Saturday, December 18, 2010

II Peter 3:9-15a – A Single Word, A World of Meaning



9[The] Lord is not being slow of promise as some are reckoning slowness, but [He] is being patient into you, not purposing that any perish but [purposing] all to have room into repentance;

10but [the] Day of [the] Lord will come as a thief, in which the heavens shall vanish with a roar and [the] elements will be dissolved burning intensely and [the] earth and the works in it shall be burned up.

11Thus all these things being dissolved, what sort [of persons] ought you be in holy livings and godlinesses;

12looking for and eagerly desiring the coming of the Day of the God, through which [the] heavens will be dissolved burning and [the] elements are melting burning intensely?

13But, according to the promise of Him, we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

14Wherefore, beloved, looking for these things, be diligent to be found by Him to be spotless ones and blameless ones in peace,

 15and reckon the patience of the Lord of us [to be] salvation …


Sometimes a single word can mean so much. As I thought over this passage, my thoughts focused on v14, and specifically the very first word:

“Wherefore…” – Interesting. The word “wherefore” is a logic word. One lays out some kind of “facts,” then says, “Wherefore …” and draws some kind of (theoretically) logical conclusion. Ideally, the “case” presented is very convincing and compelling, so that all who listen will readily agree that your “wherefore…” is perfectly reasonable. Hopefully “it makes sense.” What strikes me is the realization that the “case” or “facts” presented are basically the “truths” presented in vv9-13 – but those “truths” are faith truths. Go back and look at them. Someone else can simply say, “I don’t believe that.” Fine (sort of). If you choose not to believe the “facts” presented in vv9-13, then you will find the “wherefore” of v14 is not compelling at all.

For myself, as I read the passage it is not just compelling, it is captivating. But why? Because I believe vv9-13. My mind finds the “truths” presented to be totally reasonable and believable. My heart “checker-outer” tells me these are facts. And they are facts of cosmic importance. They literally define my reality! In light of such facts as these, how could one help but draw a conclusion?? When I read, “wherefore…” my heart feels subpoenaed! Ten-hut, Bixby! I carefully, thoughtfully read vv9-13 and suddenly my soul is not “sleepy” anymore. Wow. So this is what’s really going on? This is where we’re all really headed. Major reality check. How can I help but say, “wherefore …” My soul wants to say, “wherefore…”

The problem is that my mind easily loses sight of those “facts.” I turn away from the passage, face the pressing issues of my very personal existence and it’s easy to forget the “real” picture. Hmmmm. I hope as I work and think and interact and speak and respond and plan, etc., today that somehow my mind can stay aware of “the facts.” The Day of the Lord will come. May my days be lived in light of His Day.

No comments: