Sunday, March 27, 2011

Psalm 25:10 – On Being Amazed and a Naughty Little Heart


Here is my literal translation of this verse:
“ All the paths of YHVH [are] love and faithfulness to ones keeping His covenant and His testimonies/warnings.”
As I am studying this verse, I pause and think to myself, “Here I am again: Literally nursing on the amazing depths of blessings I find. Another string of pearls. Another unexpected chest of unthinkably delightful treasures. Already I don’t want this Psalm to end. Already I can see I’ll get to the end and wish it didn’t. Tearfully I’ll be saying, ‘Good-bye, old friend,’ as I move on to some other passage.” What a treasure chest is God’s Word. I still find myself, after more than 30 years of studying it, mourning when I finish one passage or book or Psalm, not imagining that I could ever enjoy such blessing again, only to find the next study a completely new treasure chest of blessing! I open the new lid, begin to fondle its precious truths, and, once again, don’t want it to end. Oh the depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God. In Jesus truly are found all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge!

Then I find myself ashamed of my doubting heart – that there is deep within me some kind of evil unbelief as I open a new passage – a doubt that I’ll find anything there particularly helpful(!). It’s happened again and again and again, this opening of treasure chests, this doubting in my heart, only quickly to be overwhelmed by His amazing grace. I think of the poor silly Samaritan woman who foolishly said to Jesus, “But sir, the well is deep and you have nothing to draw with!” Jesus??? A well too deep??? Nothing to draw with?????  Her problem was she had no idea just how infinitely deep the well was; nor did she even begin to comprehend His limitless power to reach down into that well and draw out blessings beyond her wildest imagination.

Ah, naughty little heart of mine. Born of the same infirmity as hers.  But being amazed is part of worship. He is amazing. So, naughty little heart or not, we’ll just keep opening the treasure chest and enjoy being amazed!

2 comments:

The Hines' in Lafayette Indiana said...

Reminds me of Eph 3:14-21 - oh the depth and breadth of the love of God in Christ Jesus....

runningdude75 said...

Yeah, Mike. Totally agree. Sorry I just now found the comment.