Sunday, September 25, 2011

Galatians 2:15,16 – Sola Fide

As usual, here is my fairly literal translation of these verses:

15We [being] Jews by nature and not out of sinners of Gentiles, 16knowing that a man is not being justified out of works of law but rather through faith of Jesus Christ, even we believe into Christ Jesus in order that we might be justified out of faith of Christ and not out of works of law, because all flesh will not be justified out of works of law.

Here we go. Here’s where Galatians joins Romans as cornerstones of the Protestant Reformation. Sola Fide. “By faith only.” This doctrine is so monumentally important, I feel like I should take off my shoes just to type about the truth of these two little verses.

Barnes does a really good job summing it all up and is worth a read on this passage.

What does it mean to be “justified?” Of course it means to be “declared right.” Anytime a person is accused of some fault or crime, there are only two ways he can be justified. He either must prove that, in fact, he is not guilty of that which he is accused, or he must demonstrate that somehow his actions were excusable. Either exonerating evidence is produced and all involved agree he did not commit the act – hence we have “justified” him – or we all say, “Yeah, normally that would be really bad, but under the circumstances …” Adam and Eve clearly could not deny their guilt so they sought to justify their sin by implicating someone else: “The woman you gave me, she …” and “The serpent deceived me …” Of course those defenses were just excuses and they yet remained accused before God’s tribunal that day.

So it is with us. We stand accused before the Law of God. “…for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Rom 3:23). Even without God’s Law, our very consciences accuse us, not to mention other people, civil law, not to be outdone by the merciless specter of regret that cruelly parades endlessly through our minds.

“Guilty!” the icy finger and cold hard eyes point at me. And what shall I answer? Not guilty? That would be laughable. Excused? Try that one all day every day but it doesn’t seem to work.

Promise to do better? Ah, now that one has captured the approving minds of the human race. It makes sense to us. We’ve come up with a “third” means of justification – I’ll do enough “good” to somehow “outweigh the bad” and then I’ll be okay. I’ll be justified.

Really? Under inspection, it isn’t even logical. How does doing anything change the fact of my guilt?

Did you do it?

Yes.

Then you are guilty.

But you don’t understand the circumstances.

Did you do it?

Yes.

Then you are guilty. Your excuses won’t work. You are guilty.

But I promise I’ll do better.

That is nice but it doesn’t change the fact of your guilt.

But I promise I’ll do a LOT better.

That’s nice but it doesn’t change the fact of your guilt.

Then what must I do to be justified?

Hopeless fool. There is nothing you can do to be justified. You.Are.Guilty. To the gallows you go.

And so it is with us. Though we run, hide, make excuses, contrive complicated defenses, sew fig leaves, feign righteousness, pretend that somehow time will erase our guilt, anaesthetize and medicate our consciousness, distract ourselves with pastimes, immerse ourselves in “church,” and more – yet that icy finger still points. Like the troubled sea which cannot rest, casting up mire and dirt -- There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked. “For by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified.”

It is the Law which condemns us. How could it ever justify us? Yet that is exactly the game-plan presented to the Galatians by the Judaizers. “Here is what you must do to be justified.” Do? I already did. That is exactly the problem. Doing now doesn’t undo my did.

Guilty.

If I travel north, eventually I’ll be going south. But how far east must I travel to begin going west? It will never happen. It is logically impossible. A hopelessly endless quest born of stupidity. So how much must I do to undo my did? It will never happen. It is logically impossible. A hopelessly endless …

Guilty.

For by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified.

Finally, the accused soul falls to the floor sobbing uncontrollably, “Lost! I am lost forever. Judgment and hell stand ready to swallow me and my guilt forever!”

But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been made known, … This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. …God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this…so as to be just and the One who justifies those who have faith in Jesus” (Romans 3:21-26).

Someone else did my time. Someone else hanged in my stead. He took my place.

What?? How can this be??

Believe it. Simply believe it.

Sola Fide.

“… knowing that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.”

There is no other way. There can be no other way. “I am the Way,” says Jesus. “Have I been with you so long and still you don’t know Me?”

“Peace, peace, and I will heal them,” saith the Lord.

Sola Fide.