew the same personal relationship: “O God, Thou art my God …” (Ps 63:1). He loved me. He gave Himself for me. He is my God. “Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Mt 11:28). It is so nice that a real relationship with God is totally and delightfully personal!

Finally, and growing out of the last point, my mind goes back to my last post, that justification by faith is a far, far better plan than works because, properly embraced and understood, this is exactly its effect – wonder at His love. If I can be justified by some checklist, then I suppose I have to add “Love God” to my list. When I know I came to him filthy and stinking and deserving hell, when I know that He offers me complete forgiveness if only I’ll accept the Christ who “loved me and gave Himself for me,” I no longer need any checklist. I love Him Who first loved me. As one man said, “There is no higher sense of obligation or duty than that generated by love.” It is no “burden” to have to do what’s right. I want to. Like Jacob, my seven years of service seem as nothing because of my love for this One who first loved me. Again, this is a far, far better way. To love, “duty” is a welcome but meaningless word. What mother ever thought it her “duty” to nurse her newborn child?? Duty? Well, yes, it is. But it isn’t. Love compels her, not “duty,” so the “duty” still gets done, but in a far, far better way.

So it is with God. To know His love is to love Him. All down through the ages, the debate has raged that Sola Fide breeds licentiousness. Mai Genoito! Justification by faith can only breed licentiousness in those who never really understood it to begin with. Real justification by faith generates people who will be moral, do right, be conscientious, love their neighbors, control their tongues, and all the other things they “ought” to do, yet never count it a burden or even see it as an obligation. Love compels them. There is absolutely no form of works-righteousness anywhere that produces people who love from their hearts. Only justification by faith in Christ – in Him who loved me and gave Himself for me. If people somewhere are claiming justification by faith but living godless lives, the answer is not to confront them with a fresh “to do” list, but rather to call them into question whether they really ever knew Him, and if they have, to perhaps see beyond their “checklist” religion and lay hold of a real relationship with Him Who loves them.

I could say more about the details of exegesis of these verses, but I’ve said enough. This brings me to the end of chapter 2 of Galatians. I think this is good spot to take a break. I am in the mood to do some Hebrew work for a while, then come back to Galatians. I plan to do a study of Psalm 139, then come back. The fun never ends!

No comments: