Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Psalm 25:4-6 – More “Ways … Really!”

In my last post I offered my literal translation of these verses:

“Cause me to know Your  ways, YHVH. Train  me [in] Your paths. Cause me to travel in Your truth.  Train me because You [are] the God of my deliverance. On you I wait/hope all the day. Remember Your mercies YHVH and Your loving-kindnesses because they [are] from ages.”

I noted there what an important concept is this simple thing God calls our “way.” Again, TWOT says, “[In the Bible,] the contrast is between the way of sin/death and the way of obedience/life. These exhaust the options available to man. Man makes his own choice but he cannot choose his own consequences … The way which one chooses determines one’s destiny.”

“… No wonder the Lord admonishes us in Haggai 1:6, “Consider your ways …”

As I noted earlier, the Bible is filled from cover to cover with verses referring to this business of our “way.” There are a number of passages that especially touch my heart and I would like to quote them:

Gen 18:19 – “For I have known him, that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD, to do righteousness and justice, that the LORD may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.”

Exodus 33:13-15 – 13 “Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people.” 14 And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” 15 Then he said to Him, “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here”.

Joshua 1:8 – “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success”.

Psalm 119:9 -- How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.

Psalm 139:23,24 -- Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxious thoughts and cares; and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Proverbs 14:12 -- There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.

Isaiah 55:8,9 -- 8 “ For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.

John 14:6 – “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me”.


“Lord, cause me to know Your ways. Train me in Your paths. Cause me to travel in Your truth. Train me.”

Really.

No comments: