Saturday, January 15, 2011

II Peter – “Good-bye, Old Friend!”

As I mentioned in my last post, one of the reasons I chose to study II Peter was to ponder its similarity to Jude. There was no question in my mind that Jude is chiastically ordered and I wondered if II Peter is also … and then whether the two were interrelated.

Also as I mentioned in the last post, as I have waded through II Peter, I did in fact find a considerable amount of repetition and often that repetition does appear to be symmetrical around the center of the book, all strongly suggesting order and likely chiastic order. I am especially intrigued when the center of the book is in the area of the reference to Balaam and his greed – which is the apex of the chiasm in Jude.

However, all of that said, I simply cannot see the pattern. Lots of repetition. Repetition that often appears symmetrical. Repetition of highly significant words like “promise” and “diligence” and the “Coming.” But for all my staring and diagramming, I just can’t see the pattern. So I think I’m going to have to close the file and move on.

It is possible that the “order” used is something I’m not familiar with. Pretty much I only know to look for chiasms. There’s no question in my mind that there is in fact some kind of order going on. I just can’t see it.

Here is where I give it my best shot, pray about it, and at some point decide that now simply is not the time. If I live long enough I may come back. It may be that I have to learn some other things, grow in some other ways, know God better, then it will fall off the page in my lap.

The fact is, I have learned so much from this book. There may be more to learn if I can discern an order. But regardless, the journey has been a sweet refuge sitting at the feet of my Lord. He reminded me how much He loves me and intends to do me good (“grace and peace be multiplied to you). He explained that it is by His promises that I actually participate in His divine nature – very great and precious promises indeed! Then He laid out for me the seven virtues of 1:5-7 and explained their meaning. I particularly was struck by the concept of “group love” and have tried to remember that as I deal with the many, many different “teams” I work with day in and day out. Once again, it appeared that, if there is a chiasm, the apex centers on Balaam and his greed. In Jude I concluded that greed is the supreme symptom to watch for in those who would propose to teach the Word – whether it is greed for money, or perhaps (as in the fundamentalist camp) for power and applause. People who give any evidence at all that they’re “in it for themselves” are utterly unfit to be teaching the Word, and, in fact, according to Jude and Peter, they’re dangerous(!). Finally, it was great being reminded that “the end of it all” is quite in God’s hands. It is thrilling to me to ponder this earth and the entire universe recreated in its original perfection and then to have forever to explore its magnificence. There will definitely be some awesome camping trips! And I’m looking forward to exploring the universe – “to go where no man’s gone before”(!).

According to my records I started my study of this book on August 11, 2009. Today is January 15, 2011. It has sure been fun. But it’s time to move on. So … good-bye, old friend. Till we meet again … The Lord and I have plans to meet in Psalm 25. Only He knows what delights He has awaiting me there. He's quite the tour guide, you know! So, off we go!

No comments: